Strange appointment. Howe isn't really a great judge of players given his transfers at Bournemouth, especially the players we sold him! And his Bournemouth team were terrible defensively, especially in their last season in the Premiership. Not convinced he'll be able to keep Newcastle up unless they have an insane transfer window in January - which is a distinct possibility.

50 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If they hadn't been bought out by the richest owners in football it would be a decent appointment for them. 

I think it would have been at the start of a season. But having started so badly he'll have to get his style of play going pretty quickly because presumably it'll be quite different to how Bruce had them playing.

I reckon he'll be sacked by Monday.

• Upvote 3

I think the awkward thing is it is quite clearly a two stage job and no top class manager worth his salt will touch it until they see where they are next season.

I always rated Howe and getting Bournemouth up all three divisions and keeping them in the top flight for the only 5 years in their history was a massive achievement. I can't see any obviously better options at this moment.

Probably the best available choice for them. Not forgetting he seems a nice guy which is pretty important when you're trying to put make up on the public face of a pig. 

• Upvote 1

Apart from the financial rewards its an absolute poisoned chalice for a younger manager. 

Needs someone like Kinnear back in there. 

You read these stories in the media about newcastle interested in this or that player, the latest being Ter Stengen.

They havent got a manager or a sporting director yet but someone in the 'ownership' is clearly leaking all this info. Howe's probably thinking the same person will be picking the team, not him and his job will just be getting the abuse from the 'long suffering' fans!

57 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Get Big Sam on the phone…

"Hello? The Crown Prince you say? We'll talk about it over a pint of wine."

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

You read these stories in the media about newcastle interested in this or that player, the latest being Ter Stengen.

They havent got a manager or a sporting director yet but someone in the 'ownership' is clearly leaking all this info. Howe's probably thinking the same person will be picking the team, not him and his job will just be getting the abuse from the 'long suffering' fans!

I know Barca aren’t any great shakes at the moment but Ter Stengen would have to have some sort of serious mental illness to move to Newcastle. 

I see Tarkowski is out of contract in June. 

Whether he’d take the serious risk of being relegated is another question.

13 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I see Tarkowski is out of contract in June. 

Whether he’d take the serious risk of being relegated is another question.

100 grand a week, a stotie and pease pudding will see him walking over red hot coals to sign for them, I reckon.

On 06/11/2021 at 14:47, Bjornebye said:

Apart from the financial rewards its an absolute poisoned chalice for a younger manager. 

Needs someone like Kinnear back in there. 

Colin Wanker was sacked at the weekend.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Howe in. Allegedly a year longer than the Emery offer without the relegation clause.

Now what?

They get relegated? One can hope I suppose.