You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Just now, easytoslip said:

Just saw some cunt doing two  fuckin' big yockers in the street, the filthy bastard, some people. 

One of the vilest things you can see that. Some scruffy prick did it outside central station in the morning a few weeks ago while I was cutting through to get to work. We made eye contact and he knew what i was thinking and he just went "wha?". Properly honked it back then spat it about 10 yards from him. People around and everything. Disgusting lack of awareness. 

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Tedros is a fucking whopper. Sorry but he is. Believed everything coming out of China and refused to call it a pandemic until it was obvious to just about everyone in the world that it was.

Oh, and he isnt a medical doctor either.

He isn't alone. 

Metro mayor Steve Rotheram will hold the press conference this afternoon with the leaders of the six boroughs in our region.

Liverpool Council's director of public health Matt Ashton is now speaking.

Giving an update on the situation in the region, he says the disease is spreading across all age groups and hospitals are all under pressure.

Mr Ashton said hospital beds are increasingly being taken up by Covid patients. 

He said it is approaching the 300 patients in hospitals with the disease during the first peak.

Metro mayor Steve Rotheram begins by speaking about the criticism that has been directed towards him by residents speaking against the new restrictions.

He said many people had got in touch with him after restrictions were put in place telling him that he had caved to government demands and calling on him to "grow a spine".

He said: "Those that know me know one thing about me. I would never do anything that harms our area."

He said anyone who knows him knows how much he loves our region. He said criticism had "stung him deeply".

He said there was no choice over local measures being introduced.

He says hospital and intensive care admissions are rising sharply and are approaching April's levels.

However, he said the government had portrayed the new restrictions as a negotiation and said they were nothing of the sort.

He called on residents of our region to "blame the mess" of the new restrictions on government.

He will continue to negotiate with government for further support but says their previous approach has been to "devolve blame, but not the financial power to help communities".

Further local support to supplement the government measures would be announced tomorrow.

That would mean businesses and workers may be able to access further support.

He said the region would "come together to help each other, regardless of the government".

Cllr Janette Williamson, Leader of Wirral Council, is now speaking.

She starts by addressing why Wirral was put in Tier 3 when its infection levels are slightly lower than other boroughs.

She said that because the borough sits within the city region it was treated as within the same region and underlined that it still had high infection levels.

She said local governments faced immense challenges in keeping residents and businesses afloat and echoed Metro Mayor Rotheram's call for further support from government.

David Baines, leader of St Helens Council, echoes Metro Mayor Rotheram's criticism of the government.

He said their approach over the last week was "petty and cynical" and that restrictions were presented as optional when they were never up for discussion.

However, he also underlined the importance of people sticking to measures to control the virus, warning that hospitals in the borough were under increasing strain.

Councillor Graham Morgan, leader of Knowsley Council, is now speaking.

The borough has one of the worst coronavirus rates in Europe.

Councillor Morgan has heavily criticised the government over news out today which revealed that scientific advisors recommended a "circuit breaker" lockdown weeks ago.

He said the delay in implementing new measures had cost Knowsley and other boroughs of the region dearly

Councillor Ian Maher, leader of Sefton Council, repeated calls for further support from government, saying council budgets in our region are so stretched by years of austerity that they don't have the capacity to cope alone.

He also said the situation nationally meant that he thought further restrictions may soon be needed on a nationwide basis.

He said that, like other boroughs, Southport and Ormskirk hospitals were also feeling the strain from spikes in the disease. He said that, aside from Covid admissions, the virus was causing huge amounts of staff absence in hospitals as well.

The leader of Halton, the only borough in the city region that isn't also in Merseyside, said he believed Tier 3 for our area was a warning sign for the rest of the region.

Councillor Rob Polhill said the extra money for Test and Trace, along with the local furlough scheme, would help people but said there were some workers who would not receive a high enough wage to live off under the current conditions of the furlough scheme.

Mayor Joe Anderson is speaking now and said he was proud of the work done by all the boroughs in our region to respond to the pandemic.

Like the other leaders today, he said government had held "discussions, not negotiations" over the Tier 3 measures.

He said that he would continue to push for more support for the region but said: "We've got no choice, they've put these measures in support and we don't have a choice over that."

He said he would continue push for more financial support for the region.

5 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

So central government insisted on closing Liverpool down, but not Nottingham, where cases or higher. Interesting one, that.

The leader of Nottingham City Council has explained why Nottingham has not been placed under the most severe restrictions, despite having the highest number of cases per 100,000 people in the UK.

Speaking after the Tier Two restrictions were announced today (Monday, October 12), he said: “My understanding is that there are two reasons the city hasn’t been placed into tier three.

“The first is that our hospitals aren’t currently at that level. There is a great deal of preparation going on, but they’re not full.

“The second is that the cases haven’t spread in large numbers to the older population. Most of our cases are currently among younger people.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/nottingham-not-tier-three-lockdown-4600248

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

One of the vilest things you can see that. Some scruffy prick did it outside central station in the morning a few weeks ago while I was cutting through to get to work. We made eye contact and he knew what i was thinking and he just went "wha?". Properly honked it back then spat it about 10 yards from him. People around and everything. Disgusting lack of awareness. 

I know, no shame vile bastards. 

Society has gone right down the pan. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I've heard that despite the lockdown in Scotland, some airport bars are still open. People have been buying £10 Ryanair flights just to get rat-arsed and not even boarding the aeroplane.

Probably because the pilots are matching them drink for drink 

11 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I know, no shame vile bastards. 

Society has gone right down the pan. 

I hate it mate. Living in Southsea for so long its a small community and the scumbag factor is very low. Moving back to Liverpool it was a reminder of how many wonderful people we have in this city, but also how many absolute scumbags. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I've heard that despite the lockdown in Scotland, some airport bars are still open. People have been buying £10 Ryanair flights just to get rat-arsed and not even boarding the aeroplane.

Haha fucking hell. 

When it comes to booze you can't stop people getting what they want, there's almost a century's worth of organised crime in the States tracing its roots  back to it. 

38 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I hate it mate. Living in Southsea for so long its a small community and the scumbag factor is very low. Moving back to Liverpool it was a reminder of how many wonderful people we have in this city, but also how many absolute scumbags. 

Same here, I've been wanting to come home for quite some time, my ex brother in law moved back 18 months ago and he can get me in, a Jewish Housing association just across the road from Sefton Park Ullett Ave and its really nice but miles from Litherland which has really gone down though still nice in places. 

Full of scumbags and gangs as you well know as with other parts but I feel the city centre has changed for the worst, I still love it mind, its losing or lost its essence for me. 

When im home I stay in town but I'm in the hotel usually about 9pm to avoid the arseholes which is a shame, I used to call in the Richmond but scumbags abound round there as is the same by the Lord Nelson where they cut through to London Rd, my mate who ran it warned me when I was bladdered and fell down the steps, rightly so. 

Southampton is awash with them but in a smaller area its more noticeable, but the teenagers in general have no respect or shame, I live in old part which was nice but now you've got them shouting and gobbling off, and the council want to promote tourism, well what little it has to offer, yet they're housing drug dealers etc in this part among the elderly in our block, I feel sorry for them, plus the unstable cunt who has moved in above me, they don't give a fuck.

Round the cunts up and put them on an island and let them get on with their scumbag lives

Rant over. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Same here, I've been wanting to come home for quite some time, my ex brother in law moved back 18 months ago and he can get me in, a Jewish Housing association just across the road from Sefton Park Ullett Ave and its really nice but miles from Litherland which has really gone down though still nice in places. 

Full of scumbags and gangs as you well know as with other parts but I feel the city centre has changed for the worst, I still love it mind, its losing or lost its essence for me. 

When im home I stay in town but I'm in the hotel usually about 9pm to avoid the arseholes which is a shame, I used to call in the Richmond but scumbags abound round there as is the same by the Lord Nelson where they cut through to London Rd, my mate who ran it warned me when I was bladdered and fell down the steps, rightly so. 

Southampton is awash with them but in a smaller area its more noticeable, but the teenagers in general have no respect or shame, I live in old part which was nice but now you've got them shouting and gobbling off, and the council want to promote tourism, well what little it has to offer, yet they're housing drug dealers etc in this part among the elderly in our block, I feel sorry for them, plus the unstable cunt who has moved in above me, they don't give a fuck.

Round the cunts up and put them on an island and let them get on with their scumbag lives

Rant over. 

I don't notice spalls in the city centre as much, its mainly homeless and smack-heads that cause the problems round there. I imagine going up London rd etc you will see more scalls. Mind you if you drink in say, the Bullring then its your own fault. 

Everywhere has its wankers. They just seem more dangerous in Liverpool. A complete disregard for anyone but themselves. See the twats on scramblers and quads flying up and down East Prescot Rd putting everyone else's lives at risk. Dickheads driving round chucking stuff at people from their car. Just absolute dickheads.