You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Been in bed hot and cold for a few hours. She’s just woke me to tell me we’ve got it. Both had the email. Isolation until the 21st. Hope to god I feel a bit better tomorrow properly deteriorated since about 5. Burning up but feel freezing 

As for everyone wearing snoods, that’s a lie. I’ve seen one person wearing something that can’t be passed a mask. It’s blatant lies I don’t know why anyone bothers. Me included. 

Hope you get better soon.

The authors said the US patient could have been exposed to a very high dose of the virus the second time around, triggering a more acute reaction. 

Alternatively, it may have been a more virulent strain of the virus. 

Another hypothesis is a mechanism known as antibody dependent enhancement -- that is, when antibodies actually make subsequent infections worse, such as with dengue fever.

The researchers pointed out that reinfection of any kind remains rare, with only a handful of confirmed cases out of tens of millions of Covid-19 infections globally.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/covid-19-reinfection-casts-doubt-on-virus-immunity-study-2309323

and get well soon Stig

They put that same nevada reinfecton story out about once a month. First saw it in August then again in September.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200830/first-u-s-covid-19-reinfection-reported-in-nevada-patient

It's still one case out of an absolute minimum of 34 million. Also, vaccines boost immune responses far in excess of natural immunity. It's interesting like but not doomsday shit.

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Been in bed hot and cold for a few hours. She’s just woke me to tell me we’ve got it. Both had the email. Isolation until the 21st. Hope to god I feel a bit better tomorrow properly deteriorated since about 5. Burning up but feel freezing 

As for everyone wearing snoods, that’s a lie. I’ve seen one person wearing something that can’t be passed a mask. It’s blatant lies I don’t know why anyone bothers. Me included. 

I said last week the hot and cold thing was definitely a massive indicator of Covid but you'll never guess which two posters disagreed.

Take care mate 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Just putting this here seeing as yesterday there were suggestions that the WHO didn’t agree with lockdowns.

Looking forward to Mr Spock's logical breakdown of this...

Interesting thread on how much the Government have spent the last couple of months....

Funny listening to Oliver Dowden over the sport that can't be mentioned Big Picture proposed deal and him saying it sounds like a shady backroom dealing...Well him and his corrupt Govt should know all about that

3 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Interesting thread on how much the Government have spent the last couple of months....

Funny listening to Oliver Dowden over the sport that can't be mentioned Big Picture proposed deal and him saying it sounds like a shady backroom dealing...Well him and his corrupt Govt should know all about that

I'm sure the Taxpayers' Alliance will be all over this.

56 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I still can't tell if the British government are simply as incompetent as they appear or they are just pressing on with their original desire to achieve herd immunity. Probably both.

The 'not overwhelm the NHS' bit is key though isn't it.

Maybe they do want herd immunity, and they could achieve it very very quickly by re-opening everything tomorrow, footy games, nightclubs, etc etc.   Done.  

Well, done, but crashing the NHS during the winter. 

So, why didn't they do it during the summer instead?  

1 hour ago, Elite said:

I said last week the hot and cold thing was definitely a massive indicator of Covid but you'll never guess which two posters disagreed.

No, that's just not true. I simply pointed out I'd had that numerous times with other bugs.

17 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Fluter in Dakota, do you want to post an image of the masks you are using and see if people still agree that they are effective in reducing the transmission?

Why don't you? You sold them. I'm not yet using those, I'm using full face shields. 

The main thing I use is a temperature reader and I perform smell tests using essential oils. If someone has symptoms they don't get in. If someone doesn't have symptoms, perhaps the viral load is low that their mask, my shield and ventilation in the car will prevent spread. 

One of my students has already isolated as her father died a couple of weeks ago with a positive diagnosis. I'll be sure to pass on your sentiments on this virus. 

I don't think there's a plan as such with the government in terms of herd immunity or anything like that, I think there's a couple of things going on and it's a perfect storm. 

Johnson isn't built for leadership. He wanted to be PM so he can get a picture/write a book about it, but he doesn't want any of the hard work - and this is some very unexpected hard work. But he's also extremely self absorbed and so has surrounded himself with people who won't outshine him or have ideas above their station, which means nobody in charge of any department has a fucking clue. Raab, Hancock, Patel, Williamson are like an inverted top trumps of Tory talent over the decades.

Sadly, said same people are possibly/probably borderline psychopathic. You often find this type of people in boardrooms. People who will stand on your face just to get ahead. That kind of mindset isn't conducive to protecting a population's health or wealth during a public health crisis. 

Related to the above, most of their decisions - even at the height of a life and death crisis - will be self serving. I've posted about this anecdote before, but I remember the head of the US Federal Reserve talking about when the Credit Crunch was kicking off. He gathered banking leaders together in a room and basically said if they didn't sort it out now, this was the end of the world. And he said people were making excuses to leave the room so they could make phonecalls to try and make money out of it. 

People like the type in our cabinet and those around them/bankrolling them, saw a lot of this in terms of how to progress their own careers - either in or after politics - or simply gave contracts to people they knew in the hopes they'd pay it forward at some point. Literally gangsterism. 

Underneath all that is the prevailing philosophy of the Conservative party. The idea that the markets know best. That everything will level itself out, and if your bar fails it's simply the order of things and a better, stronger bar will eventually emerge in its place. This philosophy is embraced, but only until its their pub or their mate's pub. If it's not though, you're fucked. Sunak especially looks like someone who, following his first foray into mass state support for businesses with the furlough scheme, has been birched - probably quite literally - by some of the shysters in the background. The whole thing was anathema to them as an ideology. 

So that's where we are. Everyman for him or herself, seizing opportunities - any opportunities - to make a buck, regardless of whether or not the service works, cronyism, and a smattering of sociopathy with brains removed is what led us here. I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

But the British public is complicit, wholly complicit in this. None of these people were an unknown quantity, least of all Johnson. If you took a Delorean back to last year and asked most people to predict how he would handle a national crisis, the phrases 'bluster' 'absent' 'no attention to detail' would have been far from their predictions. So we can only conclude the great British public took these decisions because they only anticipated the fallout from  their shitness would only impact on other people, and not them. But now it is (although I'd argue the Tier 3 thing for Liverpool and the likes of Jenrick dishing out cash to his own constituency is a not so subtle attempt to make it look like they're redressing that issue.

• Upvote 7