You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Alex_K

Quite remarkable how the Arabic world have essentially taken over professional football (domestic / international via Qatari WC) in the space of just over a decade.

Think that's jumping the gun a bit.

Remember when Dubai bought City and they were all excited for signings, only for the first few big-money signings to be the 2nd/3rd-tier players they could convince to come for the money (Jo, Robinho, etc).

It'll take 5 years, minimum, before Newcastle are in for players like Mbappe with any real chance. Probably 10, realistically.

Obviously nothing in the rules to stop this takeover. That is what the Premier league need to look at and sort out. But the cat is out the bag now and things can't go back now. You'll see the Chinese involved soon enough amongst others. What do the established clubs such as Liverpool, United, arsenal, spurs etc think about this. I guess we know given the super league debacle. It seems to me that the PL don't give a dn about the clubs such as us that have actually made their brand the biggest in the world. Yet there are no protections for us and others. That isn't right, surely. I also hear the comments about not being arsed after this. Does anyone think, fuck em and feel as a supporter of liverpool that we want to take on another state sponsored team like we have under Jurgen with city? Defiant in a way. Anyway, fuck em. 

34 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

We can moan all we want, but if the shoe was on the other foot, and the Saudis bought us, we'd probably have a little moan, then laugh our bollox off when we signed Haaland, and that's a fact. 

No, I'd just fuck it off. Call it virtue signalling or whatever but it's one thing being owned by hedged fund managers and another by an extremist state that dismembers dissenters.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Em City said:

No, I'd just fuck it off. Call it virtue signalling or whatever but it's one thing being owned by hedged fund managers and another by an extremist state that dismembers dissenters.

Yep. Encouraged and slobbered on by the legions of media whores.

Cack-handed as the execution was, I felt that a Super League was going to be necessary for the game to survive as a sport in some form and now it seems more urgent than ever, albeit perhaps as a replacement for domestic football rather than merely the Champions League.

• Upvote 1

I'm reading articles referring to the regeneration of the area, donations to the local hospital. The journalists writing these are already in the pockets of them. Barnay in the Guardian was describing them as the bone sawers, that is what everyone who has had a colleague dismembered and bagged up should call them because they could be next. 

58 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

We can moan all we want, but if the shoe was on the other foot, and the Saudis bought us, we'd probably have a little moan, then laugh our bollox off when we signed Haaland, and that's a fact. 

No. It's not a fact.  I have no doubt we'd have plenty of fans doing exactly what City fans have done for years, and Newcastle fans are doing now.  But I also think we'd have plenty who actively went against it.  I know that I'd be done with LFC (and that is a fact) and I think many others would step away too.  Yes, I'd still read the score on a Saturday evening, but any success would be extremely tainted and I wouldn't care about.

Even just look what happened when the club were finalising the signing of Lee Bowyer and the fans rallied to get it stopped.  That wasn't because we didn't deem him good enough, it was because he was a racist scumbag.

I think it's important we are not all lobbed in with the same cretins.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 17

Have to admit I have a soft spot for Newcastle so I am made up for them as fans. While posters are quite rightly pointing out about human rights abuses or violations please remember the massive defence contracts our government has completed and continues to solicit for orders from the Saudi regime  itself.  They were going to take over someone. Morally no example has  been set by our governments that should justify Newcastle fans feeling concerned or outraged  about this. Let them enjoy their time in the limelight. 

8 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Have to admit I have a soft spot for Newcastle so I am made up for them as fans. While posters are quite rightly pointing out about human rights abuses or violations please remember the massive defence contracts our government has completed and continues to solicit for orders from the Saudi regime  itself.  They were going to take over someone. Morally no example has  been set by our governments that should justify Newcastle fans feeling concerned or outraged  about this. Let them enjoy their time in the limelight. 

Why are footballs supposed to set their moral compass by the British Government?

Location has to be considered for top players. There's not a lot up there if you're in your 20s and a millionaire in comparison to Manchester, London and even Birmingham. So unless everyone Michael Owen's their way to training every day I don't think they'll get the top echelon of players.

10 hours ago, George Costanza said:

Another nail in the coffin of the game.

The state ownership sports washing should have been abolished not another member joining the ranks of Abu Dhabi & Qatar.

It seems murder isn't on the PL test for fit & proper ownership either. Nor is human rights violations.  PL is all about money & greed.  

Oh come on. Absolutely nothing wrong with football. We've a lovely world Cup to look forward to in Qatar, and Man City were vindicated in the disgraceful FFP hearings. And don't forget... 

Large-1.jpg