You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I said I was still waiting for the VE Day spike. You're the one claiming there was one.

I've been waiting for this second spike for months. I can wait a few hours for your evidence. Cheers.

You are claiming there wasn't one. I'll wait for your evidence to back this up, in the meantime I'll go with yet more hypocrisy and lies from you. 

I don't see the need for so much sniping on this thread to be honest. If people were suspicious this might not turn into such a big deal at the start it's for two reasons - there's form for scareomongering about pandemics that fizzle out, swine flu, SARS, MERS, to a lesser extent the Ebola flare up a few years back for which we were subjected to another Live Aid Concert. 

Secondly, the nature of our media which is focused on clickbait headlines and for which fear sells. It's happening all the time. You'll see a story about a second wave in Beijing or Germany, then nothing about the fact that it's dropped several days later. It's dropped in Leicester too and they're easing lockdown, again, nowhere to be seen on News at 10 last night. 

Italian doctors who've been literally in the trenches in hospitals in the North say that the viral loads are getting much lower and they're dismissed as cranks, stories about Sweden's cases dropping despite never having had a lockdown are barely reported (if it had been the other way around,  there'd be books about it by now - Sweden, a warning from history.) Stories about the virus being remarkably stable making it much easier to vaccinate against are barely reported on. That WHO story I posted above about it having a death rate of 0.6% wasn't on the news this morning, but there was a WHO story about a one-liner from one of the head honchos saying 'we might never find a cure'. 

Wanting to get the facts and see things from both sides doesn't make you hopelessly naive. 

• Upvote 9

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

The Tories have blatantly used this to underhandedly give contracts to their mates and do all the usual Tory behaviours, but ultimately I wouldn't be surprised if the excess deaths in every country come out at quite a similar level. 

What do you mean by "excess" deaths? This government locked down too late despite what was happening in Italy, they then didn't have strict measure on VE day to stop people partying and going the fucking conga in the street. They have fucked up badly on PPE. The UK is an island, it doesn't border other countries. How in the fuck can it have such a high death toll in comparison with the likes of Germany that borders 10 fucking countries !? 

Pair of idiots. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You are claiming there wasn't one. I'll wait for your evidence to back this up, in the meantime I'll go with yet more hypocrisy and lies from you. 

You're the one claiming there was a spike.

_112758308_uk_daily_deaths_with_ra_7jun-

VE Day holiday was May 8th. Feel free to point out where the associated spike is.

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

What do you mean by "excess" deaths? This government locked down too late despite what was happening in Italy, they then didn't have strict measure on VE day to stop people partying and going the fucking conga in the street. They have fucked up badly on PPE. The UK is an island, it doesn't border other countries. How in the fuck can it have such a high death toll in comparison with the likes of Germany that borders 10 fucking countries !? 

Pair of idiots. 

Because we have been hit by it pretty much full on, due to locking down late. Other countries have a lot of people that have still not been exposed to it. As they come out of lockdown, then expect cases to rise. It's happening now in Australia, certain US states, Japan etc. Those countries that have not yet reached saturation.

9 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

You're the one claiming there was a spike.

_112758308_uk_daily_deaths_with_ra_7jun-

VE Day holiday was May 8th. Feel free to point out where the associated spike is.

I don't need to point out a thing to a liar. 

But yeah, if those stats are accurate (which I doubt they are) then my memory of a spike must be wrong. 

Because we have been hit by it pretty much full on, due to locking down late. Other countries have a lot of people that have still not been exposed to it. As they come out of lockdown, then expect cases to rise. It's happening now in Australia, certain US states, Japan etc. Those countries that have not yet reached saturation.

source.gif

• Downvote 1

Can you actually form sentences?

What do you find wrong with what I said? I am agreeing that the government were late to lock down. If we found a silver bullet vaccine now, and could distribute it immediately then we would clearly have more excess deaths than most every other country. That's not the case though and unless everybody in those countries stays in their house until such a time that we do have a silver bullet vaccine, then other countries death rates will likely continue to catch ours.

Just now, Spy Bee said:

Can you actually form sentences?

What do you find wrong with what I said? I am agreeing that the government were late to lock down. If we found a silver bullet vaccine now, and could distribute it immediately then we would clearly have more excess deaths than most every other country. That's not the case though and unless everybody in those countries stays in their house until such a time that we do have a silver bullet vaccine, then other countries death rates will likely continue to catch ours.

Yes I can. 

Wrong with what you said? You are defending the governments reaction then said yourself that we suffered due to them locking down late. I can see you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed but surely even you can see the hypocrisy there. 

Just now, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Stig is counting his Grand National winnings after his horse jumps the third fence in first place.

Funny. Remember when you rang Spy Bee's mum at work to get him sacked over him negging you on here? Now that's 'embarrassing'. Snidey little tory grass. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yes I can. 

Wrong with what you said? You are defending the governments reaction then said yourself that we suffered due to them locking down late. I can see you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed but surely even you can see the hypocrisy there. 

Where have I defended the government's actions?

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Funny. Remember when you rang Spy Bee's mum at work to get him sacked over him negging you on here? Now that's 'embarrassing'. Snidey little tory grass. 

No, I don't remember something that didn't happen.

Any evidence for the VE Day spike yet? I can wait.

8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

That purposefully obtuse. Why even go down that avenue? We have loads of reports of T Cell Responses providing a level of immunity. We have reports of immunity by antibody, and reports that antibody tests won't show all antibody immunity. Why pretend that this has never been discussed? Why just ignore it in order to try and land a cheap shot?

Why? We have opened up gradually and quite sensibly, and deaths have fallen, ICU patient numbers have fallen, hospital admissions have fallen, positive tests have fallen, before plateauing - although it could easily be argued that this is due to targeted testing and more non-serious cases being discovered.  

Nobody is claiming it is binary, in fact, it's pretty clear that it's a sliding scale and that people making this argument are saying it should not be protection against Covid at the expense of everything else.

You don’t make decisions based on reports and papers that haven’t been peer reviewed. Maybe some people do have T-cell immunity, but until there is conclusive proof that is the case you have to act like they haven’t. 

It’s clear there is a considerable lag between opening up and infections starting to rise and that then translating at an even later date into hospitalisation and deaths. I’ve posted stuff before on the States that have seen rises in the US, most started opening up in April/early May and had rises starting towards the end of June.

Some of those states like California had a sizeable amount of cases before they locked down and have a sizeable amount now. People always say it hasn’t spiked again in New York but how long have they been out of lockdown? What restrictions have been lifted and what is still in place there? They’ve been hit hard there and people are following the guidance a lot more than the inbreds in the south (sorry Howie) who won’t wear masks or stay indoors. 

In addition, I don’t think every lockdown restriction that has been eased will bring a rise. Stuff outdoors like people going to beaches seems pretty safe to me. I’ve said before on here I didn’t buy all the stuff about a spike from VE Day and that. A few streets doing the Conga outdoors isn’t going to be a big problem. 

Opening up factories and offices, more people using public transport and meeting in homes will be the big driver of a spike in my opinion and a lot of these places haven’t been open that long. My brother works in Jag and he’s been back less than a month and is now on shutdown until the end of August. 

Also, with regards to deaths they were always going to come down as the most vulnerable have been shielding. Now that has stopped and they are going back to work and other places the death rate may rise, but if it does it’s going to take a while. People don’t die from this straight away. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

No, I don't remember something that didn't happen.

Any evidence for the VE Day spike yet? I can wait.

It did. I remember the day well. More lies? You cant help yourself. Spy Bee sent me the PM's on the day telling me. Unless you are calling him a liar? 

Read up, I have said I'm happy to concede that we may not have seen a VE day spike. You know, accepting being wrong. The conga was still an inconsiderate risk and an act of selfishness. 

California has 241 deaths per million as things stand. That's really quite low. The USA as a whole has 480, and the country as a whole is not close to the possible saturation level.

I think your memory is bad Stig. He posted something on our social media, he didn't ring my mother.

California has 241 deaths per million as things stand. That's really quite low. The USA as a whole has 480, and the country as a whole is not close to the possible saturation level.

I think your memory is bad Stig. He posted something on our social media, he didn't ring my mother.

It's a shitty thing to be happening but governments have reacted differently and the stats back that up. 

Oh my mistake, I thought it was a phone call. Apologies. That is just as bad. Proper snide behaviour that. To have the front to keep posting on here after that is outrageous. 

Sixth consecutive week of deaths being below the five-year average.

2.4% of deaths registered in week 30 mention Covid-19 on the certificate.

Flu and pneumonia are presently killing five and a half times as many people as coronavirus.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, sh#t waffle said:

Errr, what?!

Sorry he didn't ring her. He posted on their social media about him. 

But, I realise I've been posting whilst emotional this morning and am likely being an argumentative cunt. 

45 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Even by the standards of the Covid Chicken Lickens that's mighty nonsense.

The common cold is unstoppable. It's also nothing to worry about. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

The virus is nothing to worry about for the overwhelming majority of people. Even the WHO are now admitting the death rate is only 0.6% (and the implied fatality rates I've seen suggest it's even lower than that). Even if everyone in the UK got infected - a statistical impossibility - that's only 200,000 deaths. Do I really need to bump all the old predictions of 500,000 DEAD UNLESS WE LOCK DOWN NOW!!!!11

I said I was still waiting for the VE Day spike. You're the one claiming there was one.

I've been waiting for this second spike for months. I can wait a few hours for your evidence. Cheers.

Mate, if everybody in the UK got infected, circa 67 million people, at a death rate of 0.6% then we looking at about 400 thousand people.

You know as well as I do that the NHS would collapse having to deal with that sort of catastrophe.

For all their incompetence the Government have done a reasonable job limiting it to just 65 thousand so far

The numbers indicate, to me, that 15 - 20% of the UK population has been infected so far... we have a long way to go if a vaccine isn't forthcoming

• Upvote 1