You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers: Klopp is well within his right to rest senior players for Cup replay 

TLW

Jürgen Klopp has a strong ally in his decision to give his senior players a week off during the scheduled winter break rather than play in the fourth round replay against Shrewsbury.

Klopp has received some criticism in some quarters, but Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers spoke strongly in favour of the German. 

The Echo reported the Northern Irishman as saying:

“He's well within his rights to do that.

“That's why you have your first-team squad, you have reserve players and why you have youth players.

"I said a number of weeks ago that the load that is put on players and the pressure that some players have over the December, Christmas period, this week was designed (to help that).

“It's not really you would say a break, but it's something at least for the players to have and to go away and recover a little bit.

"To then organise the replays within that was ridiculous.

Rodgers believes managers should have every right to pick their team because player welfare should be at the forefront of everyone’s minds.

“Jurgen is within his rights to pick whatever team he wants to pick.

"If he's going to decide to rest all his players for the benefit of the club, because that's who he is employed by, then that's what he does and he has every right to do that."

Importantly, Gini Wijnaldum is also right behind his manager’s actions and spoke about how important this break is for a player. 

'Since I've been in the Premier League I've played the season without a winter break but I also know, before I came to the Premier League, how good it is for a player to have some rest.

'After the rest you can go again. Your body is more rested than if you keep on going, so that's a good thing.

“As a player you want to be involved in every game there is but you also have to deal with your body and sometimes your body just says that it is not the right choice to do.

'You just have to see how the situation is but if the manager decides that the younger players are going to play the game then we should accept it.'

Former Manchester United and England defender Rio Ferdinand understood the reasoning, but believed that Klopp should be on the touchline for the contest.

"When you are a successful team, you are fighting on all fronts and Liverpool are doing that. I totally understand you have to shuffle your pack.

“He wants to make sure his squad remains fresh and if he thinks he can get through to the next round with a younger team, then so be it. 

“It's a great experience for those players.

“The only issue I have and he's taking a liberty in some ways, is if he's not actually going to be in the dugout.

“That's where I draw the line. I think the manager should be in the dugout for every game.

'It doesn't matter whether he's putting out a depleted squad or not."

1 hour ago, A_S said:

People really can't let the Rodgers thing go, can they? This, despite the fact he is supporting Klopp on this issue 100%. 

The only good thing about Rodgers being at this club was it led to Klopp.  The blokes a cunt and is only supporting himself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Trumo said:

Ferdinand has to realise that even the coaching staff need a rest. Sure they might not be the ones running around on matchdays but they are hands-on with every other aspect.

I read somewhere that Klopp is second only after Salah when it comes to demand from sponsors, partners etc. He has to constantly attend all sorts of commercial events, meetings and photoshoots. 

Big risk he gets exhausted at some stage and call it a day, and if anyone deserve a week off it’s him.

To be fair all the managers who had pressers today were asked about Klopp. They ask the question then make a headline like “Rodgers says...”

I saw Pep supporting Klopp earlier and even Moyes said  ‘it’s Jurgen’s business’

• Like 1