You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kobe Bryant

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Mo Salah has just tweeted about it. Didn't mention the alleged rape that he was never charged for. 

Not saying he didn't do it like. 

He definitely did mate. Easily googleable

people are free to eulogise him without mentioning the fact that he violently raped a 19 year old girl, but don’t get angry because some lady brings up an uncomfortable truth. Rich, powerful, successful, talented people have been given a free pass for their crimes for far too long. 

Kobe Bryant, beloved husband and father, basketball superstar, rapist. 

I read through this (link below). Doesn't paint him in a good light about it. I just think tweeting saying you feel for the families yet grabbing the chance hours after his death to also call him a rapist is out of order. On him? Maybe not but his family. Its just a shitty thing to do. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong I don't know. 

https://deadspin.com/why-the-fuck-isnt-kobe-bryant-a-pariah-yet-1829494689

Completely agree that it’s horrible for his family to hear given that their daughter was also involved in the accident and it’s so raw. I really feel for the family.

However, imagine it was your daughter, sister, partner that he raped and then try and tell me it’s not appropriate to draw attention to that when talking about the man’s life 

2 minutes ago, moof said:

Completely agree that it’s horrible for his family to hear given that their daughter was also involved in the accident and it’s so raw. I really feel for the family.

However, imagine it was your daughter, sister, partner that he raped and then try and tell me it’s not appropriate to draw attention to that when talking about the man’s life 

Im not getting into it. I don't know. 

Anyway the BBC continuing to be on-point

29 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Im not getting into it. I don't know. 

Anyway the BBC continuing to be on-point

Got to assume the script must have mentioned the points record, but they took it out of the VO but not the video? Surely...

Legend, was gutted when I heard.

39 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I read through this (link below). Doesn't paint him in a good light about it. I just think tweeting saying you feel for the families yet grabbing the chance hours after his death to also call him a rapist is out of order. On him? Maybe not but his family. Its just a shitty thing to do. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong I don't know. 

https://deadspin.com/why-the-fuck-isnt-kobe-bryant-a-pariah-yet-1829494689

Deadspin was a great website.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

As a basketball player, he's the most captivating ever, in my opinion . A true you either love him or hate him guy. A Jordan clone with less talent who almost got to 23's level through sheer force of will and work ethic.

I always thought he was very "human". Imperfect, really petty, could make it really hard for himself because of his arrogance and stubbornness.

Sometimes was way too much of a gunner. Could go 7 for 25 in a big game and make awful decisions but if you were a Lakers fan you could never dislike him because he wanted to win more than anyone else.   

From what I know of this rape accusation, a girl said he did it and then refused to testify in court. It was then settled out of court in a civil case. He was never convicted of rape, so calling a man a rapist shortly after his death and claiming it as the truth is anything but. 

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

From what I know of this rape accusation, a girl said he did it and then refused to testify in court. It was then settled out of court in a civil case. He was never convicted of rape, so calling a man a rapist shortly after his death and claiming it as the truth is anything but. 

You might want to try educating yourself further before commenting in future. 

6 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-bryants-disturbing-rape-case-the-dna-evidence-the-accusers-story-and-the-half-confession

19 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

An interesting read, certainly his statement seems to suggest something untoward went down. The key words in my post though were 'calling a man shortly after his death and claiming it as the truth is anything but' and in this article I keep seeing words like 'may' and 'accuser'. His statement suggests something happened but doesn't confirm or deny specifics.

The fact is there are only two people who know exactly what happened that night - also known as 'the truth'. Or should I say, there were only two. Now there is only one. Therefore only she knows 'the truth' - nobody else truly knows what happened, it can only be assumed.

If he did it, that's an awful thing to subject a person to and the person involved has every right to condemn him forever. But for someone to tweet that it's the truth just after he has passed?

12 hours ago, moof said:

Agreed and if the journalistic pieces were along the line of obituaries post death detailing the positives and negatives in their lives it would be scandalous not to mention unsavoury/criminal incidents. However to report on a fatality and append the story when it is pretty much a live ongoing event does not sit right with me. 

A lot of the detail has been available for a substantial amount of time.