You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The FA Cup reaction

WhiskeyJar

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

And that confirms that the clubs cannot charge less than £10 admission fee. Ergo, the FA determines the price of the tickets. If Liverpool wanted to give free admission or charge a fiver for the replay, it cannot.

Determining a minimum amount is not setting the ticket price, it’s setting a minimum.

That whole article is about the clubs setting the price, aside from the £10 that goes to the FA. The premier league take a cut of league matches too - that’s not setting the price. Anything over a tenner is set by the clubs.

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Why was there no fume for Watford playing a reserve side against Tranmere denying their fans a game against the famous Manchester United?

Why aren't Alan Brazil and all the other twats on Talksport foaming at the mouth when Championship teams do it even against Premier league opposition?

At least Anfield will be full next week compared to all the empty seats you see on the highlights of the round on MOTD.

The main issue is IMO the way Klopp is using this to make a statement. He could easily field a weakened side with no fuss, if he didn’t give such a combative interview. The whole delegation of his duties to Critchley tbf isn’t on IMO. He’s the manager of the club and the fans should always expect to see him on the sidelines in an official game. 

21 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

The main issue is IMO the way Klopp is using this to make a statement. He could easily field a weakened side with no fuss, if he didn’t give such a combative interview. The whole delegation of his duties to Critchley tbf isn’t on IMO. He’s the manager of the club and the fans should always expect to see him on the sidelines in an official game. 

Since when are U23 league and cup games not official games.

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Yep. Jurgen Klopp has earned the right to do whatever the fuck he wants and I’m fine with that. 

Exactly, why the heck are we questioning him on this issue? Ok I'd love to win the FA Cup but you know what I would love to win more? The fucking league title. And don't tell me it's already in the bag, it's not over until the Premiership trophy is safely in our cabinet. If Jurgen thinks we need to rest the first team in order to secure the league title, then that should be enough for any Liverpool fan. Is he also making a statement about the FA and the Premier League not being aligned on the winter break? Maybe he is, but I just don't give a shit about that. Let Jurgen do whatever he wants, and let the critics be damned.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Yep. Jurgen Klopp has earned the right to do whatever the fuck he wants and I’m fine with that. 

I love him mate, I think he’s ace... but I don’t this he has earned the right to treat the match-going fans with contempt. 

• Downvote 3

36 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

He HAS to keep making a fuss because the FA, the EFL and the PL have their heads up their arses over the fixture schedule. If he kept quiet and just "got on with it", there is no chance this issue gets any head of steam with the media which is exactly what is needed.

• Upvote 1

Just now, viRdjil said:

I love him mate, I think he’s ace... but I don’t this he has earned the right to treat the fans with contempt though. 

You’re talking nonsense. The vast majority of people who are up in arms about the possibility of us playing the kids are fans of other teams with faux outrage and an axe to grind. 

Fuck ‘em. We’ll do what’s best for us. Maybe Jurgen will change his mind and play a few senior fringe players. Maybe he won’t. Whatever he decides I’ll support it. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

The main issue is IMO the way Klopp is using this to make a statement. He could easily field a weakened side with no fuss, if he didn’t give such a combative interview.

Exactly. He wants this to be an issue. He obviously believes very strongly in what he is saying. 

There is a question all the critics aren't asking though...does he have a point? His team are on a sustained run of excellence almost unheard of in England. Well on the way to 190-200 points across two league seasons, plus 2x CL finals, one victorious and a massive chance to win the league this time around.  And never has a team had to endure fixture issues such as those in the respective domestic cups in a single season. 

The great irony is that the most criticism comes in a season when collectively Liverpool are enjoying some of their better runs in the domestic cups since Klopp's first season...when Liverpool finished 8th. And all this mainly thanks to the kids, whose very presence supposedly equals disrespect! 

Fuck those banging on about tradition too. Tradition makes way at the first sign of £££ yet is a convenient argument when it suits. The semis being played at Wembley is a case in point. 

Anyway, Klopp is a big enough figure whose methods are clearly working. I'm sure he'll give a fuck about the brow beaters while he's polishing the trophies he won while they were moaning about 'respect'. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I’d prefer he come out like this and point out how the Premier League and FA are at logger heads with the whole winter break 

The PL told all clubs no matches, yet the FA Cup replays are now been placed in that period.

Of course he could have said nothing until

matchday, but that wouldn’t highlight the incompetence that both the FA and PL are showing here.

As for Klopp handing the reigns to Critchley, good!!! All the first team have, in some ways, been rotated and had a period of rest / missed games, with the only exception - Jurgen and the back room staff. They’re the ones who prep the team, training, tactics etc and whilst that may not have the physical drains of playing on a football field it can have the same, if not more, impact on fatigue, mentally.

If you’re custodians of the game with the welfare of participants at the core, then you don’t flog it to death (I know neither the FA and PL care about welfare, but let’s humour ourselves for a second) but if you don’t look after the welfare of the players then the “product” starts to devalue!

That is where the problem is further deep rooted, more competitions, more games, equals more money for FIFA / UEFA / PL / FA, but there just isn’t enough time to go around. We are almost at the point where we have football 12 months of the year, it’s unsustainable and something has to give!!