You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

34 minutes ago, Code said:

It was a nurse who took the test on me. 

There were two lines of cars, and one for people on bikes and foot.

First some guy from Securitas checked my ID and what time I was supposed to be there.

Then I drove into the tent and two nurses where operating the lines. 

And that was just you 

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The amount of people who throw around willy nilly that they have the flu is hilarious. 99% of those people don't have the flu. 

I absolutely thought I had flu coming on last Monday. As the day went on I could move less and less. Still bad Tuesday but wed/thu/fri not too bad just still ill so its definitely Covid. Has to be. I've had flu and once it grips you're fucked for days. Still not had our results. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The amount of people who throw around willy nilly that they have the flu is hilarious. 99% of those people don't have the flu. 

They call it the 20 quid test. If you're in bed sick and someone drops 20 on the floor, if you've really got the flu you won't bother trying to pick it up.

The flu is a.ferocious motherfucker. Last time I had it I was about 17 and in bed for about four days, used to have delirious dreams about people bringing me bottles of pineapple lemo from the lemonade man.

55 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

If you had flu, I doubt you'd be posting on here or much else for that matter.

A big thing in ireland, and I’m sure over with yea too is people saying they’ve a “bit of full” but still come to work, or drive or whatever.  Anyone who’s ever had the flu knows the truth. I’ve had it once in my 47 years on this earth and it knocked the shite out of me.  Bed ridden, hallucinating, lost about a stone in weight. Utterly horrendous. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

A big thing in ireland, and I’m sure over with yea too is people saying they’ve a “bit of full” but still come to work, or drive or whatever.  Anyone who’s ever had the flu knows the truth. I’ve had it once in my 47 years on this earth and it knocked the shite out of me.  Bed ridden, hallucinating, lost about a stone in weight. Utterly horrendous. 

Pretty similar to my experience with it too. I'm sure I've posted about this before but I've had flu once and never want to get it again.

I’d like to see the Cabinet agree to a pay reduction, equivalent to one third of their salaries, for the duration any one in this country is furloughed on 66% of whatever they earn.

Perhaps the balance of the collective Cabinet salaries could be donated to good causes in the areas most badly impacted; food banks, mental health support etc.

Probably wouldn’t make a difference to most of them, in terms of their standard of living, but it might make them think a bit about the reality of the position they’re about to put an awful lot of people in.

I don’t care that they would actually still be working, whilst those furloughed are not. They may be working but they sure as hell aren’t performing. 

Obviously this won’t happen because they are cunts. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Code said:

The reason I asked the question was if she will actually notice the paycut, or does she earn so much in the first place that its more of a symbolic gesture to put herself in a good light?

The thing is it will most likely work either way.

It is a gesture, but a positive one nonetheless.

New Zealand are also allowing full stadiums at the rugby today.  

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I made a general statement about the flu. Where you got me diagnosing individual people out of that, I don't know. Poor from you as usual. 

You pulled a 99% figure out of your arse, the obvious implication being you think it applies here too. Otherwise why mention it.

9 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

You pulled a 99% figure out of your arse, the obvious implication being you think it applies here too. Otherwise why mention it.

Was clearly serious about the 99% stat. Not hyperbole at all. And yeah, it was a general comment about the severity of the flu and how people generally underplay it because I saw it mentioned in the thread. But if I'm honest, if I was to guess here, not diagnose, but guess because that's what we all do and we're not Doctors, I don't think it's likely Code actually has the flu, There, you happy? You've annihilated me here Stront19m Dog trademark symbol, I'm scrambling. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, skend04 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/11/would-herd-immunity-stop-the-spread-of-coronavirus

This herd immunity idea that got dug up again by a load of libertarians seems like a load of bollocks. Can the theoretical epidemiologist theorise about something that won't kill lots of people in practice?

I got to five unsupported assertions before I stopped counting.

I'm starting to come round to the idea that the lockdowns are only going to be temporary sticking plasters. We're stuck with this bastard virus for the long haul, and I think we'd be better off just sticking with the social distancing, hand washing and wearing masks until it comes under control and / or a vaccine is developed!

We can't keep going in to lockdown under this malignant government because we'll come out the other end of this virus with thousands more homeless, and people starving to death!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I'm starting to come round to the idea that the lockdowns are only going to be temporary sticking plasters. We're stuck with this bastard virus for the long haul, and I think we'd be better off just sticking with the social distancing, hand washing and wearing masks until it comes under control and / or a vaccine is developed!

We can't keep going in to lockdown under this malignant government because we'll come out the other end of this virus with thousands more homeless, and people starving to death!

Lockdowns are hugely disproportionate IMO, they've become a thing for two reasons.

The advice of medical experts whose only goal (quite rightly) is saving lives from this particular outbreak, no other considerations come into their thinking, be it mental health, social breakdown, other illnesses or economic breakdown. 

This is coupled with a lazy and incompetent government that doesn't have the will or the tools (because they've all been sold off) to do the alternative, which is a real track, trace and isolate system.

But what it's basically resulted in is students who have between a 0.1 and 0.4% chance of dying being kept under house arrest in their dorms by their tens of thousands (after they've paid their fees of course).

• Upvote 1

Two bubbles have gone down in my wife's school since the start of term. One went down with a kid sick, everyone isolated for two weeks, kid was fine, everyone back at school. Kitchen staff bubble went down, isolated for two weeks, kids had no hot food, woman recovered fine, everyone back at work.

Another teacher has been off three times already because her kid is teething, but every time she gets a temperature the nursery phone her and the family all have to go for covid tests and she can't come in until they all come back clear, which they all have.

Because of rising cases they've all got to wear masks indoors from tomorrow. The disruption is off the scale, the staff are all knackered and these kids are gonna need counselling until they're 46. 

The level of disruption to ordinary life with all this is insane, but of course you can't say it lest someone denounce you with "what if it was your nan."

• Upvote 2

I have to be honest, if this shit is still going on in 2 years I'll look to emigrate to new Zealand if its still covid free. 

I'm 39, have two young children and I really don't want this to be their existence. Never seeing anybodies face, standing away from people and generally being afraid of fucking everything. No fucking way am I sticking this forever. 

• Upvote 2