You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wolves 1 Liverpool 2 (Jan 23 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Another step closer and another game that has probably taken a month or two off the end of my life. The stress of these games is draining.

The funny thing is, it should be a time for relaxing and enjoyment. We’re 16 points ahead with a game in hand. The title is done, has been for weeks, yet I’m still watching these games with both arse cheeks tightly clenched. 

Why? It’s not because of the title, it’s because I don’t want us to drop any points. A defeat would feel terrible, even though in the grand scheme of things it means virtually nothing. It’s a peculiar sense of entitlement we’re feeling at the moment. Usually, even the very best teams will lose a few games on their way to the prize but if these lads were to lose a game it would really upset me.

I want us to go unbeaten. I want these boys to break the points record. I want them to win every home game and go 100% at Anfield. I want my cake and I want an extra helping of it, with double chocolate icing and yeah of course I want to eat it too (never understood that saying, it makes no sense). I want to gorge on that cake. And when it looks like I might have to share it, I don’t like it. So bollocks to defeats, and even draws can fuck right off.

Its that simple really. Every game we play in now has great meaning and it wouldn’t make any difference if we were forty points clear with only ten games remaining. It’s not the fear of being caught, it’s the desperation to win every game that is making these games almost unbearable at times.

What this game showed me is that the players feel exactly the same way. They won’t say it. They’ll talk about focusing on the next game and not thinking of anything else. I’m sure they are doing that, but I’m just as sure that no matter how far ahead they are they badly want to win every game regardless. You could see it in this one.

When this game was threatening to get away from us after Wolves equalised and were piling on the pressure, it would have been easy for the players to buckle. After all, they’ve got such a huge cushion that a draw or even a defeat wouldn’t really cost them. It had all the ingredients of the end of the streak. We were not playing well, we’d lost Sadio, we were changing formation seemingly every ten minutes or so and we were up against an opponent who were hellbent on turning us over.

It was all set up for us to drop points and to perhaps even lose. All good runs have to end sometime and I said last week this was the toughest game we had left. There would have been no shame in drawing - or even losing - at Wolves but this squad don’t think that way. They’ve forgotten how to lose. Shit, I think they’ve forgotten how to draw too.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

I think Alisson is a big part of the reason players are fluffing chances against us.  The opposition think they have to do something special to beat him so they're trying to place shots too accurately and missing or blasting shots when they should be placing them (e.g. Martial). We used to do the same when DeGea looked unbeatable against us.  

• Upvote 2

Note your comments re Ox , Dave.

Not just last night but I don't think he is up to the standard of the rest of the team when in the first XI. Good squad option , but in any big games it should be Fab, Hendo & Gini , with Keita in the mix in games were we are expected to be attacking constantly.

• Upvote 3

I haven't given a flying fuck about unbeaten records and such like, only caring that we win the Fucking thing. Now though after reading an Arse' site today where they are literally shitting themselves that we will take their precious 'invincibles' tag. I have changed my mind.

Come on you Mighty 'Invincible' red machine!

• Upvote 2

Brilliant stuff dave. This certainly historic stuff we are seeing and how good it is that's its us doing it. We've waited for so long for these moments. What a time to be a Liverpool fan. 

It's glorious. 

This graphic really shows the season best compared to just looking at figures. Truly amazing. 

20200124_183200.jpg

• Upvote 3

I can't take the stress at all, I have to record the second half of matches and check the result at the end.  Even then I am scared to check the score.  A draw would feel like a defeat.

I agree, I want to go unbeaten, I want over 100 points, and I want to win the Champions League.  At the beginning of the season, I would have been happy to win the league by one point, but now I am greedy, and want to break all records.  It is a good job the players are mentally strong, I wish I had their confidence. 

Another factor is VAR.  I think the only goal I have screamed at this season was Curtis Jones in the FA Cup.  Now, it is just a case of waiting until they check every tiny thing. So at least if I record the games, I don't get that shit feeling when a goal is disallowed.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

Note your comments re Ox , Dave.

Not just last night but I don't think he is up to the standard of the rest of the team when in the first XI. Good squad option , but in any big games it should be Fab, Hendo & Gini , with Keita in the mix in games were we are expected to be attacking constantly.

Agree with this.  I'm ok with rotating in principle but I'm a lot happier when at least two of Fab, Gini and Hendo are starting. 

But I do think Ox has potential to improve. I remember reading some article where a surgeon said something like it would take two years before full flexibility could be achieved after an injury like he suffered.  

• Upvote 2

Bobby's goal was a mirror image of the one he had disallowed against the Mancs.  He does that shit with either foot.

Top quality player.  Fabinho being back for the run-in is brilliant timing. 

The performance might have dropped off a bit in the 2nd half, but that was a champion's result against spirited opponents.

And now they're gonna believe us.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tlw content said:

Another step closer and another game that has probably taken a month or two off the end of my life. 

Presumably leaving you with only about 12 months to go?

5 hours ago, tlw content said:

I want to gorge on that cake. And when it looks like I might have to share it, I don’t like it. 

Kinnell Davey. First it's chips, now you want me to bring cake as well? 

• Upvote 1

I'm afraid I too thought Robbo was poor. I adore him but I think he's been some way off his best for a few games now. Something of the same can be said for Trent. Nor do I think Mo has been a great deal to write home about. 

I think we're all gagging for Minamino to find his feet. Especially with Ox being a few exceptions away from being absent in all but name. 

So to sum up, I think we won that game with seven or eight players. Now THAT'S scary. 

• Upvote 1

After the game at Anfield at Christmas, I always knew that this game was going to be a battle.

And so it proved.

Unlike most teams, Wolves will really go at it toe-to-toe.

Yes, some LFC players played below their best, but as a team Liverpool stood tall and excelled. That's why Klopp was so pleased after the game.

Also loved Nuno's comments after the game - he knew how close Wolves had got to Liverpool and he knows how much closer they can be in the future. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Anubis said:

He is not, and never will be a Liverpool player.

I just don’t get it. He didn’t shit me up when he had the ball with the exception of the one time he was alone and just had to dunk a ball in. Credit to the scorer for creating the power too. Otherwise he was literally kicking the ball into touch and floating useless balls towards the back post. Still, that’s better than what he used to be like. He now hits, runs, and doesn’t hit row Z every single time. Just a lot of the time. Off the ball... useless. 

One hell of an athlete, who now has a quality team who occasionally do something with the balls he manages to keep in play. I’d genuinely rather have Pennant or Lennon. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Butch said:

Brilliant stuff dave. This certainly historic stuff we are seeing and how good it is that's its us doing it. We've waited for so long for these moments. What a time to be a Liverpool fan. 

It's glorious. 

This graphic really shows the season best compared to just looking at figures. Truly amazing. 

20200124_183200.jpg

Main thing I'm getting from that is City are due another loss in their next game.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Butch said:

It's glorious. 

20200124_183200.jpg

7 hours I've been trying to do this sudoku , does anybody have the answers ?

• Upvote 7

Very good report Dave. Just a couple of things

1. "I want to have my cake and eat it. Never understood the point of that saying" Exactly. As Billy Connolly once said "What the hell is the point of having a cake if I can't eat it"

2. Traore is terrifying, but was he more terrifying than Zaha against Milner this time last year? Also, I remember a game in 2002 when Gronkjaer absolutely destroyed Carragher. I thought that day he was going to be one of the all time greats. Obviously, the 2 careers went in different directions after that....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic