You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

11 minutes ago, Anubis said:

That's unbelievable.

Their juniors are nearly twice my private hourly rate, and we don't even charge private clients that because we know they can't afford it, but rather give them a fixed figure to do the job. Is there any oversight on this,because Deloitte are taking the piss.

Sorry, the juniors are £660; it's the fucking interns who cost £290. From Private Eye:

Ej3-J5i-Wo-AAntyn.jpg

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

You're an aggressive little one and quick to blow up, aren't you? You're on here day, night; 3 PM, 3 AM. You're stressed, constantly submerged in this information, your head is gone - perhaps best for you to have your own personal lockdown if you're not already. As for "daily crying over restrictions", you'll find I've posted in this thread on about 10 days since July

As for how its going for me? To be honest with you I'm in a position financially where these measures are pretty easily navigated. I'm about to have a 3 week trip through Italy. If the measures are still in such force then, I'll go somewhere else after that for a bit of sun. Doesn't really impact me. If you can read, as you profess to, however, you'll note that I'd said the worm will turn in November as unemployment spirals at the end of the month. 8% of the workforce are still on a furlough. The Mail via Oxford University, already today, are circulating headlines that the average age of death from coronavirus is 82.4 years, higher than the average age reached by people recorded as dying from all other causes, which is 81.5. Deaths themselves remain in the 00s. Again, financially I will be more-than fine. I'm not personally affected, but I do find it very saddening to see social progress crumble, and to think of those millions of jobs lost and families impacted.

My sympathies go out to anyone like yourself who lives a life of such stress & fear waiting for the sky to fall in and new enenmies to appear, whether its covid or something else. Will let you get back to your 24 hr morbid absorbtion now.

Before anyone suggests it this isn’t me. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Haha

Here's a graph showing exponential growth on a log scale.

If you pay close attention you'll see it's very similar to the graph I posted yesterday.

Simulated-exponential-log-scale.png

In fairness, he says "Over 500 Covid admissions in England", but then talks about exponential growth in one specific area. Growth is not exponential in the whole of England or the UK.

Another problem with this, is that if someone catches it in hospital, they are counted as a Covid admission.

But yes, technically speaking I was incorrect.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

You're an aggressive little one and quick to blow up, aren't you? You're on here day, night; 3 PM, 3 AM. You're stressed, constantly submerged in this information, your head is gone - perhaps best for you to have your own personal lockdown if you're not already. As for "daily crying over restrictions", you'll find I've posted in this thread on about 10 days since July

As for how its going for me? To be honest with you I'm in a position financially where these measures are pretty easily navigated. I'm about to have a 3 week trip through Italy. If the measures are still in such force then, I'll go somewhere else after that for a bit of sun. Doesn't really impact me. If you can read, as you profess to, however, you'll note that I'd said the worm will turn in November as unemployment spirals at the end of the month. 8% of the workforce are still on a furlough. The Mail via Oxford University, already today, are circulating headlines that the average age of death from coronavirus is 82.4 years, higher than the average age reached by people recorded as dying from all other causes, which is 81.5. Deaths themselves remain in the 00s. Again, financially I will be more-than fine. I'm not personally affected, but I do find it very saddening to see social progress crumble, and to think of those millions of jobs lost and families impacted.

My sympathies go out to anyone like yourself who lives a life of such stress & fear waiting for the sky to fall in and new enenmies to appear, whether its covid or something else. Will let you get back to your 24 hr morbid absorbtion now.

Yeah, I’m raging. Absolutely livid because some nonentity on the internet chats shit. And as for me being stressed, you sound like your going to give yourself an aneurysm. “You’re on here at 3am” says man who was quoting me at 1.45am last night.

Standard stuff for the type of people who like to call others snowflakes while they flail around getting offended by everything. 

When I said “how’s this going for you” I was clearly referring to the quote of yours. I don’t want your fucking life story. You’d understand that, if you could read. 

Oh, and since I’m aggressive I suppose I’d better tell you to go and shove a badger up your rancid arse while I’m trembling with fury. And then I’ll go climb my tower and watch for my new ‘enenmies’ to appear. 

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

There is no point engaging when you can't comprehend that correlation is not causation. 

Belarus did nothing. Their president advocated drinking vodka and taking saunas. They eventually did some minor social distancing. They only have 93 deaths per million. Somalia has half the deaths per million that Japan has, and they have done virtually nothing by way of restrictions. I'm not messaging you repeatedly on here going "Somalia, Somalia, Somalia!".

Call me sceptical, but I'm not going to believe those figures out of Belarus and *checks notes* Somalia, no. 

If you want to take them at face value, fine, but I'd not recommend dying on that hill. 

17 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Before anyone suggests it this isn’t me. 

That’s exactly what you would say if it was you. Hmmm. 

In other news, here are the weekly ONS figures. I’ve been sitting here all day refreshing my page waiting for them while kicking fuck out of a goat. 

Just now, Sugar Ape said:

That’s exactly what you would say if it was you. Hmmm. 

In other news, here are the weekly ONS figures. I’ve been sitting here all day refreshing my page waiting for them while kicking fuck out of a goat. 

"yeah but.... herds" 

47 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Makes you come across as a bit of a tit.

“Look at me, everyone, I’ve got plenty of money”. 

Good for you. There’s nothing like modesty, is there?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Spy Bee said:

Well, they have less deaths per million than the UK, and their economy is in a much better state, and they are seemingly living quite normal lives.

That they’re not quite as bad as the UK isn’t really a convincing argument. I don’t think anyone on here thinks the UK have done a good job, regardless of their views on Covid. 

2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

That they’re not quite as bad as the UK isn’t really a convincing argument. I don’t think anyone on here thinks the UK have done a good job, regardless of their views on Covid. 

The way I see it, is that if we find a silver bullet vaccine in the next few months, Sweden will come out of this with a death rate somewhere in the top twenty in the world, if we don't, and it basically becomes globally endemic, then Sweden will be miles ahead of every other nation.

I think the chance of finding a silver bullet vaccine is pretty slim.

Surely Sweden’s approach to herd immunity can’t be thought responsible for any relative management of Covid by the very same principle Japan’s low death toll can’t be attributed to their widespread use of face masks and a less individualistic society.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

The way I see it, is that if we find a silver bullet vaccine in the next few months, Sweden will come out of this with a death rate somewhere in the top twenty in the world, if we don't, and it basically becomes globally endemic, then Sweden will be miles ahead of every other nation.

I think the chance of finding a silver bullet vaccine is pretty slim.

Pointless speculating really. Maybe they’ll have another big outbreak there, maybe they won’t. People in this thread were convinced Covid was over in the UK not so long ago and we wouldn’t have another big rise in cases here. Have to wait and see. 

I agree on a silver bullet vaccine. Obviously possible but I very much doubt it’s going to happen. We don’t necessarily need one to get life back a lot closer to normal though, new treatments for better outcomes or a vaccine that reduces the severity, while not being a silver bullet, would probably make the risk manageable. 

21 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Ej4w7NWXgAEWiYg?format=png&name=small

You mean to tell me the economy isn't booming in Sweden? That's weird. Weren't we told by all the wannabe Nobel Laureates that Kronor would be flowing whilst the rest of the world would all be unemployed and poor because of lockdown? Shocking. It's almost like, and everyone who knows anything has been saying it, that the virus is what has fucked up economies, not the measures to slow it down.