You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shrewsbury (A) Fa Cup 26/1/2020 - 17:00

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

He's dead right.

He is about the stupidity of replays in a break but it is not so good IMO when it comes to us winning things.

Break is a clusterfuck anyway....tv greed has meant it is split instead of everyone having same time off and that has contributed to this mess with replays in part of it.

We are  basically sacking off the FA Cup as the team that we will put out against them will be weak and they will be up for it.

However, if we get to the Quarter finals we have to reschedule the Crystal Palace home game and if we reached the semi finals the Brighton away game would be rescheduled. There are only two spare midweek non champions league slots near the end of the season. 

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

One things for sure, get rid of Origi, Matip and Lovren in the summer, none of them are either good enough or fit enough. Replace Original with Werner and get a quality CB in for the other two.

Agree about Origi and Lovren. Wolves are apparently interested in Origi so we should flog him there. Also a few Italian clubs will still be interested in Lovren.

Matip is ok when fit but he always has an injury that keeps him out for months every season.

13 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Jürgen clearly doesn’t give a fuck about the treble. 

Our first team regulars need a break to train properly and prepare for the remainder of the season.

I guess you could argue that it would be good for players like Matip, Lovren and Fabinho to stay behind and play the replay to rebuild match sharpness. But maybe going with the first team is even better, and  as we saw today they dont necessarily increase our chances of a win.

8 minutes ago, suzy said:

It’s annoying they’ve put the replay in the break. However Klopp’s not taking them away is he? We’re shite when we come back from them!

Haha that's what I thought. I guess it's about considering the rest of the season and fatigue but yeah they always struggle first game back. Didn't they all get the flu last time?? 

11 minutes ago, suzy said:

It’s annoying they’ve put the replay in the break. However Klopp’s not taking them away is he? We’re shite when we come back from them!

I read somewhere that he’s giving the first team a week off training. You’d imagine they’ll all go off on their own holidays with their wives and kids. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

One things for sure, get rid of Origi, Matip and Lovren in the summer, none of them are either good enough or fit enough. Replace Origi with Werner and get a quality CB in for the other two.

Yeah, they were all shite last season against far better teams in much bigger matches. So they should go. Let's waste money that could go on top players in other positions to buy replacements. 

As for the replay, as Klopp says, the PL said there should be no competitive games during the winter break, so they can stuff their complaints up their arses.

24 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I feared the worst when Piltdown Man was bigging up that journeyman striker before he came on, sure enough the parasites at the BBC got the result they wanted, with the plucky little Brexit racists getting one over on the global powerhouse that is Liverpool FC.

not-sure-if-joking-or-serious-quickmeme-com-futurama-fry-memes-51353959.png

Shrewsbury definitely deserved that so no complaints from me about the result. Ok the penalty was obviously bullshit but we were absolutely dreadful and Shrewsbury played out of their skins so don't want to linger on that. Have to hope the youngsters can do themselves proud and win the replay!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, an tha said:

He is about the stupidity of replays in a break but it is not so good IMO when it comes to us winning things.

Break is a clusterfuck anyway....tv greed has meant it is split instead of everyone having same time off and that has contributed to this mess with replays in part of it.

Oh fucking hell, you go on in the league game threads about IF we win the title and now you're wanting us to try winning the cup on top of our league and CL games. You couldnt make it up!

15 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

One things for sure, get rid of Origi, Matip and Lovren in the summer, none of them are either good enough or fit enough. Replace Origi with Werner and get a quality CB in for the other two.

Matip, that Matip, the guy who was outstanding throughout the second half of last season, a genuinely excellent defender, that Matip, the one who never grumbles when he's not first pick, even though he should be based on form, that Matip?

Idiot.

• Upvote 9

1 minute ago, gkmacca said:

Maybe not game time for the first XI though. Better to have a few low key reserve games, away from the public gaze, to learn where and how he should play.

I think the replay would be better. He'd probably be our most experienced player. 

2 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Maybe not game time for the first XI though. Better to have a few low key reserve games, away from the public gaze, to learn where and how he should play.

I didnt think Minamino was poor. I thought he was one of the better performers. And considering he was playing up front with Divock who did fuck all, I think that shows how hard a game he had.

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Oh fucking hell, you go on in the league game threads about IF we win the title and now you're wanting us to try winning the cup on top of our league and CL games. You couldnt make it up!

IF we win the title is a perfectly reasonable stance to take.

As for the cups - yes I like us to try and win everything we enter and as one of the biggest clubs in the world with a big squad we can IMO do better than field an u23 team in this replay.

There are players like Shaqiri, Origi, Lallana, Milner, Keita, Lovren, Matip for starters who either haven't played a lot of footy or are on way back from injury/could do with minutes (look how rusty Matip and Fabinho) looked today....and for me could make up bulk of a side to handle this replay rather than an u23 team.

I don't see why that is a problem.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I didnt think Minamino was poor. I thought he was one of the better performers. And considering he was playing up front with Divock who did fuck all, I think that shows how hard a game he had.

I didn't say he was poor. But your comments don't really conflict with mine. He'd be better off in a reserves game organised manily for him than chasing for passes that don't come from kids who don't know what's happening in a cup game. Origi got shite service, too, so he could hardly help anyone else.

9 minutes ago, an tha said:

IF we win the title is a perfectly reasonable stance to take.

As for the cups - yes I like us to try and win everything we enter and as one of the biggest clubs in the world with a big squad we can IMO do better than field an u23 team in this replay.

There are players like Shaqiri, Origi, Lallana, Milner, Keita, Lovren, Matip for starters who either haven't played a lot of footy or are on way back from injury/could do with minutes (look how rusty Matip and Fabinho) looked today....and for me could make up bulk of a side to handle this replay rather than an u23 team.

I don't see why that is a problem.

Im not surprised you dont see a problem.

You seem a snatch defeat from the jaws of victory kind of guy and let's spread our playing resources to the absolute limit trying to win just any trophy, it doesnt matter if it means missing out on the title because there's always the cup which in itself is a far bigger lottery.

The kind that believes we havent yet won the league (which is a fair enough position to hold) but still thinks there no issue loading the players up with even more games to try and win a lesser trophy than the bigger prize which is virtually in their grasp.

And yes, a gambler will always think they can outwit the bank. But they never do.

5 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

I didn't say he was poor. But your comments don't really conflict with mine. He'd be better off in a reserves game organised manily for him than chasing for passes that don't come from kids who don't know what's happening in a cup game. Origi got shite service, too, so he could hardly help anyone else.

No I was just trying to say my comments complimented yours.