You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shrewsbury (A) Fa Cup 26/1/2020 - 17:00

Bjornebye

The only reason for fucking replays off is they get in the way of the big-money tournaments - and in the PL/CL era, money is far more important than winning trophies. 

It's the FA Cup, for fuck's sake!

This whole discussion belongs in the "Shitness of Modern Football" thread. We would, quite rightly, call Citeh whiny bitches if they were talking like this.

If we want to avoid replays, maybe we could try not shitting away a two-goal lead against a team 65 league places below us.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I agree that replays should be fucked off. 

I just don't really want him to go with the kind of side that played Villa for the replay in this. I'm looking forward to the draw tomorrow night. Its the FA Cup. Its well behind our two main priorities but as a fan its been our most realistic chance of silverware in most seasons that I have been old enough to follow the Reds. I've been to 3 Cup Finals with us and will always give a fuck about it. Its Shrewsbury at home for a chance in the last 16. Just get it won. 

I love Jürgen but I agree with you.

5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The only reason for fucking replays off is they get in the way of the big-money tournaments - and in the PL/CL era, money is far more important than winning trophies. 

This whole discussion belongs in the "Shitness of Modern Football" thread. We would, quite rightly, call Citeh whiny bitches if they were talking like this.

If we want to avoid replays, maybe we could try not shitting away a two-goal lead against a team 65 league places below us.

Spot on. 

14 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Not the only reason. There's just too many games. For everyone, not just top clubs. Karl Robinson said his players were at a "breaking point" because of the amount of games and he's about to manage Oxford United in a replay at St James' Park. He had no incentive to say this, his club is about to make a nice payday. 

Replays make no sense, they are stupid. Just make the lower league teams the home team and play one game. It's not hard. 

I'm perfectly happy with Jurgen's stance here. Everything the club does is meticulously planned, the fitness programs of the players will have included a break so they're getting a break.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the lads make themselves available. I'm thinking Lalanna and Milner and possibly Shaq.

They could - but they could also lose.

Surely he won't play a kids XI with players coming back from injury still needing game time - some looked fucking rusty enough today and need more football.

I'd have thought the replay almost handy from that perspective.

I still can't help but think that Klopp wants out of the Cup, maybe.

They really are stupid aren't they the people who run the game....the left hand with no idea what the right is doing!

In a letter sent to clubs from the Premier League in March, teams were told they were "expected to honour and respect the underlining rationale for the mid-season player break, namely to provide their players with a break from the physical and mental rigours of playing matches during the season".

"Clubs should not arrange competitive or friendly matches with other clubs during the mid-season player break," the letter continued....

6 minutes ago, skaro said:

They could - but they could also lose.

Surely he won't play a kids XI with players coming back from injury still needing game time - some looked fucking rusty enough today and need more football.

I'd have thought the replay almost handy from that perspective.

I still can't help but think that Klopp wants out of the Cup, maybe.

Kloppo’s already booked an all-inclusive in Tenerife. You can’t expect him not to go just because there’s footy on. They’ll have the match on in one of the bars anyway. 

• Upvote 2

Replays are everything to some clubs.  The best moment in their footballing lives. Some can only ever hope for a draw , it's their miracle.

Do we want to take that away from football?  Is football only for the big clubs? That attitude will lead us to a breakaway super league before we know it . 

To say that replays should be binned is arrogant in the extreme imo. We are a massive club with huge resources and we are just coming across as self entitled.

It's a tradition , it's english football culture - deal with it. If you want to play the kids, just do it - don't make a song and dance about it.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I don't like the situation, but he's earned the right to be trusted and backed on this. He's not made a great impact on the domestic cups, yet we've made strides year on year in the league and CL. I don't think that's a coincidence. 

The weight of expectation on the players' shoulders and what we're doing week in week out takes a mental as well as physical toll. He wants them recharged and ready for a sprint to the finish in the two biggest competitions.

I'd love us to win the FA Cup, as I always associate it with sunny days and big matches at Wembley. However, this has been brewing for a while, and it'll take a big fuss for the FA to finally fuck off replays.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Klopp should embarrass the FA with its hypocrisy but not follow through with his threat. Apart from being unfair on Shrewsbury, it will also unnecessarily turn off a lot of neutral support towards us which Klopp has generated over a long period. 

18 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I don't like the situation, but he's earned the right to be trusted and backed on this. He's not made a great impact on the domestic cups, yet we've made strides year on year in the league and CL. I don't think that's a coincidence. 

The weight of expectation on the players' shoulders and what we're doing week in week out takes a mental as well as physical toll. He wants them recharged and ready for a sprint to the finish in the two biggest competitions.

I'd love us to win the FA Cup, as I always associate it with sunny days and big matches at Wembley. However, this has been brewing for a while, and it'll take a big fuss for the FA to finally fuck off replays.

I think that's one of the most sensible posts Ive read since the result.

That said, Im totally at ease with the situation. Id like us to win the FA Cup but not before we've won the league and hopefully, retained the CL. Could we win all three this season? No I dont think so, I think it will be a massive ask for the players to win the title and retain the CL (still want to go unbeaten in the league as well!?) because anyone who has seen the players can see how fucked they looked towards the end of the wolves and spurs games for starters. We just cannot run the players into exhaustion playing extra games.

And anyone pointing to city should remember the easy run of draws city had in both domestic cups last season.

4 minutes ago, INTORRESTING said:

He isn't really playing the first team in the fa cup though? It's the squad and kids or people coming back from injury. 

We won't be running the first team into the ground and dont the others need the games?

He's saying the first team squad isnt going to play, full stop. The players still have their own training regime during this winter break and wont be at Melwood. There's 2 league games before the replay so Im guessing Fab will be used as a sub in these. After their showing today, I dont think I want to see Matip and Lovren get any first team minutes in place of Virgil or Joe!