You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: I do not need to motivate players by speaking about points record

TLW

Jürgen Klopp says that he does not have a particular points target in mind as Liverpool continue their march to a Premier League title.

The Reds made it 23 wins from 24 games after a composed 2-0 victory over West Ham on Wednesday evening.

With the win, Liverpool also achieved the full card of victories over Premier League sides which is a first in the illustrious history of the club and only becoming the second team in the history of the league to do so following Man City in 17/18.

The victory also saw the club hit the 70 point mark in the shortest timeframe seen in English Football.

Pep Guardiola made a deal about reaching the 100-point mark during Man City’s title runs but it is not something that Klopp believes in.

Metro reported the manager as saying.

“Not sure if I have to. I was never in that situation, to be honest. I didn’t do it so far.

“Last year we had 97 points, I’m not sure if we could have had 100. Ninety-eight would have been possible, if we’d got a point maybe at City, so no, I didn’t do it.

“In the moment when I see I have a problem motivating the boys then I will have to use different things, but so far it’s not necessary. We are Liverpool and we have a proper history and everybody knows what we have to do.

“So the motivation is to reach that and not any points record. 

“If that will happen as a side effect, we will take it, but we are not only concerned about that.”

image.png

Klopp also said he did not get extra satisfaction from beating every opponent.

“Nothing like that. I don’t feel anything like that. It’s not about feeling satisfaction or whatever. I really don’t. ‘

“I was in the game completely, wanted to win it, my boys wanted to win it desperately. 

“No-one thought before the game: ‘We’ve won against 18 different teams in the league so let’s make it 19.’

“A season is like you have to dug in, and you don’t breathe pretty much, or you jump in the water and you don’t breathe and then you come out after 38 games and then you have a look at what happened.

“So that’s how we really see it.

"So nothing like that in the dressing room. I don’t want to be extremely – what’s the right word – boring, but it’s just it doesn’t feel like that.’

View full article

Guest Francie Brady

Plus if we get league wrapped up soon, we are going to see player rotation on a much more frequent basis. Why flog the players chasing a points tally the ultimately means fuck all. With euros in summer I would much rather players game time gets managed so they can be fresh as possible for start of next season. Back to back titles would mean more than an unbeaten season or 100+ points. Also small matter of trying to get number 7. I’d take loosing a league game to guarantee getting through against Atletico. Records mean fuck all, trophy’s and medals are what it’s all about.