You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

35 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Their useful idiot fanbase will pass that off no problem when really they should be fuming.

It’s already started; apparently it’s nothing since they’ve had green on away kits in the past. 

I remember the endless wailing when Ashley sponsored the stadium.

19 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

It’s already started; apparently it’s nothing since they’ve had green on away kits in the past. 

I remember the endless wailing when Ashley sponsored the stadium.

To be honest, the Saudi's could replace the seahorses (whatever the fuck they are) on the crest with the crossed swords of Saudi and there'd be a large portion of that clown fanbase defending it.

So desperate to be relevant that they'd agree to anything.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Regardless of anything else, I think it's quite a smart shirt. I've always liked that Fatimid Caliphate green.

They will probably need a lower neckline if they want sales in Saudi, but they don’t want to cut off their hand to spite their face.

56 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

To be honest, the Saudi's could replace the seahorses (whatever the fuck they are) on the crest with the crossed swords of Saudi and there'd be a large portion of that clown fanbase defending it.

So desperate to be relevant that they'd agree to anything.

Can’t wait for the first of the dozen or so league titles they’ll win over the next 30 years, accompanied as it will be by hagiography falling out of every other journalist’s arsehole, chronicling their hard-earned, homespun struggle to the top.

Their fans used to display a banner saying "We don't ask for a team that wins, we ask for a club that tries." That will get jibbed off pretty sharpish when, as expected, the club starts to flex its ill-gotten financial muscle.

There's nothing wrong with the colours or design of that away kit, it's just the obvious connotations with the Saudi colours, the Saudi regime and their penchant for quelling opposition and their hardline stance towards people who are "different".

• 1 month later...

You have to laugh, dont you, except it isnt funny, it's just inevitable now. It's a question of 'when' not 'if' this lot will be top 4 and title challengers.

They are talking about splashing in excess of £40m for Leverkusen winger Moussa Diaby. That's after they spent £37m on Botman. £11m for Pope and Targett. Oh and they wont pay a 'Newcastle' tax for Diaby so are also considering diver Dan Gordon at the shite and Hudson Odoi.

I guess within the next 2 years, we'll see the geordies signing mega sponsorship deals outside their usual financial sphere?

But they're being cautious with their wealth. So that's ok then.

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

You have to laugh, dont you, except it isnt funny, it's just inevitable now. It's a question of 'when' not 'if' this lot will be top 4 and title challengers.

They are talking about splashing in excess of £40m for Leverkusen winger Moussa Diaby. That's after they spent £37m on Botman. £11m for Pope and Targett. Oh and they wont pay a 'Newcastle' tax for Diaby so are also considering diver Dan Gordon at the shite and Hudson Odoi.

I guess within the next 2 years, we'll see the geordies signing mega sponsorship deals outside their usual financial sphere?

But they're being cautious with their wealth. So that's ok then.

Money Laundering or sports washing - it needs time so my guess is same as yours, 2 to 3 years from now is when they will most likely be "finding" amazing sponsorship deals. 

I think Howe is a decent coach tbf. He did brilliantly at Bournemouth (for the most part) and completely turned it around last season at Newcastle. All this clamouring for Pochettino is a bit baffling too. Hasn't set the world alight really.

Newcastle fans will be even more obnoxious than City fans.

Met a few Geordies recently. Within two minutes had told me their banner is the biggest in the league and the Kop isn't as impressive and that until the 40s or something, they had won more leagues than anyone else, so they have pedigree bla bla bla. Best supporters and most knowledgeable in the land bla bla bla.

If they just said, we are a big enough club with good fans and we are prepared to have murderous bastards running our club because we want to win trophies, I would have been like fair enough lads. I mean I think I'd rather go back to 2010 than have Saudis here, but each to their own.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Newcastle fans will be even more obnoxious than City fans.

Met a few Geordies recently. Within two minutes had told me their banner is the biggest in the league and the Kop isn't as impressive and that until the 40s or something, they had won more leagues than anyone else, so they have pedigree bla bla bla. Best supporters and most knowledgeable in the land bla bla bla.

If they just said, we are a big enough club with good fans and we are prepared to have murderous bastards running our club because we want to win trophies, I would have been like fair enough lads. I mean I think I'd rather go back to 2010 than have Saudis here, but each to their own.

My issue with the entire thing is the playing field is so skewed towards clubs who oligarch owners who can just pump good money after bad. We sit here sharing the TV rights out fairly, but really the way United and Liverpool can fight this is to sell their own. It's no wonder they wanted a super league. They need to fuck the entire system off and get everything squared away. All top leagues need to come together an stop this shit, along with the governments and governing bodies. Murders in charge of teams, washing their money. Fucking GROSS. 

Hope we get bought by one though. 

10 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

My issue with the entire thing is the playing field is so skewed towards clubs who oligarch owners who can just pump good money after bad. We sit here sharing the TV rights out fairly, but really the way United and Liverpool can fight this is to sell their own. It's no wonder they wanted a super league. They need to fuck the entire system off and get everything squared away. All top leagues need to come together an stop this shit, along with the governments and governing bodies. Murders in charge of teams, washing their money. Fucking GROSS. 

Hope we get bought by one though. 

Hated the idea of a European Super League but it did at least offer elements of a level playing field. At least the historic clubs remained relevant. Would rather change things from within than rip it all up though. Come back to me in ten years, when Newcastle play City for the third consecutive year in the Champions League final, while Ac Milan take on Atletico Madrid in the Conference League final.

I actually think Jurgen being here has meant that less people are asking the questions that need to be not just asked but solved. We won a league and were within an arses roar of two more. Two title races that captured the attention of the public, be it wanting us to win or stop the Scousers. Every year he is here, we have a huge chance of winning the league, or at least making it a show for the watching public. Without him, it's more boring than Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga. This year with the world cup, it could make it more open to a third team but that will be a rarity. In fairness, United have spent a lot, as have Chelsea. Newcastle will be up there in a few years, so I guess you could argue some of it is down to other clubs being badly run.

The government are right in with the Saudis so no shock that they would be happy for them to own a premier league club.