You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shrewsbury (A) Fa Cup 26/1/2020 - 17:00

Bjornebye

I wonder if FA will threaten to or bring action against us if Klopp goes through with this.

Bound to be some caveat about cup replays and then not fielding a competitive team/first team management etc...he is obviously standing up and citing this letter but can't imagine FA will just let it go 

From offal...

From the official:

On the replay falling during the club’s Premier League winter break…

Look, our situation is the following: we have known that for a couple of weeks it is like this. Actually, we knew it a bit longer because it was always clear when we came through into the next round it would be like this. In April 2019, we got a letter from the Premier League where they asked us to respect the winter break, not to organise international friendlies and not to organise competitive games in respect of it. I have said to the boys already, two weeks ago, that we will have a winter break, so it means we will not be there – it will be the kids who play that game because they cannot deal with us like nobody cares about it. I know it is not very popular, but that’s the way I see it and, how I said, the Premier League asked us to respect the winter break and that’s what we do it. If then the FA do not respect it then we cannot change. But we will not be there.

On whether Neil Critchley will manage the team in the replay…

Exactly.

On the importance of his first-team squad getting a rest during the upcoming winter break…

It’s a winter break and maybe I could find the letter [from the Premier League]: it’s exactly like that, we have to respect it, to respect the players’ welfare and they need a rest – mental rest, physical rest. That’s what the winter break is about and then another competition tells us it’s not that important, so we had to make these decisions before because the boys have family and the international players like Jordan Henderson, Virgil van Dijk, Gini Wijnaldum, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Mo Salah, Sadio Mane, all these guys they have never [time] off so this is the week. I said in the moment it was clear there would be a winter break months ago, before I knew the FA Cup could come in between, then we would respect it and we do.

On how long the first-team squad will be ‘off’...

One week. They don’t have it ‘off’, they train but for themselves. They have running programmes, they have fitness programmes, that’s all they do. They never have ‘off’ time [but] they don’t come to Melwood and they don’t play football.

1 hour ago, General Dryness said:

Yeah, the Matip who's unavailable through injury for about 20 games a season. It doesn't matter how good he is if he's fucking snapped for that much of the time. 

Matip signed a 4 year deal a couple months ago, we clearly don't care about his injuries. Lovren, on the other hand, will go and will be replaced.

9 minutes ago, an tha said:

I wonder if FA will threaten to or bring action against us if Klopp goes through with this.

Bound to be some caveat about cup replays and then not fielding a competitive team/first team management etc...he is obviously standing up and citing this letter but can't imagine FA will just let it go 

I think he's wrong about this and shouldn't play complete novices.  If we lose at home to Shrewsbury he will come in for lots of stick which will be an unwanted distraction and piss off a lot of fans that like the FA cup.

I see no reason why he couldn't play a similar team as tonight. Fuck knows some of them need the practice

3 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I think he's wrong about this and shouldn't play complete novices.  If we lose at home to Shrewsbury he will come in for lots of stick which will be an unwanted distraction and piss off a lot of fans that like the FA cup.

I see no reason why he couldn't play a similar team as tonight. Fuck knows some of them need the practice

A team similar to what played today but possibly containing Lallana, Milner, Keita, Shaqiri (depending on fitness) would have worked IMO, but Klopp is making a point so we'll see...i reckon he is on a collision course with the FA.

I've decided I'm going to shit that performance out and try to look on the positives of having a replay: fringe players (with a few exceptions) and those returning from injury need a bit more football before they can be trusted in the Premier League or Champions League, so one extra winnable game can't hurt.

Can it?

[Edit]

Just seen Klopp's comments.  If he's thinking about playing a Villa-style line-up, he needs lazzy bands flicked at his bellend until he changes his mind.

• Downvote 1

Shitty performance today but looking on the bright side it's good for Shrewsbury and good for our young players getting another first team match.  However I'm not keen on Klopp's comments as he's only bringing pressure on himself when he could have just put a very mixed side out and no one would be any the wiser.  He's an emotional fella though so hopefully one he's had time to reflect he'll know he just has to get on with it. 

40 minutes ago, Caramac said:

What about this fucker then?

Laziness beyond belief by Matip here. wtf?

uDrHvQb.gif

Can't see anything wrong with that. He was trying to have a relaxing stroll for a minute then Mo kicks a fucking ball at him. The cheek of it.

Glad he carried on strolling and stuck with it instead of getting sheepled into running after a round leather ball rolling past.

I'm fine with Jurgen resting the first team for the replay. Honestly, our 2nd string and youth players should be enough against a team struggling in League 1. If they can't, that says more about our academy than it does about the quality of League 1.

The league is the priority and I'm perfectly happy to fuck everything else off to ensure we win it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, an tha said:

I doubt it, because the precedent for fielding weak teams when necessary was set well over a decade ago. It’s not just the top clubs, either; plenty of lower division teams rest swathes of players rather than risk fatigue or having to play in the next round of a competition in which they have no chance of significant progress. Brentford’s manager was openly relieved to have avoided a replay after losing to Leicester yesterday.

The continued existence of replays makes the FA Cup a nuisance as it stands, and without changes it will be reduced to even more of a fringe competition than it is. I’d suggest axing replays, going straight to penalties after 90 minutes and adjusting ticket revenues significantly in favour of the lower division club whenever they’re drawn against Premier League or Championship opposition.

The FA can fuck off. Since when have Liverpool been bothered by them? This the same FA that stopped lower league teams swapping home advantage in the cup to stop them enjoying a bigger payday that potentially keeps them going for a year? And the FA is going to take us to task for fielding a 'weakened' team that gives a lower league team a very good chance of progressing to the next round? And how do you determine a 'weak' team from a 'weakened' or 'very weak' team in their competition now?

The FA have diluted their own competition. We have VAR if the tie is played at a PL ground but no VAR if played at a lower league ground. There's replays in round 3 and 4 proper but not from round 5. Both semis at Wembley and the final kicking off at 5:30pm. They are having a fucking laugh to even think about sanctioning us.

I agree that replays should be fucked off. 

I just don't really want him to go with the kind of side that played Villa for the replay in this. I'm looking forward to the draw tomorrow night. Its the FA Cup. Its well behind our two main priorities but as a fan its been our most realistic chance of silverware in most seasons that I have been old enough to follow the Reds. I've been to 3 Cup Finals with us and will always give a fuck about it. Its Shrewsbury at home for a chance in the last 16. Just get it won. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I doubt it, because the precedent for fielding weak teams when necessary was set well over a decade ago. It’s not just the top clubs, either; plenty of lower division teams rest swathes of players rather than risk fatigue or having to play in the next round of a competition in which they have no chance of significant progress. Brentford’s manager was openly relieved to have avoided a replay after losing to Leicester yesterday.

The continued existence of replays makes the FA Cup a nuisance as it stands, and without changes it will be reduced to even more of a fringe competition than it is. I’d suggest axing replays, going straight to penalties after 90 minutes and adjusting ticket revenues significantly in favour of the lower division club whenever they’re drawn against Premier League or Championship opposition.

All true - but putting out an u23 team managed by the u23 manager is unheard of and i can't see FA liking it at all.