You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Like you have about Japan. 

There is no point engaging when you can't comprehend that correlation is not causation. 

Belarus did nothing. Their president advocated drinking vodka and taking saunas. They eventually did some minor social distancing. They only have 93 deaths per million. Somalia has half the deaths per million that Japan has, and they have done virtually nothing by way of restrictions. I'm not messaging you repeatedly on here going "Somalia, Somalia, Somalia!".

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

There is no point engaging when you can't comprehend that correlation is not causation. 

Belarus did nothing. Their president advocated drinking vodka and taking saunas. They eventually did some minor social distancing. They only have 93 deaths per million. Somalia has half the deaths per million that Japan has, and they have done virtually nothing by way of restrictions. I'm not messaging you repeatedly on here going "Somalia, Somalia, Somalia!".

Why don't you just say "I don't know" then? 

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

The number is Thailand is amazing. Same population as the UK give or take, Bangkok same population as London give or take. 0.8 deaths per million!

Agreed. 4th April the Thai government asked the people to comply with their request to wear face-masks in public places. 

2020-04-4-tha-sitrep-42-covid19-final-wi

Cost of the world beating test and trace system now around £10 billion, with much of it going to Deloitte. Some of the rates are eye watering. For instance, senior management consultants cost £1495 per hour, but even juniors cost as much as £295 per hour. Duties for juniors include photocopying, and not a lot else, apparently. So, we're now at the stage where we're outsourcing photocopying on a public health project that still isn't actually fit for purpose after almost 5 months, all for the bargain price of £295 per hour. Boy, those private sector efficiencies, eh.

• Upvote 5

webp.net-resizeimage%20(10).jpg

"Dido, given you've done such a bang up job with the test and trace system, would you mind heading up the new the public health body replacing PHE?"

"Why Matt, I'd be delighted! Where do I sign?"

Absolute clown show of a country.

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Its there on that document if you read it you fucking moron 

Yes it is, but if you think that simply wearing masks has reduced the level of fatality to less than one person per million, you're not very bright. If you don't think that is the only reason for the extremely low level of deaths, why post like a mask wearing evangelist?

Could wearing masks have had an impact? Yes, possibly. Is wearing a mask a panacea? Of course it fucking isn't.

Just now, Spy Bee said:

Yes it is, but if you think that simply wearing masks has reduced the level of fatality to less than one person per million, you're not very bright. If you don't think that is the only reason for the extremely low level of deaths, why post like a mask wearing evangelist?

Could wearing masks have had an impact? Yes, possibly. Is wearing a mask a panacea? Of course it fucking isn't.

I was simply pointing out that since April their government asked them to wear masks. You have said masks have no impact. You then listed Thailand as a "wow look how well they have done" so naturally I have pointed the fact about masks out you stupid ignorant little cunt 

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

Martin "Brexiteers aren't racist" Daubney with a now deleted tweet. Man, he's one of a very select few faces I'd have now problem smashing in with a blunt object. Cunt.

IMG-20201009-WA0004.jpg

Surely all possible causes of spread should be looked into. If the home is the main place for transmission, then obviously it is more likely to spread in crowded housing. Then it's common sense to look at where you might get crowded housing... HMO's, poorer families, eastern european shift workers and certain ethnicities where this is common place.

Ignoring this because there are some characteristics of the problem might lie in cultural behaviours, is not political correct, it's just silly.

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I was simply pointing out that since April their government asked them to wear masks. You have said masks have no impact. You then listed Thailand as a "wow look how well they have done" so naturally I have pointed the fact about masks out you stupid ignorant little cunt 

Clearing up confusion between correlation and causation

8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Surely all possible causes of spread should be looked into. If the home is the main place for transmission, then obviously it is more likely to spread in crowded housing. Then it's common sense to look at where you might get crowded housing... HMO's, poorer families, eastern european shift workers and certain ethnicities where this is common place.

Ignoring this because there are some characteristics of the problem might lie in cultural behaviours, is not political correct, it's just silly.

I've likely posted in here that the high incidences of us minorities catching Covid included multi-generation households as a cause. However, Nottingham rates dropped right down in the lockdown, as did most places, and have only exploded with the 2 universities returning along with schools. If it was the immigrants what caused the high rates then they would have remained high throughout the lockdown. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I've likely posted in here that the high incidences of us minorities catching Covid included multi-generation households as a cause. However, Nottingham rates dropped right down in the lockdown, as did most places, and have only exploded with the 2 universities returning along with schools. If it was the immigrants what caused the high rates then they would have remained high throughout the lockdown. 

Possibly, but again there are a range of factors at play. In other areas, we have lockdowns fail, but they have been as we head into colder weather, so did the lockdown work, or was it the warmer weather we experienced? Was it the higher levels of vitamin D? Many outbreaks in factories did seem to centre around Eastern European workers, but was that because they hotbed, or was it because of the working conditions afforded to them when they were at work. What we shouldn't be doing is jumping to any conclusions, what we should be doing is asking lots of questions.

3 hours ago, elvis said:

They're also a very healthy population , a healthy heart and cardiovascular system goes a long way in surviving Corona virus . 

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Absolutely but still 1500 compared to 45 thousand..... Is that down to sushi? 

My understanding from films is that the major cause of deaths in Japan is female ghosts wearing white funeral shifts and long dark hair covering their faces.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Possibly, but again there are a range of factors at play. In other areas, we have lockdowns fail, but they have been as we head into colder weather, so did the lockdown work, or was it the warmer weather we experienced? Was it the higher levels of vitamin D? Many outbreaks in factories did seem to centre around Eastern European workers, but was that because they hotbed, or was it because of the working conditions afforded to them when they were at work. What we shouldn't be doing is jumping to any conclusions, what we should be doing is asking lots of questions.

Did you really just say we shouldn’t be jumping to conclusions?  Totally agree. It’s not been around a year yet, best not to make stupid decisions that can’t be unpicked. 

49 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Cost of the world beating test and trace system now around £10 billion, with much of it going to Deloitte. Some of the rates are eye watering. For instance, senior management consultants cost £1495 per hour, but even juniors cost as much as £295 per hour. Duties for juniors include photocopying, and not a lot else, apparently. So, we're now at the stage where we're outsourcing photocopying on a public health project that still isn't actually fit for purpose after almost 5 months, all for the bargain price of £295 per hour. Boy, those private sector efficiencies, eh.

That's unbelievable.

Their juniors are nearly twice my private hourly rate, and we don't even charge private clients that because we know they can't afford it, but rather give them a fixed figure to do the job. Is there any oversight on this,because Deloitte are taking the piss.

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

My understanding from films is that the major cause of deaths in Japan is female ghosts wearing white funeral shifts and long dark hair covering their faces.

Correlation doesn't give ice-cream sunburn. 

Guest Alex_K
10 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Believe it or not, I can actually read. He was asking about students requiring hospital care and it just so happened I’d recently read an article about that very subject so I thought I’d share it with him. Is that alright or do I have to get your permission in the future?

I also believe he asked about how many students need hospital treatment, not how many have died. And we don’t know how many ‘young’ people are affected in an adverse way. At all. It is possible to be seriously ill and not die you know. 

As for me being on the edge of hysteria, you’re on here daily crying over restrictions. Look at the state of your comment below. William Wallace didn’t feel as hard done by as you do. 

How’s this going for you? I’m still waiting for the worm to turn, and to my immense surprise it doesn’t look like the measures are going to be curtailed. In fact, they’re bringing even stricter measures in. 

We had just under 7,000 cases the day you posted that and today had over 17,000. Guess we’re lucky these fanciful doomsday scenarios aren’t coming true, eh?

Now, go and spout your usual shit about road traffic accidents and whatever else you’re droning on about to someone else.

It’s pretty clear from our last interaction no one is buying what you’re selling on here. And it’s a waste of my time responding to you.  

You're an aggressive little one and quick to blow up, aren't you? You're on here day, night; 3 PM, 3 AM. You're stressed, constantly submerged in this information, your head is gone - perhaps best for you to have your own personal lockdown if you're not already. As for "daily crying over restrictions", you'll find I've posted in this thread on about 10 days since July

As for how its going for me? To be honest with you I'm in a position financially where these measures are pretty easily navigated. I'm about to have a 3 week trip through Italy. If the measures are still in such force then, I'll go somewhere else after that for a bit of sun. Doesn't really impact me. If you can read, as you profess to, however, you'll note that I'd said the worm will turn in November as unemployment spirals at the end of the month. 8% of the workforce are still on a furlough. The Mail via Oxford University, already today, are circulating headlines that the average age of death from coronavirus is 82.4 years, higher than the average age reached by people recorded as dying from all other causes, which is 81.5. Deaths themselves remain in the 00s. Again, financially I will be more-than fine. I'm not personally affected, but I do find it very saddening to see social progress crumble, and to think of those millions of jobs lost and families impacted.

My sympathies go out to anyone like yourself who lives a life of such stress & fear waiting for the sky to fall in and new enenmies to appear, whether its covid or something else. Will let you get back to your 24 hr morbid absorbtion now.

3 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

It's doubling, it is not becoming more and more rapid

I'm really not Stig. Just because two things happen, does not mean that one thing caused the other. 

Ice cream does not cause sunburn!

Haha

Here's a graph showing exponential growth on a log scale.

If you pay close attention you'll see it's very similar to the graph I posted yesterday.

Simulated-exponential-log-scale.png

• Upvote 2