You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Just now, Fluter in Dakota said:

Wasn't that the reason the numbers came down, especially when there were no rules on masks? Surely you haven't forgotten that already?

The numbers that were coming down before we even went into lockdown, you mean?

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Oh my lord 

I remember distinctly what was happening when we went into a definitive lockdown. It was around March 11th (it was a Wednesday) and I had an email saying that driving tests for the Thursday and Friday of that week were cancelled. I had a girl whose test was that Friday, she was devastated after preparing for it. Then weekend tests were cancelled. Then I carried on working the next week but I knew something was brewing, fortunately I had no more tests that week and one person had just returned from the Inter/AC Milan derby and I wasn't overly concerned as there was still very little public information on what was happening in the UK. I worked my last lesson on Friday 20th March and the numbers compared to Italy were still very low but they were creeping up. The numbers then started to explode over the next few weeks and the lockdown had actually started I'm pretty sure on Monday, 23rd March but by that point driving test centres had shut down. Schools hadn't. Businesses hadn't. Then schools closed, followed by businesses and then it was stay home etc. At that stage the numbers were at their highest. The numbers started to go down after a full lockdown was put in place.

@Stront19m Dog™ may have forgotten but I certainly haven't. Feel free to fact check.

1 minute ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I remember distinctly what was happening when we went into a definitive lockdown. It was around March 11th (it was a Wednesday) and I had an email saying that driving tests for the Thursday and Friday of that week were cancelled. I had a girl whose test was that Friday, she was devastated after preparing for it. Then weekend tests were cancelled. Then I carried on working the next week but I knew something was brewing, fortunately I had no more tests that week and one person had just returned from the Inter/AC Milan derby and I wasn't overly concerned as there was still very little public information on what was happening in the UK. I worked my last lesson on Friday 20th March and the numbers compared to Italy were still very low but they were creeping up. The numbers then started to explode over the next few weeks and the lockdown had actually started I'm pretty sure on Monday, 23rd March but by that point driving test centres had shut down. Schools hadn't. Businesses hadn't. Then schools closed, followed by businesses and then it was stay home etc. At that stage the numbers were at their highest. The numbers started to go down after a full lockdown was put in place.

@Stront19m Dog™ may have forgotten but I certainly haven't.

He's lying again. And he will continue to lie. Thats what liars do. Narcissists will go to many lengths rather than admit to being wrong. 

Just now, Stront19m Dog™ said:

You do realise that people don't die instantly after catching the disease, right?

Yep I am aware of that. Show me figures proving that cases went down before we went into lockdown in the UK. I'll wait. 

Are you suggesting that we shouldn't have gone into lockdown? Are you suggesting that a virus doesn't transmit despite the absolute fact that it has transmitted from person to person otherwise it wouldn't exist? You are aware how  virus works right? 

2 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

You do realise that people don't die instantly after catching the disease, right?

I don't think you are thinking this through at all. If the lockdown was put in place towards the end of March and the peak of deaths was in April, that would mean that the lockdown worked.

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Are you suggesting that we shouldn't have gone into lockdown? Are you suggesting that a virus doesn't transmit despite the absolute fact that it has transmitted from person to person otherwise it wouldn't exist? You are aware how  virus works right? 

Are you just ignoring the numerous times that saturation, antibody immunity and T-cell immunity have been mentioned?

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep I am aware of that. Show me figures proving that cases went down before we went into lockdown in the UK. I'll wait.

Even better, you can work it out yourself.

Peak deaths was reached on April 8th.

Average time from infection to death is 23 days.

The UK went into lockdown on March 23rd.

Now using the above data, determine whether peak infection was before or after March 23rd. 

1 minute ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I don't think you are thinking this through at all. If the lockdown was put in place towards the end of March and the peak of deaths was in April, that would mean that the lockdown worked.

The peak in deaths was inline with the peak being several days before lockdown, not immediately before it.

3 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Even better, you can work it out yourself.

Peak deaths was reached on April 8th.

Average time from infection to death is 23 days.

The UK went into lockdown on March 23rd.

Now using the above data, determine whether peak infection was before or after March 23rd. 

Not everybody died from the virus. 

Why did you ignore my other questions? 

5 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

The peak in deaths was inline with the peak being several days before lockdown, not immediately before it.

So they know the exact timeline of how the virus was effecting people and yet they still couldn't tell their arse from their elbow in handling it?

Just before I stopped working, I was not at all concerned about it. Not one bit. I was working assuming this was just an illness that would pass through. After my working stopped, the numbers of deaths and the pictures on the reliable news services was of hospitals really struggling to cope with it.

The evidence I saw with my own eyes and heard with my own ears (especially being self-employed as no-one was ever going to tell me when to stop as there is no-one to tell me when to stop - I had to make that decision by myself) tells me that the numbers were going up at the start of lockdown. That was around end of March.

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Not everybody died from the virus. 

Why did you ignore my other questions? 

What the hell relevance does "not everybody died" have to do with it? We are talking about deaths here, ie people who actually did die.

Just now, Stront19m Dog™ said:

What the hell relevance does "not everybody died" have to do with it? We are talking about deaths here, ie people who actually did die.

Oh its deaths now. So you have changed your angle. So the peak day for deaths was after lockdown. Sam as the peak day for cases which is contrary to what you stated. 

3 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

So they know the exact timeline of how the virus was effecting people and yet they still couldn't tell their arse from their elbow in handling it?

Just before I stopped working, I was not at all concerned about it. Not one bit. I was working assuming this was just an illness that would pass through. After my working stopped, the numbers of deaths and the pictures on the reliable news services was of hospitals really struggling to cope with it.

The evidence I saw with my own eyes and heard with my own ears (especially being self-employed as no-one was ever going to tell me when to stop as there is no-one to tell me when to stop - I had to make that decision by myself) tells me that the numbers were going up at the start of lockdown. That was around end of March.

So, you're saying lockdown didn't work?

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

So the peak day for 'cases' was April the 5th? 

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/coronavirus/2020/04/coronavirus-peak-deaths-numbers-england-london-north

2 weeks after lockdown. 

I said London. I'm not arguing the point of the whole country having reached peak. I'd suggest Northern Ireland and Scotland amongst other places, still haven't.