Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 973 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

Looks like there's a real effort to question schools being open again even though they could've helped drive this whole situation. The Telegraph on the 30th of Sept had an article titled "No link between schools and coronavirus infection rates, global analysis suggests". I wonder how many researchers would question that though?

 

But we've got to obsess about some pubs shutting at 10pm instead by the looks of it instead.

 

Then I looked at the sidebar of the Telegraph and saw articles titled "Herd immunity could've saved more lives than lockdown, study suggests", and "Life can go back to normal if we make it our common goal to achieve herd immunity".

 

OK. No agenda there obviously.

 

Don't mention that schools might be spreading the virus around up and down the country though. Let's just argue about pubs, then maybe if there's a herd immunity project on the go things will carry on going well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

Looks like there's a real effort to question schools being open again even though they could've helped drive this whole situation. The Telegraph on the 30th of Sept had an article titled "No link between schools and coronavirus infection rates, global analysis suggests". I wonder how many researchers would question that though?

 

But we've got to obsess about some pubs shutting at 10pm instead by the looks of it instead.

 

Then I looked at the sidebar of the Telegraph and saw articles titled "Herd immunity could've saved more lives than lockdown, study suggests", and "Life can go back to normal if we make it our common goal to achieve herd immunity".

 

OK. No agenda there obviously.

 

Don't mention that schools might be spreading the virus around up and down the country though. Let's just argue about pubs, then maybe if there's a herd immunity project on the go things will carry on going well.

The thing is, how often are the kids going to school anyway. There's a year group the year below one of my kids. They got a 2 weeks home isolation, they can back on Monday and were sent home Wednesday because of covid. It's fucking mental 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

The thing is, how often are the kids going to school anyway. There's a year group the year below one of my kids. They got a 2 weeks home isolation, they can back on Monday and were sent home Wednesday because of covid. It's fucking mental 

 

It looks like there's plenty of teachers that can see the mess it's causing and are trying to help. Teaching unions might be sick of it too, but the gov and the media don't seem to be bothered. Not sure if many in Labour or other opposition parties are either. If they are it definitely doesn't seem to be getting through to the media enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Red Phoenix said:

 

It looks like there's plenty of teachers that can see the mess it's causing and are trying to help. Teaching unions might be sick of it too, but the gov and the media don't seem to be bothered. Not sure if many in Labour or other opposition parties are either. If they are it definitely doesn't seem to be getting through to the media enough.

Absolutely everyone is afraid to say having the kids going to school is about the worst thing we could do. Because the real answer is to send the kids in a safer environment (perhaps 10 in a class and part time video or something), but it's too hard and politicians today never do the hard, just cheap soundbites. The opposition don't want to be seen speaking against kids being in school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was/wasn't/was/but wasn't really funny when Boris Johnson stood in-front of about 5 socially distanced kids in a class-room and chatted some bollocks only for the camera to pan round as he walked out to show the rest of the class bunched together and one of them call him an arse-hole. Nearly as funny as the fella on his campaign trail last year morning too him about the dogshit on the green in-front of his garden then going "Get em out!" and twatting him on the back. 

 

We're in a comedy sitcom and Trump is just the US version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Absolutely everyone is afraid to say having the kids going to school is about the worst thing we could do. Because the real answer is to send the kids in a safer environment (perhaps 10 in a class and part time video or something), but it's too hard and politicians today never do the hard, just cheap soundbites. The opposition don't want to be seen speaking against kids being in school. 

 

Yeah it's like it's a taboo subject or something. Total elephant in the room. Maybe some opposition party should try reading this study article out to the gov during PMQ's and see what the response is, then we can watch the media squirm as they cover it too

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

 

Yeah it's like it's a taboo subject or something. Total elephant in the room. Maybe some opposition party should try reading this study article out to the gov during PMQ's and see what the response is, then we can watch the media squirm as they cover it too

 

 

 

We need that quick test the rest of the world seems to have started using. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Italy gave everybody who worked in schools including cleaners covid tests prior to the new term starting. I was surprised they didn't do something at least for secondary schools here. If you are a mature teacher in a secondary schools who has a few extra pounds i can imagine it is a worrying time being in a classroom with 30 odd kids. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We need that quick test the rest of the world seems to have started using. 

Sorry not sure what that is, I've hardly been following this lately because I guessed it'd be such a mess as it started up again. Even worse than before now that they're obsessed with keeping things open and causing a total mess of things worse than last time.

 

If hospitals are flooded soon though and can't cope I'm sure the herd immunity logic will look great once again. Maybe long covid will even get a few mentions too, especially when more are suffering from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

Yes.

 

Although I would advise my mum to take every precaution not to catch it.

If the government pressed ahead with a strong herd immunity plan and your mum died as a result of it, would you be ok with that?

 

That's essentially the scenario you are putting to  the public. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

 

Yeah it's like it's a taboo subject or something. Total elephant in the room. Maybe some opposition party should try reading this study article out to the gov during PMQ's and see what the response is, then we can watch the media squirm as they cover it too

 

 

 

And yet schools are still open, teachers and children aren't allowed to wear masks, (in the school where my Mrs works) and idiot parents, many without masks are congregating far too close together at the school gates.

Madness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stouffer said:

What I'd like to know is if they make glue from horses why aren't they sticky when  you pat them?

Are you patting them in the right place, and for long enough ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

How would anyone know? 

 

This is what Birmingham City Council says.

 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/citys-message-boris-home-covid-19068119

 

Quote

Birmingham's political and business leaders have told the Government there is no evidence for more lockdown restrictions affecting pubs, restaurants and cafes - because nearly every case of coronavirus here is picked up at home.

Fears are mounting that Boris Johnson's Government plans to impose uniform restrictions on all areas with similarly high numbers of cases as a way to avoid confusing variations.

The upshot could be more damaging restrictions on the city's fragile hospitality sector - even though all the evidence suggests that hardly any infection is transmitted there.

Just 2% of local cases are thought to come from entertainment and hospitality venues, and there have been no major outbreaks, says the letter sent today by Birmingham City Council and Greater Birmingham Chambers of Commerce.

"The Government cannot claim to be following the science when imposing restrictions if it is not supported by evidence collated on the ground," they write.

"A failure to do so will erode the public's trust and confidence in the necessity of restrictions and impact on the levels of adherence to them."

The letter, co-signed by city council leader Cllr Ian Ward, deputy leader Cllr Brigid Jones, and Chambers chief executive Paul Faulkner, says just 2% of all infections traced locally are thought to emanate from hospitality venues - the vast majority, nine out of ten cases (91%), are picked up at home, or when visiting another home.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck me, of all the questionable sources you'v used, Birmingham City Council has to be the fucking craziest. Why don't you find out what Hulk Hogan thinks? 

 

Transmission is invisible so its not traceable enough for statistics around it. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm quite sure the councillors themselves aren't going around the streets testing everyone.

 

It's blatantly not true that "transmission is invisible". They have a good idea of where people are contracting the illness and who is spreading it.

 

Nevertheless, what a brave new world we're in when I'm being criticised for citing Labour councils.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I'm quite sure the councillors themselves aren't going around the streets testing everyone.

 

It's blatantly not true that "transmission is invisible". They have a good idea of where people are contracting the illness and who is spreading it.

 

Nevertheless, what a brave new world we're in when I'm being criticised for citing Labour councils.

Are you saying transmission of this virus is visible? What does it look like? Does it jump? 

 

Why does that matter? What relevance? None. You're being criticised for yet again sharing and spouting complete and utter shit. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Gupta and her mates have no consequence to being wrong. They should be asked to put some skin in the game.  Ok guys, we’ll take your strategy but if you’re wrong you spend the rest of your lives in prison. With Big Ron who’s in with the warders. 

This.

 

I want Gupta's head taken off if it goes wrong, and I want her family burned alive. 

There you go love, what good idea did you have again? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from the above, I want to know how many of the thousands of students infected this week have needed hospital treatment.  Where is that stat?

Locking kids in student halls, taking down the covid messages on their windows, is the most Chinese shit I've seen in this country.

This feels like breaking point, the Tories are really bending the fuck out of this dry stick and grinning about it.  'Fear' is really quickly turning to 'anger' among many in the country.

IDS was Tweeting today that we needed to do something about the 'epidemic of gaming addiction'.  Uwotm8? 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Are you saying transmission of this virus is visible? What does it look like? Does it jump? 

 

Why does that matter? What relevance? None. You're being criticised for yet again sharing and spouting complete and utter shit. 

 

No, as usual you're criticising me because you have a bizarre and unfathomable objection to the facts I'm posting.

 

Here's an article from the British Medical Journal, who I've no doubt will be the next people to be written off as cranks, apropos of absolutely nothing.

 

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3181

 

Quote

Current test and trace policies have mainly focused on preventing spread in care homes, hospitals, and in the community. However, contact within households is thought to be responsible for roughly 70% of SARS-CoV-2 transmission when widespread community control measures are in place.

 

Public Health England, more cranks.

 

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/covid-cases-where-spread-fastest-uk-not-pubs-resaurants-expert-explained-656077

 

Quote

Contact tracing data data from Public Health England (PHE) shows that socialising inside people’s homes is currently the primary driver of infections, while pubs and restaurants account for a very low percentage of transmission, Linda Bauld, Professor of Public Health at Edinburgh University, said.

 

Well, we all know Hancock is a liar, so you can disregard him if you want, but let's include him anyway.

 

https://en.mercopress.com/2020/08/20/most-people-catch-covid-19-in-house-to-house-transmission-uk-health-secretary-hancock

 

Quote

Britain is unlikely to follow France in ordering people to wear face coverings at work because its test and trace scheme shows most people catch COVID-19 in house-to-house transmission, health secretary Matt Hancock said on Wednesday (Aug 19).


“We are not currently considering doing that,” he told BBC TV, when asked if Britain would impose masks at workplaces as in France. “The reason is that the evidence from NHS Test and Trace for where people catch the disease is that, very largely, they catch it from one household meeting another household, usually in one of their homes”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×