You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The FA Cup reaction

WhiskeyJar

I just thought I'd have a peek at what the media are saying about this, bloody hell overreaction is far too mild a word for it. 

It seems all the cry arses that are struggling with our achievements and current league position have now found a fresh release for their bitterness and hate. 

Klopp should put in a self cert for the day, pull a sickie and fuck off to somewhere warm to recuperate. 

The FA are clearly hypocrites and hadn't had the bollocks to change the rules on the FA cup to align with the Winter Break policy. Fair enough expose them for that and kick up a fuss.

However, don't make us a genuine PR target. Do we want to be booed now until the end of the season with every gobshite nonentiy having a go at us and Klopp? They are just waiting for any excuse and we are just serving it up on a platter. Fair enough, Klopp is pissed off with this but now is not the time for that battle when an easy compromise is just sat there. Play the second string, plus the kids. If necessary let your assistant manager manage the game. Don't fucking advertise it and make a big stand. We are just cutting our nose off hear to spite our face. It's unnecessary and distracting and most of it is of our own making (if we don't just compromise).

I like the fact that Klopp dropped in the point about the letter from the PL, because any journo wanting to milk this story is going to have to seek out a copy of that letter or risk someone else beating them to it. Journos hate to have someone else beat them to the punch. In the meantime, without accusing anybody of anything directly, Klopp has hinted at how the lack of communication and collaboration between the various ruling bodies is what creates the sort of mess that forced him to effectively forfeit a League Cup tie at Aston Villa as well as potentially forfeit an FA Cup replay against Shrewsbury. We are doing what we've been asked to do, and if it ends up making the competition look bad, that is on others not on us.

Fuck me, we're really getting pelters from all sides. Andy Holt, chairman of Accrington Stanley is calling for us to be 'censored and fined, heavily.' He's stopping short of asking for us to be thrown out of the cup for some reason though!

Im loving this bad boys image we're cultivating, we'll be overtaking Millwall at this rate!

45 minutes ago, Anubis said:

More importantly, the FA knew there was a winter break and we’re probably aware of the letter the PL had sent, so why have they not done anything about it. It shouldn’t be on clubs, it should be on the tournament organisers. But they all love their little fiefdoms. Oxford Utd drew with Newcastle at the weekend and even their manager and Chairman think there shouldn’t be replays. That exposes the myth of it being for the little clubs. 

I was going to say I saw Steve Bruce before our game really moaning about his replay being in the break.

It would be nice if the League and the FA could communicate occasionally!

31 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, modern football is turd.

Resting players in a derby is bollocks. I’ll never get over that. Not even a slight on Klopp, but the way the game is as a whole.

The double standards in football reeks too. If this was mourinho, he’d be getting battered on here and defended by whatever club’s fans he was at. Consistency, reasoning and sensibility goes out the window. Bollocks.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, belarus said:

Resting players in a derby is bollocks. I’ll never get over that. Not even a slight on Klopp, but the way the game is as a whole.

The double standards in football reeks too. If this was mourinho, he’d be getting battered on here and defended by whatever club’s fans he was at. Consistency, reasoning and sensibility goes out the window. Bollocks.

Yeah, true enough. People whine on here every now and then about Manchester United forever ruining the competition by not entering in 1999/00. Didn't have any negative effect on my enjoyment of our 2001 and 2006 wins.

I'm really not that arsed about all this though. Christ, just look at where we are in the league and the serious business in Europe is about to begin too.

In broader terms, I do like that Klopp is being given the full backing of the club on issues like this. They know who the main man is.  In fairness, his intuition is usually pretty great.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fuck me, we're really getting pelters from all sides. Andy Holt, chairman of Accrington Stanley is calling for us to be 'censored and fined, heavily.' He's stopping short of asking for us to be thrown out of the cup for some reason though!

Im loving this bad boys image we're cultivating, we'll be overtaking Millwall at this rate!

This is the sad little bellend.

23923354-7933409-image-m-24_158011684868

He couldn’t come up with much of a response when a Newcastle fan pointed out that Shrewsbury were still going to get a payday at Anfield, and that they’d have a bigger chance of winning and getting another payday in the next round.

17 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah we love it until we start moaning about getting booed and all the negative press.

This has a Suarez t-shirt vibe about it where most thought the club was doing an ace job until we later did a quick u-turn and everyone was saying 'who the fuck came up with that idea'.

It really doesn't have to be that complicated. Highlight the FA's hypocrisy and general incompetence and then compromise by playing the players who could do with the fucking minutes anyway. 

• Upvote 3

Spot on this from Football365.

Surprised not to see more emails like Eoghan’s in the morning mails. When I sit down to watch a live FA Cup game on the BBC I’m reminded of the wonderful Simpsons quote by Monorail charlatan Lyle Lanley “Y’know, a town with money is like a mule with a spinning wheel. No one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it!”. This is the Beeb when it comes to their handling of these games. The editorial decision that any team playing Premier League opposition no matter where they sit in English football’s hierarchy are to be cast as plucky underdog, patronised and rooted for. The preening Premier League Peacocks up against the hardworking salt of the earth arbiters of football’s dying soul. This could be a championship first team, doesn’t matter, the narrative is used. It’s embarrassing. In commentary this manifests itself as the trumpeting of any rudimentary footballing tasks being executed. A successful dribble, completed pass or shot on target is greeted with cloying appreciation that borderlines on insulting. Simultaneously any major error is glossed over with the usual “he did so well to get in that position but he’ll be disappointed with that”. Any Premier League mistake of a similar calibre and we are reminded of the wage gap and budget of the teams.

This continues into the studio and was particularly prevalent in the tone of the Shrewsbury v Liverpool coverage. Ian Wright was asked if he was happy at the lack of VAR as it would have possibly given Liverpool a penalty and denied Shrewsbury theirs, his response was basically he’s happy it wasn’t there because it served the underdog and thus created more ‘drama’. Ian, seriously? Then we have Gary’s reaction to the pitch invasion, “great to see, all very good natured” he reliably informed us. Cheers Gary, I’m sure stewards up and down the land will be thanking you for emboldening future FA Cup crowds to follow suit. Then we had the panel waving and thumbs upping those fans who had gathered round below the studio. Deliciously Roman the way Gary dangled the fabled cup in the faces of the amassed peons and Andy Warhol enthusiasts clutching their Roy Of The Rovers comics.

Yes there is scope for lauding the underdog and enjoying the unfamiliar surrounds of a ground from League One or below but please stop turning every game into David vs Goliath. It cheapens it when the comparison is actually apt.
Damien Quill

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

If Andy Holt is bothered about big clubs killing smaller ones, perhaps he could campaign to get the FA let lower league clubs switch cup ties to PL grounds if they wish? Or, perhaps ask that the FA gives up it's share of home gate receipts when lower league clubs play each other in the cup as well?

It seems a bit obscene to me that the FA takes its share of all gate receipts in every round of the cup and then promptly hand over £6m is it, to the winners who are as it turns out, always a PL club!

There's a lot of horse shit flying around over Jurgen's stance but, the way I see it, shrewsbury are getting a big payday (good luck to them) and, a great chance to progress in the cup and maybe get another PL club away in the next round.

All our fans now know what sort of team and manager will be in situ for the replay.

We will lose this and it seems a bit silly not to play a few players just back from injury. I guess the point is you can't tell Salah, Mane, Virg etc to go off on a holiday but tell others your staying and no break. 

You'd think there would be a few asking to play, those not getting many games. Shaqiri, Lallana, Lovren etc 

But the coaches and medical staff know best. If they feel the break is needed so be it. Should have done the job yesterday. 

30 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd like a few of the senior players to have a word with Klopp and say they want to play. The likes of Milner, Fabinho, Shaqiri, Origi, Matip, Adrian who don't get much game time should be dying to play in this. 

This may be the face saver. I'd be surprised if we don't back down.