You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shrewsbury (A) Fa Cup 26/1/2020 - 17:00

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, Dicko said:

And, Carabao have their name on the league cup doesn't mean the run it.

The PL is separate from the FA as you well know.

And even if that were not the case why schedule a replay during a winter break all the while telling clubs that they must respect the winter break.

As for the cup in 89, times change.

I'm not defending the FA here - they're a fuck up - but I am defending and respecting fans who still rate the FA Cup for whatever reason.

Yep, times change - and the FA Premier League was a breakaway from the Football League.

Personally, I still wish it was the old Football League that we are about to win this season.

12 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Spare a thought for Adrian. Been great for us, and would've been nice for him to get a decent cup run.

Still, a line had to be drawn. No point having principles if you're willing to change them when things get ugly.

Adrian should definitely play in the replay 

Why does he need a break ffs

45 minutes ago, skaro said:

I've actually enjoyed the discussions, opinions and disagreements after this game.

Really good, but i seem to 

have the scene from Toast - where he is arguing with Ray Purchase and the director in the forest - in my head.  When i am reading, the song is going round in my head. "No sense of it all"

I can't really say why, maybe the stress of waiting 30 years is finally getting to me.

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If Adrian got injured in a pointless replay we'd have no gk cover for PL or CL matches.

Then why did we risk him yesterday ? and I dare say he will play in the next round if we scrape though . Big deal the FA cup for many fans and some proper game time for our fringe players 

As a consistent advocate for the winter break and it’s importance where players are concerned, presumably Klopp doesn’t want to play any part in undermining it or letting it just be treated with lip service and filled with games the very first time its in place here.

In fairness though, that’s only one factor involved, on both sides of the argument. Including the job lot of Piz Buin delivered to his gaff last week.

1 minute ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

As a consistent advocate for the winter break and it’s importance where players are concerned, presumably Klopp doesn’t want to play any part in undermining it or allowing it just be treated with lip service the very first time its in place here.

In fairness though, that’s only one factor involved, on both sides of the argument. Including the job lot of Piz Buin delivered to his gaff last week.

They’d get Nivea gratis.

10 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Except not long ago you were saying you wanted us to smash city's points total and go undefeated!

And I dont know where you get the idea people think its ok to lose sometime. The point is you put a side out that wears the shirt. Its expected to win no matter what. You only have to read every match day thread on here (and elsewhere).

Same as your notion that its big money competitions that are killing the FA Cup. It is not. The top and bottom 8 sides in the Championship, League One and League two all tend to play weakened sides in the cups because they see promotion or avoiding relegation as more important than the cup. It's a sad fact but it's realism.

I've never been that arsed about breaking records.  I've certainly never prioritised it above competing for major trophies.

I get the idea that some people think it's OK to lose from the match threads for the League Cup and even the third round of the FA Cup  - people on this forum were happy with the prospect of losing to Everton at Anfield. We had to accept the Villa defeat because the grown-upsquad was away on business.  No way should we accept a repeat because some players who have barely played 15-20 games "need a break".

And, yes, when teams prioritise relegation/promotion over the FA Cup it is all about the corrupting effect of the money that's come in with the Premier League era.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I've never been that arsed about breaking records.  I've certainly never prioritised it above competing for major trophies.

I get the idea that some people think it's OK to lose from the match threads for the League Cup and even the third round of the FA Cup  - people on this forum were happy with the prospect of losing to Everton at Anfield. We had to accept the Villa defeat because the grown-upsquad was away on business.  No way should we accept a repeat because some players who have barely played 15-20 games "need a break".

And, yes, when teams prioritise relegation/promotion over the FA Cup it is all about the corrupting effect of the money that's come in with the Premier League era.

Mate, Im just trying to debate with you like you were sat opposite me in a pub. Im not being arsey.

But I think some people are missing what seems pretty obvious to me about this break. People ask, why do players like Lovren, Matip, Fab and a few others need a break, why dont they go in for training.

The way I see it is this. Klopp wants to refresh the players so he says everyone connected with the first team, that's him, players, physios, coaching staff and players have a break. That means even if Matip, Lovren and Fab come in for training, there's no first team coaching, no training drills and set pieces on the pitch. They need everyone in for that because they train for specific opponents and not just running around etc.

Klopp has said, all the players will have personal routines to do during the break to maintain their fitness or in the case of Matip and co, build it up.

People seem to think at this stage of the season, training is mainly running around the pitch and doing sprints. Im sure they do a little of this but at this stage training really is all about the opponents play, how to defend against their set pieces and practice ours.

I really dont agree with your assessment of big money competitions is preventing lower league clubs fielding full strength sides. Like I said, roughly the top and bottom 8 clubs in each league outside the PL are more intent fighting for promotion or relegation.

Ive said many times Im more than happy for Liverpool and other PL clubs to let lower league sides keep all the gate money from home cup draws. The FA stopped these clubs swapping home advantage to get a big payday at places like Anfield.

I saw someone post who doesnt want to better united's 1999 treble. Who doesnt? But united had won the title how many times under ferguson when they did that, was it 4 or 5 times? They didnt do a treble in 99 after going 27 years without winning the title.

city won a treble last season but, look at the number of easy draws they had in both domestic cups. And I'll argue all day it cost them a billion quid to do it.

You're right, an extra game against shrewsbury will not cause us to lose the title. But then in the next rounds if we drew city, united, chelsea and arsenal (yeah, bump draw luck I know) people would want our strongest team put out to face them. Those additional games on top of CL games would have an impact and potentially injuries.

If league performances dropped off as a result, the nerves inside Anfield would be like a crescendo and that would cause a massive wobble.

In my opinion, we need to get the 30 year monkey off our back before we start acting like kiddies in a sweet shop and saying I want the FA Cup as well or I want a treble as well. And Im sorry but you only need look at threads to see loads of people on here are going on about smashing city's points total and going unbeaten.

For what it's worth, I think once we do get over the line, we very likely will lose a couple of league games as, if we're still in the CL, Jurgen targets retaining that trophy and resting more of the elite players.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Moo said:

This is not even about the FA for me, and I'm not mega arsed about the FA Cup in the scheme of things.  It's about unnecessarily bringing pressure onto the club and staff, and about treating it's support with respect.  No Liverpool supporter should be going to a first team match expecting not to see the manager there unless in very exceptional circumstances. 

But if we are going to play the U23’s then Critchley is their manager. If Klopp were to say ‘look, Neil, I know you do an excellent job week in week out with the U23s, and I’ve seem fit to trust you in all their games so far, but fuck you I’m running the show because it’s an FA Cup tie’ I’d say that was being disrespectful to Critchley.

Good post, dockers strike.

If we agree that the reason the squad generally performs is because of the intensity of training, then that's why he wants everyone to have a rest. 

And we're not talking about what a manager thinks and whether he's right or wrong, we're taking about a man who has practically won every game this season while smashing every record going.

If he wants a rest for everyone and himself, give him the rest he wants. FSG are the only ones in a position to dispute that.