You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (H) - Premier League - 1/2/2020 - 15:00

Bjornebye

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, jonnyp said:

The team was more fluid which created the chances for himself an others.

I think when he's scoring goals, he looks a better team player - his decisions to shoot look less selfish, and his decisions to pass look the right thing to do.

I think he's now approaching his best form of the season, which hopefully means goals and assists go up.

With him in goal-scoring overdrive - and Mane back, and Firmino just being Firmino - we could sweep all before us in the final third of the season.

I wonder after this break, if we have another couple of gears to go up.  Imagine that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skaro said:

I think when he's scoring goals, he looks a better team player - his decisions to shoot look less selfish, and his decisions to pass look the right thing to do.

I think he's now approaching his best form of the season, which hopefully means goals and assists go up.

With him in goal-scoring overdrive - and Mane back, and Firmino just being Firmino - we could sweep all before us in the final third of the season.

I wonder after this break, if we have another couple of gears to go up.  Imagine that.

Totally agree, and can understand why my initial post may have been viewed as churlish by some. You’ve presented it far more eloquently though. He’s a class player when on form, no doubt.

He’s choosing the right decision more often now, especially in this game, which for me, made the whole team tick. I suspect the recent goals he has scored has removed the angst and channeled his focus.

More gears to go up is definitely a possibility. Frightening!

• Upvote 1

When Mané got injured I said it’s time for Salah to step back up. I’m glad to see Salah gets email notifications of my posts. Last two games his work Ethic has been great, his decision making and lack of selfishness has been way better. I never want him to stop taking his chances, just to release the ball when his chance is unlikely to result in a goal and the easy pass would all but guarantee one. 

Ling May he reign. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I find this idea Southampton were hard done by bizarre, they played well first half and Liverpool were poor but second half we pulled their pants down slapped their arses and sent them on their way. Their manager is deluded. 

I think it's more like they kept up with us for a while and then they couldn't. Like me sprinting off on a marathon and leading the pack for ten minutes before fading and finishing last. At half time Southampton could have been three up, if we'd have not been playing with a goalkeeper. Most of their chances came from our poor passing. 

But yeah, luckily the games don't last 45 minutes and we do play with a goalkeeper so we thumped them. 

• Upvote 2

I think the sense of vulnerability at back this year has helped us. A number of teams have broke free from the defensive formations as they think they have upper hand. Boom we hit them on counter, then they chasing game. Our powers of defensive recovery from Allison,VVD , Gomes and even Trent is outstanding last ditch,calm, ball focused and ultimately successful.  Throw in contributions from hendo, gini and returning fab and it is not as harem scarem as would first seem . Compare and contrast with the mistakes made by experienced defenders when we break and are in their box eg Robertson’s pull back on by line and pass back and bobby’s delicious threaded pass back to Hendo. We can experience that type of opportunity we would have made the decision making a lot harder. All down to pace (and ability) it’s one thing anticipating what attackers are going to do another getting in a position to change their minds. Think it was VVD’S positioning made Ings change his mind from shot to pass midway through first half. He shoots against any other team.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Well, extrapolating from what I read on bluemoon, we should have all four goals chalked off and they should have a pen. By rights, that’s a 0-1 loss. Should be ashamed of ourselves. 

Well that's a bit like asking the inhabitants of a mental health unit to discuss sanity.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I find this idea Southampton were hard done by bizarre, they played well first half and Liverpool were poor but second half we pulled their pants down slapped their arses and sent them on their way. Their manager is deluded. 

I didn't see the first half but, as a rule, if a team plays well for 45 minutes and doesn't score, it's usually because the other team successfully contains them.

If the other team then twats them 4-0 in the second 45, it's hard to argue that they deserved anything. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

City 2 years ago were strangely immune from this. Everyone just seemed to accept it - "They've bought loads of very good players and they've got the right manager - of course they're strolling to the title."

True. I reckon there are a couple of things at play: one, their ridiculous resources led to a squad strength that enables a style of play that has typically scared the shit out of teams to the point that it’s a formality that they’ll sweep them aside, rendering the odd botched decision an irrelevance.

Related to said resources is the glamour factor - “Ooooh, look at their fancy spending! Look everyone, it’s Pep! Pep Guardiola! In ENGLAND!” That, along with the fact that they’re not a traditionally big club with decades of past glory, probably afforded them a pass from many.

• Upvote 1