You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How to react to the argument "this the weakest ever Premier League".

WhiskeyJar

How to react to the argument "this the weakest ever Premier League".  

56 members have voted

1. 1. We are the best because:

• We have the mentality of champions
    • We have the best manager in the world
    • We have been building to this season over a number of years
    • All the above
    • Other

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just enjoying every single beautiful moment. I walk into work with a huuuge smile on my face and just a quick glance at the fans of other clubs there and they know exactly what I am thinking and feeling and that I am laughing at them inside. I don't need to say anything. They are your typical haters and I've had to endure their 'banter' for long enough, now it's my turn. It feels brilliant. They are hating the fact that we are just so good in this moment, they don't wanrt to admit it out loud, but deep down they know it and it really hurts them. I love it! They are looking for flimsy excuses, arguments, anything to try and put a dampener on our incredible team and performances for the past 18 months, but there is a quiet resignation that we are the best there is and are reaching levels that could make us the best there has ever been. They keep hoping for some kind of failure but they're not getting it and it just makes them more desperate.

I have the dubious pleasure of working with a couple of Chelsea fans who keep telling me how good their youngsters are. One of them tried the 'other teams are just rolling over for you this season'. I said what like your lot? 'No, not us'. Oh you mean like our bitterest rivals Everton and Utd? 'No not them'. Oh you mean teams like City and Leicester who have been fightijng for the title? 'No not them'. Oh right you mean teams like Wolves and Shefffield Utd who are flying high in the table? 'No not them'. Who then? Arsenal, Spurs? No. I just thought you're making yourself look like an utter idiot. Just acknoweldge our greatness. As I walked away I said 94 points out of 96, that is how good we are. Enjoyed that moment and I thank our mentality monsters for making all of this possible. And I'm going to keep enjoying this as these other fans have absolutely no comeback, it's just an amazing feeling!

36 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

This time last year people were saying that City were the greatest team in history, then they go out and spend another £200m in the summer, but yeh, we've come out this year and absolutely fucking destroyed them so the league must be shit.

Righto.

I wonder if there’s a sort of Stockholm Syndrome at play - it’s only legitimate to win now if a club has spent an absurd amount compiling its squad. Either way, it’s getting up there with people who 'support' Ronaldo or Messi rather than the clubs they play for as a top contender for the Champions League of Shitness of Modern Football.

Objectively, this is by far the strongest the Premier League has ever been. A historically great Man City, 3 other big clubs who, whilst being inconsistent, have all competed in a European final just last year. And then, midtable and lower clubs who have the spending power of top 4 clubs in other leagues. There's absolutely no argument for this being a weak league, it's straw clutching at its finest.

The far better argument if you want to diminish our success this season has been opposition finishing being absolutely terrible. We probably should have conceded 5-6 more goals than we have off the top of my head.

6 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Reading some of the opposition forums, you’d think we were absolutely shit. Hoof ball fc, worse than Wimbledon, etc. Fucking great it is. 

We've incorporated direct attacking play, crossing and long balls to complement our fluid interplay and counter pressing around the opposition's box to become more versatile as an attacking threat. That variation in our attacking play along with being world class at set-pieces is what has led to a lot of our success.

It's hilarious that being a more complete attacking side with numerous ways of hurting the opposition is seen as something to make fun of. Not a very bright criticism. 

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We've incorporated direct attacking play, crossing and long balls to complement our fluid interplay around the opposition's box to become more versatile as an attacking threat. That variation in our attacking play along with being world class at set-pieces is what has led to a lot of our success.

It's hilarious that being a more complete attacking side with numerous ways of hurting the opposition is seen as something to make fun of. Not a very bright criticism. 

‘Third most long balls in the league’. Cool, we must be shit then. Because long passes are the same as ale house hoof balls hoping to get lucky with a big man up front. Oh, and FFS don’t mention that we are also in the top few for short passes. That’s mean rather than being the hoof ball team you think we are we are an intelligent, versatile team who can beat your breaks off in a number of ways. It’s almost like we’ve won 94 out of our last 96 points or something. As you say, not the smartest. 

That said, had we been finishing out chances a bit better, we wouldn’t appear - to the unobservant - as we are struggling our way through games. If we added the same ruthlessness to our versatility, and a couple more attacking options in midfield and up front, we wouldn’t just be steamrollering the league in points, but we’d be winning most games by four or five.