You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

The problem is if you do just let it rip, you stand the chance of overwhelming hospitals and killing or incapacitating health workers, thus making things a whole lot worse. Plus, you're still going to have to isolate the most vulnerable- particularly in care homes- so they're going to be in the same situation as they are now. That's before you even consider nasty stuff like long-Covid, where a significant percentage of people are still ill months after the initial infection.

As for the rules, they're a hodgepodge of sensible and stupid ideas and seem to have been cooked up on the back of theoretical models and actuarial figures. To take one example, either close pubs completely and compensate them financially or let them stay open as normal. Trying this ridiculous middle ground of shutting at ten is the worst of both worlds with a load of unintended but entirely foreseeable consequences- something this shithouse of a government seems very adept at doing.

But whats the alternative? We can't keep hiding away until a vaccine is found, theres no guarnteee you will get one and whether it will work anyway. Going around in a vicious circle is going to kill a lot more people going forward, and it won't have anything to do with contracting a virus.

5 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

But whats the alternative? We can't keep hiding away until a vaccine is found, theres no guarnteee you will get one and whether it will work anyway. Going around in a vicious circle is going to kill a lot more people going forward, and it won't have anything to do with contracting a virus.

Well quite, the vaccine is a Hail Mary pass and the Tories have brought us to this position. There is no easy way out, but you can guarantee if this bunch of fucking cunts thought they could get away with it, then they'd just let it go. The fact that even they aren't doing this, shows that it would be worse than the current situation.

Just now, Anubis said:

Police being told not to download the track and trace app to their work phones, and not to carry their personal phone on duty if they’ve downloaded it onto that. Clearly they think it’s not secure for some reason.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54328644

Same happened with NHS workers- as they're more likely to come into prolonged contact with people who've had a positive test, they'll be getting messages telling them to isolate when they likely don't need to as they'd be wearing PPE.

It's interesting that we seem to be talking in Britain like a 'second wave' was inevitable but beyond France and Spain the numbers in other parts of Europe are nowhere near as bleak. The Italians were the canary in the coal mine and they've come through the other side in much better shape. China reckons they've had no local transmissions for weeks. 

23 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

3 days running relatively flat on the Zoe app, which has to be a good sign. I don't think they're susceptible to "weekend numbers" like the government. 

Screenshot_20200928-111523.jpg

Make that 4-

image.png

Really hope this is the peak and it starts to decline from here.

• Upvote 1

Zoe app flat for the 4th day running, I think this is the lowest of the 4 days, but they've all been in the 19k's. And I think cases per million dropped slightly in the north west  

Another thing I heard yesterday, so this is just anecdotal, but a number of people throughout the south east (I know of some in Kent, north London and Harrow way) where they're trying to get tests and can't. So the government changed the website and stopped offering tests in Aberdeen or whatever to stop that flow of bad news stories and they can now claim people are getting tests on average 6 miles from their house. This is in part due to the people I know in order to get the tests, putting in postcodes where they know covid to be high as that's where they've moved the mobile testing centers to. And then they get offered tests. So I know 3 groups who've been to Birmingham and north to be tested - so when infection rates look worse in those areas, it might actually be inaccurate because it's people from other parts of the country searching down tests. 

Screenshot_20200929-093016.jpg

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Oh and strangely my train to London this morning is the busiest I've seen since lockdown (I'd have still said it was quiet before lockdown). Perhaps people are squeezing in a last trip before a heavier lockdown. 

Any fucker not wearing a mask?