You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The FA Cup reaction

WhiskeyJar

21 hours ago, Trumo said:

He HAS to keep making a fuss because the FA, the EFL and the PL have their heads up their arses over the fixture schedule. If he kept quiet and just "got on with it", there is no chance this issue gets any head of steam with the media which is exactly what is needed.

The man himself has said exactly the same today:

"If we find a way to play it then nothing will change and we have to change it."

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp defends FA Cup stance

2 minutes ago, skaro said:

And Arsenal lost to second division West Ham in the Final.

Trevor Brooking aye!!

Always find it funny how we can all recall stuff like that from cup 40 years ago but ask me what happened in 2016 and i wouldn't have a clue!

Shame what cup has become...look at that vid stickman posted and what it used to be!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I guess Shrewsbury will get a fraction of the revenue from the replay they could have expected now Liverpool have slashed ticket prices. I have some sympathy if that's the case.

True, but they have a better chance to win and it’s away to Chelsea in the next round. So another payday 

1 minute ago, moof said:

True, but they have a better chance to win and it’s away to Chelsea in the next round. So another payday 

Sure but that wasn't known at the time Klopp said he and the 1st team wouldn't be there. I totally get the arguments both ways but it does add to the criticism of Liverpool for being arrogant. My take on the decline of domestic cups is that it is largely the effect of having so many foreign coaches and star players. They want to come to the big teams here to get international recognition and have not grown up with traditions and history of the FA cup. 

It's gone now , even the replays used to add drama to the competition , and will never be the same. I'm saddened if I'm honest and fear we will be a scapegoat for sticking a final nail in the coffin even of that is not true. 

34 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I guess Shrewsbury will get a fraction of the revenue from the replay they could have expected now Liverpool have slashed ticket prices. I have some sympathy if that's the case.

Man City and Newcastle charged fuck all for kids and the bare minimum for adults. I see Derby are charging £15 for their replay so it's the going rate if you're playing minnows at home.

1 minute ago, magicrat said:

I doubt it was much of a "consultation"

I’m sure if Shrewsbury Town Had a problem with it they’d have let everyone know. You just appear to be looking for reasons to slate the club where there are none.

Just now, Anubis said:

I’m sure if Shrewsbury Town Had a problem with it they’d have let everyone know. You just appear to be looking for reasons to slate the club where there are none.

I'm not slating the club, plenty of other out there to do that. As as said I totally get the arguments both ways.

It is allowed to feel differently about what's happened .

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Anyone worrying about other fans negative perception of Liverpool and Klopp over this have you forgotten about #AnyoneButLiverpool already ?

Yes! This is a massive PR disaster and people should be sacked for this.

In no time, other fans will be singing "in your Liverpool slums" and "you'll never work again" et al. I thought we'd all moved on from these stereotypes: it's been great to live in enlightened times,free from those chants, and I'd hate to see those dark days ever come back. Can anyone think back and remember those days when fans used to sing "feed the Scousers, let them know it's Christmas time?"

Well Klopp's attitude has given other, objective, fans the go-ahead to be rude about us (well, you lot, as I live down south now, in a gumpdrop house on Lollipop Lane).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

Sure but that wasn't known at the time Klopp said he and the 1st team wouldn't be there. I totally get the arguments both ways but it does add to the criticism of Liverpool for being arrogant. My take on the decline of domestic cups is that it is largely the effect of having so many foreign coaches and star players. They want to come to the big teams here to get international recognition and have not grown up with traditions and history of the FA cup. 

It's gone now , even the replays used to add drama to the competition , and will never be the same. I'm saddened if I'm honest and fear we will be a scapegoat for sticking a final nail in the coffin even of that is not true. 

Not for me.  It's that UEFA has hogged all the midweek dates with the group stages of the Champions League and Europa League.  Back in ye glorious Ronnie Radford olden days there'd be one team in the European Cup going through knockout rounds, then another 3 or 4 in the Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup.  They could play a max of 9 games to win it, with the likelihood that the first round was against a bunch of part timers.  There was also a chance that you could get knocked out early after playing 2 or 4 matches.

This year there's 4 English teams playing a minimum of 6 games, and we played 13 to win it last year.  It's the same for the Europa League, which used to be a great knockout tournament and is now an interminable group stage mess.

Unless they cut down the European competition there will be no room for the domestic cups for the top teams. 

International football is another load of over played shite as well - and again this affects the best players more than others.

When talking about the history of trophies, the term cup has less importance than winning the title. For years we've been hearing how the Premier League was much harder than the Champions league as you needed to be consistent over a longer period but its importance is just as great. Compare that to the 2 domestic cups and the importance starts to wane a bit. Would you rather the FA Cup, title or the Champions League? I remember when we were classified as a cup team, an almost bad term used for teams that aren't complete and can only win cups. 

Should we be going for every trophy? Of course, no one is debating that, but if I had to choose due to the resources of the team I would bin the FA Cup. Whilst its arguably the most famous of domestic cup competition in the world, its international and financial benefits are substantially less than the other titles.

Essentially it's a cup, the prestige of winning it are considerably outweighed by the Premier league and Champions League.

16 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

We should take the whole month off.

We could always invite the relevant parties - PL, FA, the head of BBC Sport, and that bellend from Accrington Stanley - to a meeting at the base of the Radio City Tower. Meanwhile, we have the players up in the Radio City saucer, hanging their bums out the window, and commence to shit on them from a great height.