You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reintroducing animals to the UK

Sugar Ape

Which animal would you reintroduce?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which animal would you reintroduce?

• Birds of prey
    • Wading birds
    • Beavers
    • Elks
    • Wildcats
    • Moose
    • Wild Boar
    • Lynxes
    • Wolves
    • Bison
    • Brown Bears

1 minute ago, Remmie said:

Who would win out of a Grizzly and Polar bear provided they were the same height?

I think a polar bear would; they seem faster and more athletic. Grizzlies eat salmon but polar bears eat seals, they kill them as they surface at breathing holes by  dragging them out and then biting their head with powerful jaws.

Of course an inner city monkey with knife skills would defeat either. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Nunavut Patrick said:

I think a polar bear would; they seem faster and more athletic. Grizzlies eat salmon but polar bears eat seals, they kill them as they surface at breathing holes by  dragging them out and then biting their head with powerful jaws.

Of course an inner city monkey with knife skills would defeat either. 

Yeah I think I heard Polar bears kill Whales by breaking their airholes, waiting for them to drown and then pull them out the water and munch. Even as a vegetarian I'm impressed by that.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Isn't polar bear the only meat humans can't eat.

No, I've eaten it. 

You cannot consume the liver hiwever; it will poison you as it stores loads of toxins. 

However, seal liver is prized by the Inuit to keep you warm as ingesting it will make you sweat your bollocks off.  I've never esten it but have been around Inuit who have and they start sweating after having it.

Seal eye is also a delicacy. 

2 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Yeah I think I heard Polar bears kill Whales by breaking their airholes, waiting for them to drown and then pull them out the water and munch. Even as a vegetarian I'm impressed by that.

They will occasionally hunt beluga whales, probably narwal as well although where I lived there were not any narwal- plenty of beluga whales though. When they do eat whales its mainly foraging  on whale carrion - often you will see a wee Arctic fox keeping a safe distance from a polar bear andvthen when the bear is full move in to scavenge. 

Seals are their main snack. 

11 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

They will occasionally hunt beluga whales, probably narwal as well although where I lived there were not any narwal- plenty of beluga whales though. When they do eat whales its mainly foraging  on whale carrion - often you will see a wee Arctic fox keeping a safe distance from a polar bear andvthen when the bear is full move in to scavenge. 

Seals are their main snack. 

Attenrbroughs got a signed picture of you AC Slatering on his wall. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Low carb that.

Very keto.

The bear population is quite healthy in Canada and some Inuit attribute it to the collapse of the seal hunt. Now that we can't club the fat oily bastards their numbers have exploded and they are  plentiful and easir to nab by the bears, even if the ice doesnt freeze up as soon as it used to.

Nature has its way, need those apex predators to keep shit in order. 

48 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

No-ones mentioned dinosaurs. I know they weren't on the official list but if we could dump a bit fuck off T-Rex in the middle of Bromley town centre that would be decent. 

We've already got those in one place. We call it the House of Lords.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/01/2020 at 12:40, Pidge said:

Beavers are already being reintroduced, would also like to see more effort to establish populations of red squirrels. Or maybe pine martens to give greys a predator.

Careful they have derailed trains over here.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/canada/article-beavers-may-have-contributed-to-fatal-train-derailment-in-northern/