You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Location has to be considered for top players. There's not a lot up there if you're in your 20s and a millionaire in comparison to Manchester, London and even Birmingham. So unless everyone Michael Owen's their way to training every day I don't think they'll get the top echelon of players.

I think 400 grand plus a week plus benefits would soften the blow for 5 years of your life.

53 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Have to admit I have a soft spot for Newcastle so I am made up for them as fans. While posters are quite rightly pointing out about human rights abuses or violations please remember the massive defence contracts our government has completed and continues to solicit for orders from the Saudi regime  itself.  They were going to take over someone. Morally no example has  been set by our governments that should justify Newcastle fans feeling concerned or outraged  about this. Let them enjoy their time in the limelight. 

I've always had a soft spot for them but seeing that news footage of hundreds of them outside the stadium celebrating like they'd just won the league made me pity them. 

9 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Quite remarkable how the Arabic world have essentially taken over professional football (domestic / international via Qatari WC) in the space of just over a decade.

They realized that what works for tainted oligarchs should work fine for Middle East despots. 

Given the general consensus that FSG are shit, (judging by recent trophies Id be curious to see how other fans view that) looking around the Premier League, is it fair to say that of the owners in the Top 8, Leicester take the moral High Ground?  Maybe Tottenham?  

44 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Location has to be considered for top players. There's not a lot up there if you're in your 20s and a millionaire in comparison to Manchester, London and even Birmingham. So unless everyone Michael Owen's their way to training every day I don't think they'll get the top echelon of players.

Kind of agree but it’s beautiful up here and Newcastle is a great night out. Only 3 hours from London on a train. Double your wages you’d go anywhere.

12 minutes ago, Code said:

How many wars have the Saudis started the last 40 years?

We have American owners and we are an English club. 

Im not sure we should start to compare deaths caused by our governments.

Bring British or American doesn’t make you responsible for the historic or current acts of tye British or American governments or monarchy. Not does being Saudi make you responsible for their human rights abuses.

you know that.

being the Saudi state does, as would being the US or British state. But only one of those three just bought a football club. 

• Upvote 16

47 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

All footballers are greedy cunts who will go anywhere for more dosh, China, UAE they'd go to Pyongyang if the money was right. Suppose we'll see over the coming seasons.

Of course they will.  How many jumped to Russia when Anzhi got some dosh ( Roberto Carlos ) 

I remember Ravanelli saying that he had never heard of Middlesborough, but wanted to listen t what they had to say. He then saw the cheque 

30 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Given the general consensus that FSG are shit, (judging by recent trophies Id be curious to see how other fans view that) looking around the Premier League, is it fair to say that of the owners in the Top 8, Leicester take the moral High Ground?  Maybe Tottenham?  

Leicester are a less risk averse Leeds. They keep re-upping a loan against future earnings with a dodgy Australian bank (not the only club to be fair).

24 minutes ago, Code said:

How many wars have the Saudis started the last 40 years?

We have American owners and we are an English club. 

Im not sure we should start to compare deaths caused by our governments.

They're bombing the shit out of Yemen right now.

The U.S and U.K governments don't own football clubs.

Apart from that, great post.

• Upvote 1