You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your Top 5 Horror Films of All Time

Tony Moanero

27 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I don't get massively frightened by them, but I really hate ones with loads of jump scares and find them very hard to watch.

My missus loves horror films, I'll just read a book or something when she's watching them. The jump scares are the worst, especially when they drag it out, I'll be shouting at the telly like Question Time is on.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

My missus loves horror films, I'll just read a book or something when she's watching them. The jump scares are the worst, especially when they drag it out, I'll be shouting at the telly like Question Time is on.

Did you watch that Haunting of Hill House series on Netflix? One particular scene in that I nearly went through the fucking ceiling. 

4 minutes ago, Mudface said:

The worst thing about it, is that there had been very few jump scares up to then, and no really major ones. This came out of the blue and was far more effective for it.

Yep. It had just been moody ghosts in the corner of rooms and stuff. Still scary but not jumpy. Then bam. Life ruined. 

15 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Where you watch it makes a big difference too. In the cinema whilst trying to kop a feel is boss

Your age makes a difference too. I saw it first on a big screen at Uni in about 1986 when I was 18. At the time it was a bit of a cause celebre as it had been banned on video- the Catholic society had objected to it being shown in the Uni hall and were handing out leaflets offering counselling afterwards for anyone disturbed by it. Ironically this made things a lot worse, as people were thinking, 'fuck, can it be that bad?' and getting wound up before it even started.

As it was, I found it absolutely terrifying and for the first and only time due to a film, I had real difficulty sleeping for a few days after. Fast forward to about 20 years ago, and it was re-released and I went to watch it with a friend who'd never seen it, absolutely cacking myself. Its effect was really diminished, it was more like a thriller than an out-and-out horror. Seeing it on telly a few years ago just showed it really needs a big screen and a nervous audience.

It's either a shame or a relief that it doesn't have the same effect these days, but it's an excellent, intelligent film and certainly still one of the best horror films ever. I'd imagine something like the original '20s Nosferatu would have had the same impact back when it was first released, it's still good now, but obviously not scary at all.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Your age makes a difference too. I saw it first on a big screen at Uni in about 1986 when I was 18. At the time it was a bit of a cause celebre as it had been banned on video- the Catholic society had objected to it being shown in the Uni hall and were handing out leaflets offering counselling afterwards for anyone disturbed by it. Ironically this made things a lot worse, as people were thinking, 'fuck, can it be that bad?' and getting wound up before it even started.

As it was, I found it absolutely terrifying and for the first and only time due to a film, I had real difficulty sleeping for a few days after. Fast forward to about 20 years ago, and it was re-released and I went to watch it with a friend who'd never seen it, absolutely cacking myself. Its effect was really diminished, it was more like a thriller than an out-and-out horror. Seeing it on telly a few years ago just showed it really needs a big screen and a nervous audience.

It's either a shame or a relief that it doesn't have the same effect these days, but it's an excellent, intelligent film and certainly still one of the best horror films ever. I'd imagine something like the original '20s Nosferatu would have had the same impact back when it was first released, it's still good now, but obviously not scary at all.

I think the age you watch it affects horror film possibly more than any other genre. I also couldn't be arsed with the Alien films as I watched them at a similar age as I did the Exorcist and had had my gore and jump reflexes recalibrated. All my favourite horrors I haven't seen since my childhood: Gremlins, Critters, Chucky with Scream and Event Horizon coming in my late teenage years. I'd probably hate all of them if I watched them now. 

I've heard Jaws ages well but I was so horrified yet glued to it as a kid I'm not sure I want to spoil the hazy memory of it

5 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Yeah, it is. Based on Casting the Runes by M.R. James. Casting the Runes was adapted for television in the late 70s, starring Jan Francis and the late, great Iain Cuthbertson. It’s crap, though.

I’m not aware of that ,  but there’s something strange about that film and The eeriness of it all as opposed to horror, what is comedy/ horror? .

1 minute ago, Remmie said:

I think the age you watch it affects horror film possibly more than any other genre. I also couldn't be arsed with the Alien films as I watched them at a similar age as I did the Exorcist and had had my gore and jump reflexes recalibrated. All my favourite horrors I haven't seen since my childhood: Gremlins, Critters, Chucky with Scream and Event Horizon coming in my late teenage years. I'd probably hate all of them if I watched them now

You'd hate Gremlins? Fuck you 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Nah fuck that shit. No need for that film whatsoever. Turned it off after 20 minutes. 

I don't think much happened in the first 20 minutes. I think at that stage it was like a soap opera. I bet you switched off Eastenders when Dirty Den died.

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

By the time I got to the head-clamp. 

Was that in the first Saw film?  Edit yes it was with the stopwatch. Grim. Very original horror movie though but they definitely milked it.