You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jesus, this is like pulling teeth. No, that’s not how it works. She is not being asked to write to the PL to get them to change their mind. She is being asked to write to the PL to ask them to provide clarity on what the delay over the decision was and what they did in the decision making process. 

Let me put it this way - I am your (long suffering) MP.

You pitch up to my constituency office, slouch in front of me, and say “Mr Anubis, the local council have just put a series of speed bumps in my road. They never gave residents any warning. We never got letters consulting us about this. We weren’t invited to any council meetings, and when I asked my local councillor where, when and who had made the decision to put them in the road he wouldn’t tell me. Now those speed bumps are ruining my Skoda’s suspension. I’d like some answers, please.”

I might reply “Mr Dockers, while I personally believe speed bumps in residential areas promote pedestrian safety, as you are my constituents I fully understand how you feel that you and your fellow Acacia Rd residents have been left in the dark over how the council have handled this, and as your (most excellent) MP I will raise your queries with the council and attempt to obtain answers that I hope will satisfy you.”

Because as your MP, it is my job to represent my constituents, even those I disagree with.

Now, if you still don’t get it, all I have left is crayon drawings, but as I’m out of crayons I’ll have to leave it there.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Jesus, this is like pulling teeth. No, that’s not how it works. She is not being asked to write to the PL to get them to change their mind. She is being asked to write to the PL to ask them to provide clarity on what the delay over the decision was and what they did in the decision making process. 

Let me put it this way - I am your (long suffering) MP.

You pitch up to my constituency office, slouch in front of me, and say “Mr Anubis, the local council have just put a series of speed bumps in my road. They never gave residents any warning. We never got letters consulting us about this. We weren’t invited to any council meetings, and when I asked my local councillor where, when and who had made the decision to put them in the road he wouldn’t tell me. Now those speed bumps are ruining my Skoda’s suspension. I’d like some answers, please.”

I might reply “Mr Dockers, while I personally believe speed bumps in residential areas promote pedestrian safety, as you are my constituents I fully understand how you feel that you and your fellow Acacia Rd residents have been left in the dark over how the council have handled this, and as your (most excellent) MP I will raise your queries with the council and attempt to obtain answers that I hope will satisfy you.”

Because as your MP, it is my job to represent my constituents, even those I disagree with.

Now, if you still don’t get it, all I have left is crayon drawings, but as I’m out of crayons I’ll have to leave it there.

I think the giveaway is her condemnation of the Saudi regime in those other articles. As you say,she is not endorsing them but just asking for the exact reasons. Those reasons will be piracy rather than murder of course but hey ho.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think the giveaway is her condemnation of the Saudi regime in those other articles. As you say,she is not endorsing them but just asking for the exact reasons. Those reasons will be piracy rather than murder of course but hey ho.

Surely any decent person would want to force the PL into saying it was for humanitarian reasons (we all know it was the telly rights piracy) and therefore setting a precedent? 

53 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Surely any decent person would want to force the PL into saying it was for humanitarian reasons (we all know it was the telly rights piracy) and therefore setting a precedent? 

Good luck with getting them to say that when they have owners from Abu Dhabi and a Russian money launderer in charge at PL clubs,let alone Mike Ashley.

20 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Good luck with getting them to say that when they have owners from Abu Dhabi and a Russian money launderer in charge at PL clubs,let alone Mike Ashley.

There’s more chance of finding hens teeth I agree, however that doesn’t mean the MP wanted the Saudi take over to go through was my point and she could put pressure on the PL at the same time. 

20 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Damn right, there's now way it's anything to do with chopping people up. 

12 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

But that's not likely to be the PL's reason and perhaps shouldn't be. That's a political decision and one you would hope the government would take the lead on, except of course all they're arsed about is selling more guns to their Saudi school mates. Piracy directly impacted everyone of the clubs in the PL, they shouldn't need to draw any other line. If feel confident if it wasn't for the piracy, Newcastle would have new owners. 

Personally I wish for no state ownership of clubs or ownership through sovereign funds. But it's a can of worms banning people because their state isn't ethical. For fucks sake, the top teams in the league are already owned by other Arab states, russian gangsters or from a country that has Donald trump as a leader. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...