You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The FA Cup reaction

WhiskeyJar

Klopp could have been a bit more restrained in his response. He was determined to make a point about the scheduling, but if he'd just waited a few days before making that point he would have looked less petty. 

Still, everything the club does now triggers a hysterical response from the usual suspects. What I like to call Liverpool Derangement Syndrome is all pervasive at this stage. Way too many people have consoled themselves at the ineptitude of their club and those running it by saying that at least they haven't fallen as far as Liverpool. That consolation is being slowly torn from their grasp and they don't like it, not one bit. Oddly enough, the people who are least deranged are Man Utd fans. All good things etc.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The point be is rightly making is that the team playing that night will be representing the first team. It’s not even an argument to suggest otherwise. 

Klopp: “Could I be here for the game? Of course I could, but this is a misunderstanding of managing and coaching. They (the Under 23 side) need their coach and this is Critch.”

We're treating it like it's the u23 team playing, not the first team. That's the point. And because of that, logically, the u23 coach will manage the game. I don't understand what the confusion is here.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Klopp: “Could I be here for the game? Of course I could, but this is a misunderstanding of managing and coaching. They (the Under 23 side) need their coach and this is Critch.”

We're treating it like it's the u23 team playing, not the first team. That's the point. And because of that, logically, the u23 coach will manage the game. I don't understand what the confusion is here.

Like I said. The first team are being represented on the pitch in the replay. Klopp manages the first team. I can understand why you are confused. 

23 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Like I said. The first team are being represented on the pitch in the replay. Klopp manages the first team. I can understand why you are confused. 

Well you're not gonna get what you want and for a good reason, so it's gonna up to you to understand that reason, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Aventus said:

Should have just played the strongest team, they have their break coming up anyway, so what's an extra hour or so.

The team we put out was more than good enough. Hell, it was a better 11 that beat Everton in the previous round. It was just a piss poor performance combined with a fantastic effort from Shrewsbury.  

Personally I think our Under 23s will beat them. I'd actually be a bit worried about our academy if they can't beat a team struggling at the lower end of League One.

26 minutes ago, Baltar said:

The team we put out was more than good enough. Hell, it was a better 11 that beat Everton in the previous round. It was just a piss poor performance combined with a fantastic effort from Shrewsbury.  

Personally I think our Under 23s will beat them. I'd actually be a bit worried about our academy if they can't beat a team struggling at the lower end of League One.

You seen much of our young centre backs mate, they have played against older players a few times this season and it hasn’t been good.

• Upvote 1

I doubt many people will agree but secretly I don’t mind losing this replay. The game against Shrewsbury barely registered for me, on an emotional level, and I’ve not watched a single minute of any FA cup game other than ours this season. The competition doesn’t carry the same meaning any more, it’s become a distraction from the serious business. 

• Upvote 1

The solution is so simple. Get rid of the League Cup and ditch replays. Watch clubs magically care about the FA Cup again when there is only one domestic cup and the fewer games lessens the need to rotate.

Unfortunately, more games = more money and that's all the greedy bastards in England care about, despite the fact managers are unhappy and the on-pitch product suffers. Other leagues and nations have figured it out and reduced games, maybe the morons in England will too at some point.

18 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The solution is so simple. Get rid of the League Cup and ditch replays. Watch clubs magically care about the FA Cup again when there is only one domestic cup and the fewer games lessens the need to rotate.

Unfortunately, more games = more money and that's all the greedy bastards in England care about, despite the fact managers are unhappy and the on-pitch product suffers. Other leagues and nations have figured it out and reduced games, maybe the morons in England will too at some point.

Ditch replays altogether? It still freaks my nut out to this day that they did away with cup final replays.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

When I was younger I remember Arsenal playing Leeds every day for about 2 weeks. Don't think a goal was scored in the first week.

We had a series with Arsenal as well 1980 semi - sure it went to 3 replays before they beat us 1-0 and in the middle of it all we played them in league as well!

• Like 1