You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Fingers crossed, at that rate it could peak in a few weeks and actually start to decline.

Hopefully. The Zoe app I think tends to track a bit ahead data wise and that was at about 9k at the begining of this week and is now at 17k. It's only early I guess in this new rise, so we probably need a couple of more weeks data. And hopefully of course some of these new rules have a positive effect. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Hopefully. The Zoe app I think tends to track a bit ahead data wise and that was at about 9k at the begining of this week and is now at 17k. It's only early I guess in this new rise, so we probably need a couple of more weeks data. And hopefully of course some of these new rules have a positive effect. 

Yeah, I think the ONS data is about a week or so behind. As you say, it's a single data point but it's something at least.

33 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Noticed this on the Zoe app before dated today:

Rapid rise in cases takes numbers back to May levels in just 3 weeks

September 25, 2020

According to the latest COVID Symptom Study app figures, there are currently,16,130 daily new symptomatic cases of COVID in the UK on average over the two weeks up to 20 September (excluding care homes). The number of daily new cases continues to climb in the UK, with the highest numbers still in the North of England and the Midlands with London playing catch up. 

The R values for the UK are currently England 1.4, Scotland 1.3 and Wales 1.4. 

The latest figures were based on the data from 6,847 swab tests done between 7 September to 20 September. 

Prevalence figures

The latest prevalence figures estimate that 147,498 people currently have symptomatic COVID in the UK, this figure has more than doubled since last week (69,686), for the second week in a row. This figure does not include long term COVID sufferers. Worryingly, in the North West, numbers have tripled in the last seven days from 12,544 to 36,316 estimated cases. In the North East and Yorkshire numbers have more than doubled from 12,916 to 27,731. This doubling of cases is also seen in London where cases have gone from 9,291 to 18,200 a significant jump in numbers. A full regional breakdown can be found here.

COVID Symptom Study Watch List

The COVID Symptom Study app’s Watch List this week has been extended to include 25 regions of the UK. All 25 regions have seen a huge increase in the number of COVID cases, meaning that all areas are of concern with many like Manchester and Glasgow affecting 1 % of the population. As COVID-19 continues to spread widely across the UK the COVID Symptom Study app Watch List will become less relevant.

5f6dc412b59ded0ad9421ff2_COVID_watch_lis

Tim Spector, Professor of Genetic Epidemiology at King's College London, comments: 

“The number of cases in the UK continues to rise at an alarming rate as we are seeing figures doubling weekly across the country, in particular we are worried about places like London and other major cities like Manchester, Belfast and Glasgow where cases are surging and the R value is around 1.4. 
The government has confirmed that our data from our loyal app users  is playing a critical role and currently providing the most up-to-date figures. This is down to the way our app works, as a survey with millions of data points, we are able to produce data approximately 3 days ahead of the ONS’s household survey. We also have a greater number of positive swab tests, 151 positive tests in two weeks, around three times more than the ONS survey. 
Having more positive swab tests and millions of people logging in everyday builds a clearer picture of what is happening in the different regions. We need as many people as possible logging in  the app right now, the more we have the better our data will be. We are urging people who want to help us track the progress of this second wave to download the app and log for themselves and their families.”
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

We’re going into lockdown from tomorrow. 

Who's we?

I seem to have solved Covid on Twitter. I half-jokingly suggested that we should find out which Coronavirus precipitates good immuno-responses to Covid and a couple of blue ticks have suggested that it could be a good idea and should be studied.

History books in years to come will talk about the hopeless place the world had become, until Broken Monkey saved the day in 142 characters.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I'm classed as extremely vulnerable and was ok (apart from the isolation) during the first lockdown.

My Mrs was was off work with pay because of this, so there was much less of a chance of either of us picking anything up.

The next six months will be very different though because now she has to be in work, and as she works in a school, the risks of catching anything are much higher.

I don't believe the authorities when they say that children don't spread it.

If that was the case, why is it that when a child tests positive, the rest of the class including the teacher have to stay off and isolate for 14 days?.

I agree with you that it's a myth that you can stop vulnerable people getting it, but it's been made a lot more likely that they will.

I'm in the exact same position, classed as extremely vulnerable and the missus is a teacher. We were both working from home during the first lockdown but she's now back at school and has to be power washed before she's even allowed on the drive at the end of each day. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Karl_b said:

I'm in the exact same position, classed as extremely vulnerable and the missus is a teacher. We were both working from home during the first lockdown but she's now back at school and has to be power washed before she's even allowed on the drive at the end of each day. 

Admit it. You enjoy that bit, don’t you...

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Noticed this on the Zoe app before dated today:

Rapid rise in cases takes numbers back to May levels in just 3 weeks

September 25, 2020

According to the latest COVID Symptom Study app figures, there are currently,16,130 daily new symptomatic cases of COVID in the UK on average over the two weeks up to 20 September (excluding care homes). The number of daily new cases continues to climb in the UK, with the highest numbers still in the North of England and the Midlands with London playing catch up. 

The R values for the UK are currently England 1.4, Scotland 1.3 and Wales 1.4. 

The latest figures were based on the data from 6,847 swab tests done between 7 September to 20 September. 

Prevalence figures

The latest prevalence figures estimate that 147,498 people currently have symptomatic COVID in the UK, this figure has more than doubled since last week (69,686), for the second week in a row. This figure does not include long term COVID sufferers. Worryingly, in the North West, numbers have tripled in the last seven days from 12,544 to 36,316 estimated cases. In the North East and Yorkshire numbers have more than doubled from 12,916 to 27,731. This doubling of cases is also seen in London where cases have gone from 9,291 to 18,200 a significant jump in numbers. A full regional breakdown can be found here.

COVID Symptom Study Watch List

The COVID Symptom Study app’s Watch List this week has been extended to include 25 regions of the UK. All 25 regions have seen a huge increase in the number of COVID cases, meaning that all areas are of concern with many like Manchester and Glasgow affecting 1 % of the population. As COVID-19 continues to spread widely across the UK the COVID Symptom Study app Watch List will become less relevant.

5f6dc412b59ded0ad9421ff2_COVID_watch_lis

Tim Spector, Professor of Genetic Epidemiology at King's College London, comments: 

“The number of cases in the UK continues to rise at an alarming rate as we are seeing figures doubling weekly across the country, in particular we are worried about places like London and other major cities like Manchester, Belfast and Glasgow where cases are surging and the R value is around 1.4. 
The government has confirmed that our data from our loyal app users  is playing a critical role and currently providing the most up-to-date figures. This is down to the way our app works, as a survey with millions of data points, we are able to produce data approximately 3 days ahead of the ONS’s household survey. We also have a greater number of positive swab tests, 151 positive tests in two weeks, around three times more than the ONS survey. 
Having more positive swab tests and millions of people logging in everyday builds a clearer picture of what is happening in the different regions. We need as many people as possible logging in  the app right now, the more we have the better our data will be. We are urging people who want to help us track the progress of this second wave to download the app and log for themselves and their families.”

That makes pretty depressing reading. 

14 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

You stay safe. Its easy for the rest of us to pontificate about herd immunity etc but for some people, this is really scary. My mum is 83, very frail and lives alone in a tiny damp council flat in South London. No way she is surviving the winter if this comes back. Anyway take care and hopefully one day we can go back to moaning about Lovren, Keita etc etc. 

My Mum is 78 and has a few conditions one of which requires steroids on a daily basis plus she had a bowel cancer diagnosis 18 months ago, they operated and removed a section of her bowel and reconnected and so far, so good but she's still classed as extremely vulnerable.

She's lucky really, because the same thing killed my Dad, but she's been trapped at home since March and she's lonely.

I worry about her because I think the same as you.

It's an awful situation to be in.

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Thoughts with you both and your mums lads. All you can do is be there 24/7 at the end of a call. Probably a silly question but are they tech savvy enough to use Zoom or anything? or even facetime? 

My Mum uses FaceTime to talk to my Sister in America and my other Sister who lives really close by but she has Lupus so is vulnerable herself.

I have an Android phone and tablet so can't use Facetime, and none of them use WhatsApp.

I'm always at the end of the phone though and if ever or whenever she needs anything, it sorted.

I've got two grown up kids who can pick things up/drop things off and she has really good neighbours.

still makes me feel a bit of a cunt not being able to sit with her though.

I'm sure I'm not the only one in a similar situation though.

Thanks for your thoughts.

How are you feeling now mate anyway?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Harry's Lad said:

My Mum uses FaceTime to talk to my Sister in America and my other Sister who lives really close by but she has Lupus so is vulnerable herself.

I have an Android phone and tablet so can't use Facetime, and none of them use WhatsApp.

I'm always at the end of the phone though and if ever or whenever she needs anything, it sorted.

I've got two grown up kids who can pick things up/drop things off and she has really good neighbours.

still makes me feel a bit of a cunt not being able to sit with her though.

I'm sure I'm not the only one in a similar situation though.

Thanks for your thoughts.

How are you feeling now mate anyway?

That's good, sounds like she has at least got a lot of interaction to be done daily. 

I'm ok at the moment mate. Thanks. 

Looks like a big jump in positivity rates in Mookland

Speaking as the daily increase in cases reached a record high, with 558 Scots testing positive in the past 24 hours

The latest daily coronavirus figures also show a rise in positivity rates - with almost one in 10 (9.5%) of those tested confirmed as having Covid-19.