You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

44 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

They’ll be wanting to make a statement signing as soon as they can to show they mean business and to help attract others. 

It could well be that transfers the usual suspects have been working on could be about to be blown out of the water. 

I doubt they’re yet in a position (not for financial reasons obviously) to snare the absolute cream of the crop yet, but they might be in for the next level down, or the best of the young players available. This could well have a knock on effect on the transfer plans in place at our club. 

They won't be shopping as far down the basement bin as we will. 

21 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Our fans were all in for DIC. I know they're not quite the same, but they're the same ball park. 

20 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there would be PLENTY of Liverpool fans who would be very happy to see us bought by a sportswashing dictatorship.

Just search up the FSGOUT hashtag on twitter. We have plenty of fans whose morality is as thin as a sheet of paper who are more interested in big-money transfers than wins.

You both could be right, but certainly among the lads I know, none would support a takeover like that. 

Having said that, I do think Jurgen and his brilliant team have kept the wolves at bay. For all my own criticism of FSG, I can see they have done more good than bad. They are actually perfect owners for a fair system, but thanks to the Premier League, Uefa and Fifa that will never happen. They are hard nosed business people who will probably sell us if they get a sense that it isn't tenable for their investment. Make no mistake, unless the Premier League end up getting a 5th or 6th spot Cl spot, it looks like it will be tense to get Champions League every year. Newcastle will be a huge presence in the coming years competiting for titles and Arsenal will eventually get their shit together. I don't really see FSG here if that's the case. I don't like them at all, but their style of business savvy should be the model that all clubs have to follow.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

You both could be right, but certainly among the lads I know, none would support a takeover like that. 

Having said that, I do think Jurgen and his brilliant team have kept the wolves at bay. For all my own criticism of FSG, I can see they have done more good than bad. They are actually perfect owners for a fair system, but thanks to the Premier League, Uefa and Fifa that will never happen. They are hard nosed business people who will probably sell us if they get a sense that it isn't tenable for their investment. Make no mistake, unless the Premier League end up getting a 5th or 6th spot Cl spot, it looks like it will be tense to get Champions League every year. Newcastle will be a huge presence in the coming years competiting for titles and Arsenal will eventually get their shit together. I don't really see FSG here if that's the case. I don't like them at all, but their style of business savvy should be the model that all clubs have to follow.

As we must have a decent coefficient, I would imagine the new admission rules from 2024 will help us. It might even prompt us to try and win the FA cup. And you can bet anything you like they will find ways to expand that down the line. 

Slots three and four: Awarded to the two clubs with the highest club coefficients that have not qualified automatically for the Champions League’s league stage, but have qualified either for the Champions League qualification phase or the Europa League/the Europa Conference League (due to start in the 2021/22 season).

as for DIC, we had people begging them during the h&g time. The biggest opposition voiced in my memory was because DIC had put together a 7 year exit plan to their 1st bid. 

Screenshot_20211010-135414.jpg

As I remember it, DIC were the only show in town to buy the club from moores. They had been in negotiations with him via Staverley for some time. But Moores usual dithering over whether to actually sell or not enabled first the one cowboy, Gillet to come to the table. He couldnt better DIC's offer so brought the second cowboy, Hicks to the table.

Together they trumped DIC's bid at the last minute which prompted Moores to ditch the dithering as he saw an extra £8m going to his pocket.

DIC were furious at being gazumped. Im not clear why if they had shitloads of money to burn as everyone thinks why they didnt stick another £5m-£10m on the table. Not sure I get on board with their honourable intentions of the 'agreed' deal with Moores not to do that.

The Twatteratti FSG out mongs in the main do seem to think there's another Dubai, Qatari or Saudi regime out there that's just itching to buy Liverpool and spend untold amounts of money on the club.

At the end of the day, when in England at least, you have 2 nation owned teams who are worth in excess of £32bn and £300bn, arguing whether FSG should spend £50m on each player is pretty immaterial when those two clubs could and probably will spend £100m+ on individual players.

The football landscape has changed and changes with Newcastle's take over. In a few years, most will probably be happy to win the FA Cup even though every club in the English pyramid see it as a second team competition. The FA Cup will even more so resemble a bone thrown to a faithful old dog who can no longer scrap for the best bits of meat.

All in my opinion.

34 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

As we must have a decent coefficient, I would imagine the new admission rules from 2024 will help us. It might even prompt us to try and win the FA cup. And you can bet anything you like they will find ways to expand that down the line. 

Slots three and four: Awarded to the two clubs with the highest club coefficients that have not qualified automatically for the Champions League’s league stage, but have qualified either for the Champions League qualification phase or the Europa League/the Europa Conference League (due to start in the 2021/22 season).

as for DIC, we had people begging them during the h&g time. The biggest opposition voiced in my memory was because DIC had put together a 7 year exit plan to their 1st bid. 

Screenshot_20211010-135414.jpg

The last I read ( a few months ago) was that UEFA was being pressured following the ESL fiasco to think again about offering slots 3 and 4 to non-qualifying high coefficient teams. 

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

As I remember it, DIC were the only show in town to buy the club from moores. They had been in negotiations with him via Staverley for some time. But Moores usual dithering over whether to actually sell or not enabled first the one cowboy, Gillet to come to the table. He couldnt better DIC's offer so brought the second cowboy, Hicks to the table.

Together they trumped DIC's bid at the last minute which prompted Moores to ditch the dithering as he saw an extra £8m going to his pocket.

DIC were furious at being gazumped. Im not clear why if they had shitloads of money to burn as everyone thinks why they didnt stick another £5m-£10m on the table. Not sure I get on board with their honourable intentions of the 'agreed' deal with Moores not to do that.

The Twatteratti FSG out mongs in the main do seem to think there's another Dubai, Qatari or Saudi regime out there that's just itching to buy Liverpool and spend untold amounts of money on the club.

At the end of the day, when in England at least, you have 2 nation owned teams who are worth in excess of £32bn and £300bn, arguing whether FSG should spend £50m on each player is pretty immaterial when those two clubs could and probably will spend £100m+ on individual players.

The football landscape has changed and changes with Newcastle's take over. In a few years, most will probably be happy to win the FA Cup even though every club in the English pyramid see it as a second team competition. The FA Cup will even more so resemble a bone thrown to a faithful old dog who can no longer scrap for the best bits of meat.

All in my opinion.

Youve got that wrong, which is not unusual. DIC went into a period of exclusivity with LFC and failed to complete the deal before that period ended. They were not the only show in town, before that bid, gillett had been told his bid had been good but he didn't illustrate he had enough wealth. When the period of exclusivity finished and weeks passed without an offer, Moores started to twitch, aided and abetted by a new offer from Gillett with Hicks supporting an increased bid and ITV & Steve Morgan who were major shareholders reminding Moores of his fiduciary duties to act in the interests of all shareholders and not just himself. As soon as LFC engaged with H&G, DIC threw their toys out of the pram as they thought a handshake should be enough. Seasoned businessmen, yet they think a handshake on a deal is enough. 

A couple of years later DIC were back with Stavely with large parts of our fan base begging for them. Iirc they bid in the region of £450m at a time when Hicks thought he could refinance the debt him and his mate had leveraged the club with. 

The bottom line here is our fans would have broadly welcomed DIC. As they did H&G. As they still do with FSG. All 3 are cunts of various variety. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

It kind of depends on how smart they are about it.

If they're smart, they'll get in a good DOF straight away and then build for a future 3-4 years from now when they're in the CL. Buy up all the 20-23 year olds, rather than going for the big names.

But if Tarkowski and Coutinho are anything to go by, it might take them a while, maybe even 5 years. I suppose there's an argument to be made for getting them to mid-table first, but I'd be doing that by buying the Jarrod Bowens of the world rather than the Coutinhos. Tammy Abraham, for example, would be a much better way to spend their money than Harry Kane, whose ankles will be falling off by the time they get really good and need to compete at the top end of the table.

It pains me to say it, but City did it in a sensible way. You need a core of British players and then a handful of excellent foreigners. They had three summer windows where they brought in Milner, Barry, Yaya Toure, Aguero, Silva and Tevez. Even their so-called flops in those transfer windows went on to have illustrious careers: Dzeko, Boateng, Savic.

Jarrod Bowen is one of those players that might be decent for a year or two and then fall away - an Adam Lallana type. They'd be better buying Declan Rice. He's more in fitting with the mould of Jordan Henderson. Someone that'll be a good addition for a decade.

7 minutes ago, Boss said:

It pains me to say it, but City did it in a sensible way. You need a core of British players and then a handful of excellent foreigners. They had three summer windows where they brought in Milner, Barry, Yaya Toure, Aguero, Silva and Tevez. Even their so-called flops in those transfer windows went on to have illustrious careers: Dzeko, Boateng, Savic.

Jarrod Bowen is one of those players that might be decent for a year or two and then fall away - an Adam Lallana type. They'd be better buying Declan Rice. He's more in fitting with the mould of Jordan Henderson. Someone that'll be a good addition for a decade.

City also bought total duds like Roque Santa Cruz, Jo, Jovetic, Negredo, Bony....for a lot of money.

5 minutes ago, Boss said:

Not in those three transfer windows though.

Maybe not - but then i suppose it does not reallt matrre anyway...get it wrong and just buy someone else!

They certainly got plenty spot on though - Kompany for example for about 7m was an earlyish one for them.

10 minutes ago, an tha said:

Maybe not - but then i suppose it does not reallt matrre anyway...get it wrong and just buy someone else!

They certainly got plenty spot on though - Kompany for example for about 7m was an earlyish one for them.

Absolutely, when you've got that kind of money you can just absorb the losses of terrible transfer windows. We don't have that luxury. 

1 minute ago, Boss said:

Absolutely, when you've got that kind of money you can just absorb the losses of terrible transfer windows. We don't have that luxury. 

We don't - we have got better at not spunking our money on useless shite and have better recruitment policy in place, but arguably at same time have become a touch too conservative.

11 minutes ago, an tha said:

Kompany was signed in 2007 when they were owned by the Thai fella and had Sven in charge. City went to make a statement by signing Robinho and going for Berbatov (the story is that they got gazumped on the latter, and the former initially thought it was United that were signing him).

City's initial splurge in 2009 was Tevez plus a bunch of British and Irish players familiar with the PL. Milner, Lescot, Barry, Bellamy etc.

Everyone is taking it as written that the Saudi involvement will mean that Newcastle blow everyone else out of the water, but there's something about this deal that makes me think it will be closer to Anzhi or Monaco circa-2013. Both came into big money and lavished fortunes on players, but it wan't sustained because ultimately nobody outside of these clubs' immediate catchment gave a shit.

6 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Kompany was signed in 2007 when they were owned by the Thai fella and had Sven in charge. City went to make a statement by signing Robinho and going for Berbatov (the story is that they got gazumped on the latter, and the former initially thought it was United that were signing him).

City's initial splurge in 2009 was Tevez plus a bunch of British and Irish players familiar with the PL. Milner, Lescot, Barry, Bellamy etc.

Everyone is taking it as written that the Saudi involvement will mean that Newcastle blow everyone else out of the water, but there's something about this deal that makes me think it will be closer to Anzhi or Monaco circa-2013. Both came into big money and lavished fortunes on players, but it wan't sustained because ultimately nobody outside of these clubs' immediate catchment gave a shit.

The guy spent $450m on a fake Da Vinci, he's good for a few overpriced left backs.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Kompany was signed in the summer of 08 - same window as Robinho.

22nd August.

As for Newcastle i don't think it will be easy at all for them as i said a few posts above 

They'll need to see out/buy out existing sponsorship deals and improve the infrastructure to allow them to spend unlimited amounts of money. As Everton have shown, it's easy to blow a few hundred million and hamstring yourself for the next three or four years.

34 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

They'll need to see out/buy out existing sponsorship deals and improve the infrastructure to allow them to spend unlimited amounts of money. As Everton have shown, it's easy to blow a few hundred million and hamstring yourself for the next three or four years.

How can you do this when money is no object?

They’ll use the oil cheat manual when it comes to sponsorship deals jumping up that Deloitte league table in the process.

I can’t wait to beat them in December fucking upstarts.