You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Ham 0 Liverpool 2 (Jan 29 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

So that’s the game in hand finally out of the way and now we know where we all stand. It’s no longer a 13 point lead with two games in hand, or a 16 point lead with one game in hand. It’s a 19 point lead. 19 points. NINETEEN. Incredible.

Of course nobody at the club is going to make any declarations about it being over. It would be unprofessional in the extreme if they did. They know it though. Everyone knows it now. Klopp knows it. The players know it. The reason they know it is because they know that they are far too good, and more importantly, far too professional and diligent, to lose the amount of games it would take between now and May for them to not win it.

So yeah, it’s over. We’ve got the league title sewn up and it’s only a matter of ‘when’ it becomes official now. Talk has already started about where we’d like to win it. I’m not really thinking about that, I just want it done as soon as possible and ideally I’d like to clinch it at Anfield.

The way things are going it will be sooner rather than later because this team is just relentless. They don’t just want to win the league, they want to win every game and smash every record possible. Again, they won’t say that, they’ll talk about “just winning the next one”. 

Games that used to be seen as tricky are now routine. Like this one. We drew here last year and those two points proved costly in the end. Lessons have been learned though. The lesson being ‘don’t drop ANY points at all and you’ll win the league’.

It was clear from the opening kick off that this was just damage limitation for West Ham. I didn’t think for a second that we wouldn’t win this game because you could just tell that West Ham’s only intention was to keep the score down. They played five at the back and just strung them across the width of their 18 yard box. They were so deep that at one point I switched the TV on (I was watching the game on the laptop) and they were in Eastenders, lined up against the bar in the Queen Vic.

We’ve had a lot of joy this season with the ball over the top but that was never happening here as there was no room in behind them at all. Counter attacking wasn’t really possible either, because to counter attack the other team actually has to attack, and they only ever did that with about three players.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 4

• dave u pinned this topic

Gary Neville said on TV the other day that we won't get that Aguero moment when we (hopefully) win the league....Personally I think the way we are doing it is the best possible way as its a weekly death by a thousand cuts to all those #AnyoneButLiverpool gobshites from last season .

The ironic thing is if we'd won it then then this wouldn't seem so bad to them but as it is they are getting more and more rabid by the week and it's a joy to behold.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

Great stuff, Dave. I called the title weeks ago on the forum, but good to see that you're coming along now. When they won that corner prior to our second goal I was chuckling at their fans getting all excited and thought "when will they realise that's actually major chance for us?". Boy, did I feel superior ten seconds later

• Upvote 2

We’ll get an Aguero moment next year or in one of the ones following that.

This won’t be the last time we win it under Klopp, but when doing so for the first time in so long this serene procession has helped stop the pressure from becoming unmanageable. Thank fuck.

That’s what so many of them don’t get yet, the amount winning it’s going to liberate this club and make us even better. Playing without that heavy rucksack Klopp was talking about in his early stages here.

Plenty of time for closer and more exciting finishes in the years ahead.

• Upvote 5

That Don Goodman idiot doubted that it was a foul when Noble went in, studs high, on Origi's shin. It was borderline red, let alone a yellow.Embarrassing.

As for these lads in red - they're so much in control fo their destiny, they're doing as much, or as little, as they need to, to beat what's in front of them. West Ham? Cruise along in 2nd gear, pick them off. City or Leicester - step it up another level or two, beat them too.

• Upvote 1

Instead of an Aguero moment, we’ll get 2 big celebrations - when we win it and the day we get the trophy. 

Have to admit, I always thought we’d do it with something similarly as dramatic as Aguero. 

The other handball goal / game commented in the report was Murphy on MOTD about Firmino’s goal at Spurs. It was nowhere near Hendo’s hand either. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Gary Neville said on TV the other day that we won't get that Aguero moment when we (hopefully) win the league....Personally I think the way we are doing it is the best possible way as its a weekly death by a thousand cuts to all those #AnyoneButLiverpool gobshites from last season .

The ironic thing is if we'd won it then then this wouldn't seem so bad to them but as it is they are getting more and more rabid by the week and it's a joy to behold.

This is brilliant.. And so enjoyable. 

Personally I think the way we are doing it is the best possible way as its a weekly death by a thousand cuts to all those #AnyoneButLiverpool gobshites from last season

Brilliant report dave thanks. 

• Upvote 1

I’ll go back to reading it in a bit, but @dave u you really need to work on the setup for your eastenders joke.

its a belting line, and for some reason you’ve screwed it up with parenthesised background halfway through it.

tell us earlier on that you’re watching on the laptop... change it to “I switched channels on the TV...” whatever it takes, but don’t ruin a super joke with that amateur hour shite.

You’re better than that, lad.

• Upvote 1

I remember years ago my dad telling me a story about a work qualification he had to study for in his own time. The pass mark was 60; he got 70 and he was absolutely livid about it, as he said every mark over 60 that he got was evidence of needless time he spent studying when he could have been doing his own thing instead.

That's us this season. We play well enough to get past the challenge in front of us - sometimes that has to be brilliant, sometimes less so. But we seem to have worked it out because we're always putting in a level of performance that's exactly right for the opposition, which means we always have something in the tank for the bigger challenges. We're just an utterly ruthless and well-oiled machine. And it's fantastic.

• Upvote 4

Class report Dave.

one thing that annoyed me last night was when we had a free kick that Salah took instead of Trent. 

I haven’t checked this cause I’m too lazy but has Salah ever scored a free kick for us or even come close to scoring I swear everytime he takes them I end up saying “well that was fucking shit”

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, aws said:

Schoolboy error from West Ham - taking a corner against us. Should just have kicked it out for a throw in.  

You jest, but it's not the worst idea in the world. Except we're boss at throw ins now too, so a goal kick would be the better option.

3 hours ago, DaveT said:

That Don Goodman idiot doubted that it was a foul when Noble went in, studs high, on Origi's shin. It was borderline red, let alone a yellow.Embarrassing.

As for these lads in red - they're so much in control fo their destiny, they're doing as much, or as little, as they need to, to beat what's in front of them. West Ham? Cruise along in 2nd gear, pick them off. City or Leicester - step it up another level or two, beat them too.

I understand why he wouldn't think it's a red though, because he's old school and would see that as a good tackle. I can't for the life of me understand how he'd question the penalty, because that's a penalty in any era.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

The other handball goal / game commented in the report was Murphy on MOTD about Firmino’s goal at Spurs. It was nowhere near Hendo’s hand either. 

That's the one, cheers.

57 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Class report Dave.

one thing that annoyed me last night was when we had a free kick that Salah took instead of Trent. 

I haven’t checked this cause I’m too lazy but has Salah ever scored a free kick for us or even come close to scoring I swear everytime he takes them I end up saying “well that was fucking shit”

I didn't put it in the report but I did moan about that to the lads in the whatsapp chat.

47 minutes ago, Gruntfuttock said:

"So yeah, penalty. I’ll be honest, I’m not usually too confident when Mo takes pens and this was no different. I needn’t have worried though as it was right out of the top drawer. Fantastic penalty. Unsaleable."

Lets hope so!

Damn autocorrect.

4 hours ago, dave u said:

I wouldn't want 'an Aguero moment' as this is much better for the old ticker.

We can save those moments for the Champions League.

I don’t want one either but it’s more because it’s so fucking boss being so ridiculously dominant in a league that includes City. This will be an unequivocal title. A title that’s talked about by all football fans for all time for the insane margin of superiority. That’s way, way, way better than a last kick winner. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Instead of an Aguero moment, we’ll get 2 big celebrations - when we win it and the day we get the trophy. 

And it pays to remember that one person's Aguero moment could be somebody else's Michael Thomas moment. 

This way, this year is much more the best way to win it.

I'm the same with Mo's pelanties, but he has scored his last nine so may be a tad unfair.

I read a Team owner in Formula One saying that the perfect victory would be for the car to stop as soon as it is over the line, and this reminds me of how we are constantly doing just enough in games.

Won't it be a quadruple if we win the FA Cup ?  If not, which one doesn't count ?

And if we win the FA Cup, who do we play in the Charity Shield next season ?

That's up there with your best ever reports Dave, and you've got Moyles nailed. Thankfully there are no circumstances remotely physically possible for that sadsack to end up here.  About as much chance of that as us not winning that title in fact.

• dave u unpinned this topic