You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The FA Cup reaction

WhiskeyJar

We've been called arrogant on social media and some are even demanding that we be docked points for Klopp latest statement about the winter break.

Its embarrassing for the club apparently that we try to protect players.

No, what's embarrassing that we follow the Premier League guidelines whilst the FA go about their own schedule without consulting any other organisation.

This just goes to show how out of touch with things the FA are. The letter the Premier league sent out was March 2019 correct? So the FA & League have had 10/11 months to resolve this potential issue.  Not the clubs fault at all.  The FA & Premier League should've had better communications. 

18 minutes ago, WhiskeyJar said:

We've been called arrogant on social media and some are even demanding that we be docked points for Klopp latest statement about the winter break.

Its embarrassing for the club apparently that we try to protect players.

No, what's embarrassing that we follow the Premier League guidelines whilst the FA go about their own schedule without consulting any other organisation.

These are the same social media posters who are fuming that Liverpool will play a U23 side in the replay that gives shrewsbury a great chance of winning at Anfield, getting a big payday and potentially, see them play in the next round? Or do they want a full strength Liverpool to smash shrewsbury and see Liverpool into the next round instead?

The faux fume from oppo fans just gets better.

• Upvote 2

I couldn't care less about an FA Cup replay but it's clear Klopp is being stubborn over his "there are too many games" point. I think he's being sly because there's no way the FA wouldn't have told clubs about the possibility of there being a replay in the middle of the winter break. He's just thinking I don't care and want the senior players to have the rest so he's feigning ignorance. If people are mad at that, fair enough. Who cares about those people, really. 

2 minutes ago, magicrat said:

It was obvious he was I going to get flack over his stance on this. Some is warranted imo . Bowing out of the Carabao cup was fair enough but this feels wrong imo when it’s possible for most of the first teamers to still have a week off 

It isnt though. It means all the first team coaching staff, physio's and manager all need to be in as well. Someone even posted yesterday they dont think Klopp needs the break either! It also means without the rest of the first team squad, the players cannot go through training pitch routines and set pieces etc.

I'd like to win the FA Cup even though I couldn't list most of the recent winners.

However, it's even better that we have a manager who isn't afraid to take a stand.

And I wouldn't completely rule us out of progression if Jones, Elliott, Williams and Chirivella are playing.

• Upvote 1

A small compromise would be to let some of our returning to fitness senior players almost volunteer to play for want of a better phrase. Keita, shaq, Milner, matip and lov all need game time. Letting them stick around wouldn't be too bad seeing as they're getting or gave gotten plenty of rest whilst being injured

To be honest, I didn’t even know there was a winter break! However, scheduling the replay to take place during the break is absolutely ridiculous. That said, the club must have known there was a possibility of a replay during it and that Klopp and the senior players wouldn’t participate, so I would have rather we made a stance from the outset and didn’t bother entering the competition.

I couldn't care less about 'rival' fans on social media. They despise us and cannot stomach seeing us successful. The hatred from them on social media has gone through the roof in recent seasons so them moaning about ANYTHING we do is to be expected. All the more important that our fans don't encourage them by agreeing with their stupid views, even if we do privately feel Klopp is in the wrong. The manager is doing everything that's in the best interest of the club, if you don't believe that you should go away and have a word with yourself. Whatever Jurgen thinks is best for the team and the club is more than good enough for me. Fans of other clubs that don't like it and are moaning about it can go and fuck themselves. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

These are the same social media posters who are fuming that Liverpool will play a U23 side in the replay that gives shrewsbury a great chance of winning at Anfield, getting a big payday and potentially, see them play in the next round? Or do they want a full strength Liverpool to smash shrewsbury and see Liverpool into the next round instead?

The faux fume from oppo fans just gets better.

This is bang on the money. I personally would like to see some of the fringe/recently injured players get game time as they patently need it, but if we don't go along that route then it gives all the haters more of a chance to see Liverpool knocked out (which they would absolutely love).

Faux fume is exactly what it is.

"Having felt like he was banging his head against a brick wall, Klopp has now decided to take a stand. His post-match declaration that Liverpool will play “the kids” in their FA Cup fourth round replay against Shrewsbury Town at Anfield wasn’t an idle threat or an emotional reaction to a wretched second-half performance after seeing his much-changed side throw away a 2-0 lead.

Instead it was a public declaration of a plan carefully agreed with Liverpool’s American owners behind the scenes last week in the event of their clash at New Meadow ending in stalemate. Klopp told Fenway Sports Group president Mike Gordon that he believed it was vital that all his senior players were given the full week’s rest he had promised them during the inaugural Premier League winter break regardless of the club’s ongoing participation in the FA Cup.

The club’s owners were supportive – backing the manager’s belief that it’s the best policy to maximise Liverpool’s chances of not only winning the Premier League title but also retaining the Champions League. Liverpool’s hierarchy share Klopp’s opinion that it’s ridiculous that the replay, which will take place at Anfield on February 4 or 5, falls within the winter break which the Football Association fought long and hard to be introduced in order to bolster England’s chances when it comes to major tournaments."

Above taken from piece in The Athletic...

https://theathletic.com/1558576/2020/01/27/klopp-liverpool-fa-cup-replay-winter-break-shrewsbury/

I want Liverpool to win the league this season. And maybe the Champions League too. The FA Cup would be nice too, but if pushing to win that diminishes our chances of winning the first two trophies, then sacrifices will have to be made. 

We're not the first team to field a weakened team in a cup competition and we won't be the last either. Jurgen Klopp is the manager of Liverpool Football Club. The decisions he makes should be motivated by putting the interests of the club that employs him first. He has no obligation to act in the best interests of other clubs, particularly Accrington Stanley, or to act in a manner which protects the standing of an already massively devalued cup competition. 

People need to mind their own beeswax. 

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

To be honest, I didn’t even know there was a winter break! However, scheduling the replay to take place during the break is absolutely ridiculous. That said, the club must have known there was a possibility of a replay during it and that Klopp and the senior players wouldn’t participate, so I would have rather we made a stance from the outset and didn’t bother entering the competition.

More importantly, the FA knew there was a winter break and we’re probably aware of the letter the PL had sent, so why have they not done anything about it. It shouldn’t be on clubs, it should be on the tournament organisers. But they all love their little fiefdoms. Oxford Utd drew with Newcastle at the weekend and even their manager and Chairman think there shouldn’t be replays. That exposes the myth of it being for the little clubs. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Remember Klopp's words after the 5-4 against Arsenal: ‘I can’t remember the last time I had so much fun in a football game!’

Those words mean f** all if Jurgen's not on the sidelines for the replay.

He had a smile on his face for much of that whole game. I really don't think he gave a flying shite if we won, drew or lost, hence the comment.

24 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Remember Klopp's words after the 5-4 against Arsenal: ‘I can’t remember the last time I had so much fun in a football game!’

Those words mean f** all if Jurgen's not on the sidelines for the replay.

I'll give you a piece of info you might not want to hear; Klopp didn't really care if he won that Arsenal game or not. He cares even less if we beat Shrewsbury. Or rather, he would care if the game wasn't in the middle of the break that he's been campaigning for in England for the last few years.