You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

The Geordies are deluded if they think they are signing him.

But then again, Geordies are deluded. 

Be too soon to get him I'd have thought but just like City it took them a couple of years of overpaying and signing players they finally got to a stage they can compete and get anybody in world football. same will happen with Newcastle unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Nothing wrong with rainbow laces - this is exactly the kind of time they're intended for. 

Yeah. One look at those laces and they'll be renouncing their death penalty as quick as you can say Sheik Yerbouti. 

In fact I think we should have more clubs owned by these repellent despots. And let's have more competitions held in their countries. 

9 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Yeah. One look at those laces and they'll be renouncing their death penalty as quick as you can say Sheik Yerbouti. 

In fact I think we should have more clubs owned by these repellent despots. And let's have more competitions held in their countries. 

The laces are a visible symbol of inclusion, that will be broadcast even in nations that are systemically homophobic. It's a small positive step.

I don't get the leap from your first paragraph to your second.

48 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Be too soon to get him I'd have thought but just like City it took them a couple of years of overpaying and signing players they finally got to a stage they can compete and get anybody in world football. same will happen with Newcastle unfortunately.

At least there is one club who’ll be able to afford Salah if we can’t agree an extension by the summer..

1 hour ago, Code said:

How many wars have the Saudis started the last 40 years?

We have American owners and we are an English club. 

Im not sure we should start to compare deaths caused by our governments.

Yeah, to be fair I don't think the massacres in Yemen really count as a war...

24 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The laces are a visible symbol of inclusion, that will be broadcast even in nations that are systemically homophobic. It's a small positive step.

I don't get the leap from your first paragraph to your second.

I really really don't think they are. I think a single statement from the Premier League saying something along the lines of: "We wholly condemn the decision to hold the World Cup in a country that outlaws homosexuality and can issue the death penalty to gay people." might be a small positive step. Rolling out the red carpet to yet another wholly anti-gay country whilst wearing rainbow laces really doesn't cut it for me.

It's like getting players to wear "support vegans" socks whilst being sponsored by McDonalds.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, rb14 said:

I really really don't think they are. I think a single statement from the Premier League saying something along the lines of: "We wholly condemn the decision to hold the World Cup in a country that outlaws homosexuality and can issue the death penalty to gay people." might be a small positive step. Rolling out the red carpet to yet another wholly anti-gay country whilst wearing rainbow laces really doesn't cut it for me.

It's like getting players to wear "support vegans" socks whilst being sponsored by McDonalds.

I agree, they're completely incompatible. As a solitary idea though, the laces are a small step in the right direction.

38 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I can see a lot of players refusing to go there because of the Saudi regime and also the state of the Kebabs in that one on Pilgrim st in the city centre. 

Shit aren’t they in fairness you can tell before you go in.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I can see a lot of players refusing to go there because of the Saudi regime and also the state of the Kebabs in that one on Pilgrim st in the city centre. 

Should have gone to Bimby's under the now demolished cinema. About the only place in Newcastle who did a decent fish and chips (unless you travelled out to Gossie). Mind you, they werent open at night.

• Upvote 1