You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shrewsbury (A) Fa Cup 26/1/2020 - 17:00

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Matip, that Matip, the guy who was outstanding throughout the second half of last season, a genuinely excellent defender, that Matip, the one who never grumbles when he's not first pick, even though he should be based on form, that Matip?

Idiot.

Yeah, the Matip who's unavailable through injury for about 20 games a season. It doesn't matter how good he is if he's fucking snapped for that much of the time. 

7 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Yeah, the Matip who's unavailable through injury for about 20 games a season. It doesn't matter how good he is if he's fucking snapped for that much of the time. 

In those twenty games he's, normally, excellent.

You get a replacement who is better AND prepared to sit on the bench I'd happily kick him out the 'DO ONE' door, but the cost benefit ratio doesn't allow for that, unless we get really fucking lucky.

Degsy you can fire in to the sun for all I care, though.

Poor performance and Shrewsbury deserve the replay.

Id love to win the FA Cup again, but I want the League and Champions League more and I’m glad the team are still being rested that week as planned. 

Hopefully that team gets a good dressing down and come back to put in a better performance at the replay. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

In those twenty games he's, normally, excellent.

You get a replacement who is better AND prepared to sit on the bench I'd happily kick him out the 'DO ONE' door, but the cost benifit ratio doesn't allow for that, unless we get really fucking lucky.

Degsy you can fire in to the sun for all I care, though.

The bigger the club gets, the more likely you'll find better quality players that are willing to act as backup. The times they are a changin'.

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Im not surprised you dont see a problem.

You seem a snatch defeat from the jaws of victory kind of guy and let's spread our playing resources to the absolute limit trying to win just any trophy, it doesnt matter if it means missing out on the title because there's always the cup which in itself is a far bigger lottery.

The kind that believes we havent yet won the league (which is a fair enough position to hold) but still thinks there no issue loading the players up with even more games to try and win a lesser trophy than the bigger prize which is virtually in their grasp.

And yes, a gambler will always think they can outwit the bank. But they never do.

You seem to think you can't go after the cups and win the biggies.....well it can be done, Man City have shown that in recent years.

Now of course they have more resources than us, but yes I do believe we could be and could have been more competitive in the cups in last few years. Mix and match without risking too much can and does work.

Of course Klopp and his staff know where the players are better than we do, but for my money given we don't have a game for 11 days after this replay we could field a better team than an u23 side.....does not mean i want to see our best 11 flogged, but something similar to the side today would for me do.....some of those players need minutes judging by their performances today, there is rust there and i'd add in a returning Keita, Milner and Lallana to the needing minutes list too.

I like the FA cup and whilst it is of course not as important as the League and the European Cup i'd like us to win it - doing so does not have to come at the expense of the bigger aims.

37 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Haha that's what I thought. I guess it's about considering the rest of the season and fatigue but yeah they always struggle first game back. Didn't they all get the flu last time?? 

wwe're always shit when we get too much time to coach them.  Let them all piss off on holiday and come back refreshed.  

Reading that clubs were written to being told not to schedule games during break - obviously i would imagine they wanted to stop them arranging money spinning friendlies.

I reckon Klopp (and that is why he specifically said about "respecting the break") has decided to make a stand here and that is why he has said what he has said about first team away/Critchley in charge.

The powers that be and their TV overlords have fucked this up with staggered break and of course the replay situations.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

You seem to think you can't go after the cups and win the biggies.....well it can be done, Man City have shown that in recent years.

Now of course they have more resources than us, but yes I do believe we could be and could have been more competitive in the cups in last few years. Mix and match without risking too much can and does work.

Of course Klopp and his staff know where the players are better than we do, but for my money given we don't have a game for 11 days after this replay we could field a better team than an u23 side.....does not mean i want to see our best 11 flogged, but something similar to the side today would for me do.....some of those players need minutes judging by their performances today, there is rust there and i'd add in a returning Keita, Milner and Lallana to the needing minutes list too.

I like the FA cup and whilst it is of course not as important as the League and the European Cup i'd like us to win it - doing so does not have to come at the expense of the bigger aims.

Hahaha, yeah city did it after 42 years of winning sweet fuck all and spending a billion quid, ergo, it must be relatively easy to do so we must do it too. That's your thinking and we havent won the title for 30 years because you just want to win any trophy and not the one that's constantly eluded us for now nigh on a generation!

Ive been saying it for ages, to win the league we need to jib the domestic cups. By 'jib' I mean put out a U23 side with a sprinkling of squad players and players returning to fitness much like Jurgen has done.

But like Ive said, you dont see because you think it more important at this juncture to attempt to win everything we can instead of getting a 30 year monkey off our back first.

It's like you're in a 1500m race and 500m from the finish with you 100m ahead, you see the high jump has started so you step off the running track and try and win that as well.

You'll never grasp it as long as you've a hole in your arse.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Don't be a cock.

How am I being obtuse?

Your recomendation was a player better than Matip, whose able to play more games & is happy to sit on the bench, no? I offered one who met all the criteria.

Matip was, quite rightly, held in massive regard last season for his performances, including helping us win no6, now he's shite because we drew against a Legue One team in a one off game?

Cool, I'll just join in this FM fantasy nonsense.

Let's sign Kimmich as Trents understudy so we never draw against Shrewsbury again?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Hahaha, yeah city did it after 42 years of winning sweet fuck all and spending a billion quid, ergo, it must be relatively easy to do so we must do it too. That's your thinking and we havent won the title for 30 years because you just want to win any trophy and not the one that's constantly eluded us for now nigh on a generation!

Ive been saying it for ages, to win the league we need to jib the domestic cups. By 'jib' I mean put out a U23 side with a sprinkling of squad players and players returning to fitness much like Jurgen has done.

But like Ive said, you dont see because you think it more important at this juncture to attempt to win everything we can instead of getting a 30 year monkey off our back first.

It's like you're in a 1500m race and 500m from the finish with you 100m ahead, you see the high jump has started so you step off the running track and try and win that as well.

You'll never grasp it as long as you've a hole in your arse.

You seem to have a mental block about wanting to win cups and people who do are saying it comes ahead of winning the title for them - of course it does not....but winning a cup does not mean we can't win title...so whilst that block is there this conversation can't do anything other than circle round like it has been.

As for jibbing the cups, you have basically said same as me now - a mix and match side made up of kids and players in need of minutes/returning from injury.

Klopp hasn't said that is plan for replay though has he, hence my comments.

Personally i think he is on a collision course with the FA, especially with the Critchley will manage it line - will depend on what he is basing his 'respect the break' line on - if this letter rumour thing is true then we could be in for some fun..as clearly Klopp is making a stance.

Just now, gkmacca said:

The internet should be blown up because of idiot Gooners like that. Never, ever, give a Gooner a mic and a camera. Do give them a punch in the mouth and unending contempt.

I often think they're stupid but have had some good laughs at their ranting over the years.

8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

How am I being obtuse?

Your recomendation was a player better than Matip, whose able to play more games & is happy to sit on the bench, no? I offered one who met all the criteria.

Matip was, quite rightly, held in massive regard last season for his performances, including helping us win no6, now he's shite because we drew against a Legue One team in a one off game?

Cool, I'll just join in this FM fantasy nonsense.

Let's sign Kimmich as Trents understudy so we never draw against Shrewsbury again?

You've gone off the bellend scale Bruce. Go and have a lie down.