You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shrewsbury (A) Fa Cup 26/1/2020 - 17:00

Bjornebye

13 minutes ago, INTORRESTING said:

Replays are everything to some clubs.  The best moment in their footballing lives. Some can only ever hope for a draw , it's their miracle.

Do we want to take that away from football?  Is football only for the big clubs? That attitude will lead us to a breakaway super league before we know it . 

To say that replays should be binned is arrogant in the extreme imo. We are a massive club with huge resources and we are just coming across as self entitled.

It's a tradition , it's english football culture - deal with it. If you want to play the kids, just do it - don't make a song and dance about it.  

Here is someone who gets it. The replay for Shrewsbury is probably the biggest game they'll play in. They're fans loved it and you could see how happy they were. That's what the fa Cup is all about. Its always been one of the best competitions here but it's being rubbished in favour of the big money champions league, it's killing it, tonight is what it's all about. 

No big deal if we don't win with the young players. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Not the only reason. There's just too many games. For everyone, not just top clubs. Karl Robinson said his players were at a "breaking point" because of the amount of games and he's about to manage Oxford United in a replay at St James' Park. He had no incentive to say this, his club is about to make a nice payday. 

Replays make no sense, they are stupid. Just make the lower league teams the home team and play one game. It's not hard. 

That doesnt set clubs up for life, give players and fans the best moments of their lives though. The fa cup draw is still magical, players dreaming of drawing us at anfield or salford at OT.

Just now, INTORRESTING said:

No, not really. I think he is in charge for the season. Should he stop managing if we win the league in March?

Why would he stop managing in March? Do you not think he might want to try and go unbeaten in the league not to mention the CL?

Just now, Pidge said:

I assume the first team will be training overseas at the time, he'll be managing them...

No, they arent doing any overseas training. The players, manager and coaching staff are having a break. The players will be given individual fitness regimes to stick to for the 5 days.

2 minutes ago, Butch said:

Here is someone who gets it. The replay for Shrewsbury is probably the biggest game they'll play in. They're fans loved it and you could see how happy they were. That's what the fa Cup is all about. Its always been one of the best competitions here but it's being rubbished in favour of the big money champions league, it's killing it, tonight is what it's all about. 

No big deal if we don't win with the young players. 

What about Brentford and the myriad clubs who'll never make the CL but still rest players and bemoan the possibility of replays?

Get rid of replays but give lower division clubs the vast majority of profits when drawn against opposition from the top two divisions, as well as the option to play at home or away and go straight to penalties in the event of a draw. Those sort of changes would dramatically increase the chance of smaller clubs causing upsets and going into the latter stages of the competition.

38 minutes ago, INTORRESTING said:

To say that replays should be binned is arrogant in the extreme imo. We are a massive club with huge resources and we are just coming across as self entitled.

Ironically, it's simultaneously arrogant and shithouse. 

It's arrogant, because it's big clubs (and some of their fans) trying to change football to benefit themselves at other clubs' expense.

It's shithouse, because one or two extra games a season should be nothing to be afraid of. 

Make no mistake, if we somehow manage to shit the bed so badly that we fail to get 27 points from 15 league games, it will have nothing to do with playing an extra game against fucking Shrewsbury! On the contrary, a decent cup run could help our league form: every one of today's starting XI could be called upon in the league; but every one of them (for one reason or another) needs competitive football before they're ready.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

What about Brentford and the myriad clubs who'll never make the CL but still rest players and bemoan the possibility of replays?

Get rid of replays but give lower division clubs the vast majority of profits when drawn against opposition from the top two divisions, as well as the option to play at home or away and go straight to penalties in the event of a draw. Those sort of changes would dramatically increase the chance of smaller clubs causing upsets and going into the latter stages of the competition.

Correct and I think even Jurgen suggested giving lower league club the option of replays? And it was the FA who stopped lower league clubs swapping home advantage for a bigger payday when they drew a 'big' club.

There also this idea that the PL and CL with the big money has resulted in clubs playing weakened sides in the cup but that's not correct. Pick any league, The Championship, League One or League Two. Essentially, the top and bottom 8 clubs (if not more) in each of those leagues are fighting for promotion or to avoid relegation.

Virtually every one of those teams will field a weakened side in the FA Cup because they know getting promotion or avoiding relegation is more important to them long term.

I'm not bothered what the FA think. I'm not bothered if Jurgen wants to take a week off with all first team regulars . I'm not that bothered about winning the FA Cup  this season if Jurgen wants to concentrate on bigger fish. 

But I don't like it if Jurgen means not to field any of the first team squad even if they hardly ever play or need playing time after injury to make some point to the authorities. The likes of Lallana, Keita, Matip, Lovren, Adrian, Minamino, Fabinho, Jones, Williams need playing time more than a week on the beach. In fact they could play the replay and then have a week off because it's not as if they're likely to play in the first game after the break. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Some fans of some clubs would face a huge dilemma if you offered the fa cup but with relegation.

I have had this conversation twice today - 2 different clubs! Some clubs are likely to never win anything. The FA cup would be their best ever moment.

Even if we think it's not worth it, let's not advertise our views and just do whatever we want within reason and with no fuss!

My opinion:

Klopp has earned the right to manage the team however he likes. If he wants to protect he players and respect the winter break by fielding a weak team in the FA cup knowing that it risks knocking us out, then I'm backing him 100%.

This has nothing to do with being disrespectful to the Cup, its simple mathematics; there are too many games to be played over a given season that may cause a few players to burnout their stamina. At the end of the Wolve game a few players were unable to stand due to fatigue. Robbo didn't even make the bench today.

If I had to choose between progressing to the latter stages of the cup or finishing strongly in the league, I'm choosing the latter.

17 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Ironically, it's simultaneously arrogant and shithouse. 

It's arrogant, because it's big clubs (and some of their fans) trying to change football to benefit themselves at other clubs' expense.

It's shithouse, because one or two extra games a season should be nothing to be afraid of. 

Make no mistake, if we somehow manage to shit the bed so badly that we fail to get 27 points from 15 league games, it will have nothing to do with playing an extra game against fucking Shrewsbury! On the contrary, a decent cup run could help our league form: every one of today's starting XI could be called upon in the league; but every one of them (for one reason or another) needs competitive football before they're ready.

No, an extra game against Shrewsbury might not make a difference. But we want to win the league, we want to win it with a record points total and we want to win it by going undefeated all season. And we want to retain the CL.

And while we're doing that, let's put our strongest 11 out in later rounds of the cup because we've been unlucky and drawn united, city and spurs. We want to win the FA Cup because there's no point just getting to the final and losing is there?

Only now we start well Im not bothered about record points, nor going undefeated and Im not bothered if the players are fucking wasted in the CL because we got all the way to the cup final and lost. And never mind that virtually everyone can see the players look fucked in the last 15 minutes of games since Christmas and New Year.

I dont know about you mate I just dont think we can spread ourselves thinly.

it's all about perspective.

17 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

No, an extra game against Shrewsbury might not make a difference. But we want to win the league, we want to win it with a record points total and we want to win it by going undefeated all season. And we want to retain the CL.

And while we're doing that, let's put our strongest 11 out in later rounds of the cup because we've been unlucky and drawn united, city and spurs. We want to win the FA Cup because there's no point just getting to the final and losing is there?

Only now we start well Im not bothered about record points, nor going undefeated and Im not bothered if the players are fucking wasted in the CL because we got all the way to the cup final and lost. And never mind that virtually everyone can see the players look fucked in the last 15 minutes of games since Christmas and New Year.

I dont know about you mate I just dont think we can spread ourselves thinly.

it's all about perspective.

Record points totals mean nothing. Going unbeaten all season means nothing. Winning major trophies means everything.

The way to do that is to use our squad wisely: give a break to those who need it; give games to those who need them (like the XI who started today); and never, ever allow the idea that losing is sometimes OK to take hold.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Record points totals mean nothing. Going unbeaten all season means nothing. Winning major trophies means everything.

The way to do that is to use our squad wisely: give a break to those who need it; give games to those who need them (like the XI who started today); and never, ever allow the idea that losing is sometimes OK to take hold.

Except not long ago you were saying you wanted us to smash city's points total and go undefeated!

And I dont know where you get the idea people think its ok to lose sometime. The point is you put a side out that wears the shirt. Its expected to win no matter what. You only have to read every match day thread on here (and elsewhere).

Same as your notion that its big money competitions that are killing the FA Cup. It is not. The top and bottom 8 sides in the Championship, League One and League two all tend to play weakened sides in the cups because they see promotion or avoiding relegation as more important than the cup. It's a sad fact but it's realism.

• Upvote 1

We could get a combination of rest, adhering to holiday time, individual training regimes and the best possible chance of advancing to the 5th round of the Cup - by not playing just an U/23 side.

There are first team squad players that could easily play in that replay, and would arguably be better for doing so.

I think there might be a "protest" involved in Jurgen's position on the replay -  which involves being OK with potentially losing a match, on principle.

That is going to draw a mixed response from our fans and others - and fair enough I guess.

He can simply point to the fact that he is merely carrying out the FA's original intent and wishes. He can.

But we could easily send out a more competitive side - not just U/23s - and it wouldn't really fuck up any break, holidays, physical or mental wellbeing of the "first team".

On that basis, some might perhaps consider a protest/principle here misplaced.

The FA don't have much of a leg to stand on either though, the contradictory dicks.

As a footnote, our mixed team yesterday didn't anywhere near do the business... would they right that at Anfield?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

Klopp should embarrass the FA with its hypocrisy but not follow through with his threat. Apart from being unfair on Shrewsbury, it will also unnecessarily turn off a lot of neutral support towards us which Klopp has generated over a long period. 

Klopp and all other premier league managers are under instructions from the premier league not to arrange any competitive or international matches during this break. The game against Shrewsbury will be played by the reserves and it's not really Klopp deciding it.