You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm not too concerned about this purely because it's Newcastle, it'll go tits up and it'll be hilarious. I can't see it going much better than it has for Everton. If it was West Ham, Arsenal or Villa, say, I'd be much more concerned because those can be relatively attractive destinations for top, top players. Not that shithole.

EDIT: That's not to say this isn't yet another dark day for footy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I bet Bruce is rubbing his chubby little trotters at the prospect of being able to sign Alex Bruce on a bumper contract.

The Big Market is being renamed il souk kabeer in preparation for the murdering despots arrival.

Bruce will be out on his ear within a couple of weeks if he lasts that long 

• Upvote 1

Mike Ashley has done well out of Newcastle. Invested fuck all into them and walks away with £300m. 

You can see why a club like them would be attractive. Relatively low price, large local fanbase with being a one club town. Large fairly modern stadium that doesn't need any vast improvements.

Be interesting to see how they approach it, hopefully they don't go for a load of aging 'big names in the early days and spend a load of money that is ultimately wasted.

They should be looking at the likes of Leipzig and Dortmund as a model knowing they have the resources to then keep those players not follow PSG and Man City (early on).

• Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Be interesting to see how they approach it, hopefully they don't go for a load of aging 'big names in the early days and spend a load of money that is ultimately wasted.

They should be looking at the likes of Leipzig and Dortmund as a model knowing they have the resources to then keep those players not follow PSG and Man City (early on).

They can waste what they want in my opinion. Fuck them!

• Upvote 1

12 thousand civilians deliberately killed in Yemen, journalist chopped up mafia style, migrant workers used as slaves, critics of the regime imprisoned raped and tortured, human rights advocates disappear overnight, women and gay people oppressed, and yet none of this matters to the Premier Leagues fit and proper ownership test the organisation that uses the word respect constantly. Saudi Arabia and the UAE are two of the worst regimes on the planet worse than North Korea yet both are now in the Premier League. It seems the fit and proper ownership test means have enough money and we'll look the other way.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I'm not too concerned about this purely because it's Newcastle, it'll go tits up and it'll be hilarious. I can't see it going much better than it has for Everton. If it was West Ham, Arsenal or Villa, say, I'd be much more concerned because those can be relatively attractive destinations for top, top players. Not that shithole.

EDIT: That's not to say this isn't yet another dark day for footy.

I'd rather live in Aleppo than Witton. 

30 minutes ago, RedHeadedRed said:

12 thousand civilians deliberately killed in Yemen, journalist chopped up mafia style, migrant workers used as slaves, critics of the regime imprisoned raped and tortured, human rights advocates disappear overnight, women and gay people oppressed, and yet none of this matters to the Premier Leagues fit and proper ownership test the organisation that uses the word respect constantly. Saudi Arabia and the UAE are two of the worst regimes on the planet worse than North Korea yet both are now in the Premier League. It seems the fit and proper ownership test means have enough money and we'll look the other way.

But at least they've sorted out the broadcast piracy issues eh, I mean that's what's important, right. The more I see of man, the more I love my dog.

• Upvote 1

Why are the other clubs allowing this?

What's in it for them--do they get a cut of the purchase price?

For the lower level clubs another minted customer for the players they develop, I suppose.

But mid-table up, why would you want another ownership group with whom you can't compete financially?

10 minutes ago, Chris said:

If you're playing for Villa you could conceivably live in Shropshire and be at training in 45 minutes. God's country! 

Telford's in Shropshire isn't it? Never been there but it's in my top 5 most boring place names in the country. 

2 hours ago, Remmie said:

Will be interesting to read the Everton take on this. FFP is ruining clubs like Everton to keep the big clubs happy, but should be applied to the Geordies. 

They'll be in two minds about what to Mecca this. On the one hand there'll be no further arguing  that Newcastle aren't  bigger than them and there's even less chance of them ever winning anything. On the other hand it might stop us winning things. The other hand will win. 

• Upvote 1