You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shrewsbury (A) Fa Cup 26/1/2020 - 17:00

Bjornebye

Considering a national competition beneath us sounds an awful lot like the mistake Arsenal and Man Utd have made over recent years.

The words "mickey mouse cup" belong well and truly in the shitness of modern football thread.

Rotate, play the kids, whatever, but we should be trying to win the thing regardless.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Considering a national competition beneath us sounds an awful lot like the mistake Arsenal and Man Utd have made over recent years.

The words "mickey mouse cup" belong well and truly in the shitness of modern football thread.

Rotate, play the kids, whatever, but we should be trying to win the thing regardless.

I very much doubt Klopp thinks we're above the FA Cup. The problem is that, specifically in England with replays, there being two cups and no winter break, the schedule is too grueling. He's said that time and time again. He knows he's not in Germany anymore where they play less league games, have only one cup, have a break etc... You can't realistically go for every competition.

If they scrapped replays, had a break and maybe even took away the League Cup like France has done, we would be trying to win FA Cup.

But as it is, he's made the calculation that based on the fact we don't have two quality starting 11's full of 50m players like City do, it isn't worth it or even possible to compete in that competition if the goal is to win the Premier League and or Champions League.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Thats bollocks mate. 

You must have missed the part where we sacked a man who won one cup and got to a final of another, then treated the cupa with utter disdain ever since 

The only thing that's bol locks would be pretending kloop has ever gave a fuck about this tournament. 

Just now, dockers_strike said:

Im pretty certain if Jurgen hadnt been charged with ending a 30 year wait for the title and retaining the Champions League, the FA Cup and likely the EFL Cup would be higher priorities. But that's just my thinking.

They weren't much of a priority, when we were trying to finish 4th either. 

They've always been way down the list for him. 

3 minutes ago, Grinch said:

They weren't much of a priority, when we were trying to finish 4th either. 

They've always been way down the list for him. 

I always thought we were trying to finish 1st but always ended up around 4th because the team just wasnt good enough and lessened their chances by being burdend with extra cup games and replays!

I honestly think if you offered Klopp a week without a game in February, March and April or a place in the final he is taking the time off to rest and plan. We can't do what we do by flogging them, they need breaks every now and then. 

The more I think of it the more convinced I am that the team selected will be weaker than the Villa game. If he is making a stand he will make it in spectacular style.

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

You must have missed the part where we sacked a man who won one cup and got to a final of another, then treated the cupa with utter disdain ever since 

The only thing that's bol locks would be pretending kloop has ever gave a fuck about this tournament. 

Wenger from 2014-17 won the FA Cup three times  and yet virtually every year the fans wanted him binned .

I love the FA Cup or rather I used to but let's not pretend it's what it was.

The fact City could beat a team in the same division 6-0 was just another nail in it 

Klopp is here to win the league and if that hopefully happens shit like this won't matter  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I very much doubt Klopp thinks we're above the FA Cup. The problem is that, specifically in England with replays, there being two cups and no winter break, the schedule is too grueling. He's said that time and time again. He knows he's not in Germany anymore where they play less league games, have only one cup, have a break etc... You can't realistically go for every competition.

If they scrapped replays, had a break and maybe even took away the League Cup like France has done, we would be trying to win FA Cup.

But as it is, he's made the calculation that based on the fact we don't have two quality starting 11's full of 50m players like City do, it isn't worth it or even possible to compete in that competition if the goal is to win the Premier League and or Champions League.

Agree with this.

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Pointless?

There's a major trophy at stake.

Not any more. It once was,but allowing the PL to walk all over it,changing kick off times and dates and even allowing the current champions to opt out have all made it pretty meaningless nowadays. The kids will be trying to win but its been eclipsed by almost every other trophy,and even just to stay in the PL means more now. Shit,but true.

Fucking hell the Liverpool Senior Cup used to be a major trophy. When we played Everton in 61 there was nearly 52,000 at Goodison and 46,000 at Anfield the following year.

I've not seen Klopp once send out a full strength team against Prescot cables or Skem utd.

The disrespectful cunt.

13 hours ago, Grinch said:

So, you're saying Klopp is a cunt with no regard to the traditions of this club?

Apart from the Villa game (when it wasn't really his call) I don't think there's been a single cup tie in which he has chosen a team incapable of winning the tie.

6 hours ago, Aventus said:

Quite sad that the players only have two trophies deemed worthy of trying to win.

I enjoyed our super cup win, and becoming world champions, I want to see us lift every trophy possible, I have become addicted to Hendo tippy taps. 

I'd rather win both of those than the FA-Cup, especially considering what you had to win the Season before to actually be in those finals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

First team is away with our ‘ Reds on Tour ‘ shirts and straw Trilby XI v Shrewsbury.

Kelleher

Williams 

Hoever

Van Den Berg

Larouci

Chirivella

Dixon-Bonner

Clarkson

Elliott

Jones

Hardy

The ‘ can’t get away early got to finish up at work’ XI

Adrian

Williams

Matip

Lovren

Larouci

Fabinho

Keita

Lallana

Shaqiri

Origi

Minamino

Which do you choose which do you choose which.........

The FA Cup is still a good tournament and of course has given us some of our most memorable moments in the last 20 years, but it's not a priority this season so I'm not too arsed about it. Neither is Jurgen by the looks of it.

Can't blame Jurgen for being livid at us not beating Shrewsbury in the first game. That performance was one of the worst I've seen from us in years, and it was a pretty strong lineup considering who we were playing. Had the team done what was expected we wouldn't be having this fallout over the replay. 

It's really been the first major headache of the season, caused by a League One team!