You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

On 17/07/2020 at 13:20, Spy Bee said:

Because of saturation (or herd immunity if you prefer that term). 

There are less than 2000 people in hospital in England now. We are identifying loads of asymptomatic cases, that we previously wouldn't have identified. If you don't think this is fizzling out, you really haven't looked at the data. Is there still a risk to an 80 year old with hypertension? Yes. Is there a serious risk to your average 25 year old - no. Life always has risks, and in the UK Coronavirus for a healthy person is now a very small risk.

I'm off to Spain next week. My mate says that apart from some social distancing, life is pretty much back to normal over there, only you have to wear a mask in the supermarket & you can't sit at the bar.

5 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Didn't @Spy Bee say he was going on holiday to Spain? 

18 minutes ago, Anubis said:

He’s getting married abroad in September, isn’t he? Can’t remember where though.

Think he said he’s getting married in Britain now but he might be in Spain at the minute. 

On 17/07/2020 at 13:20, Spy Bee said:

I'm off to Spain next week. My mate says that apart from some social distancing, life is pretty much back to normal over there, only you have to wear a mask in the supermarket & you can't sit at the bar.

4 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Think he said he’s getting married in Britain now but he might be in Spain at the minute. 

Apparently so.

11 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Looks like cases are rising all over the shop, including Belgium and Greece. Maybe some people were right that the lockdown only delayed the inevitable and it's just gonna go through the population whether we like it or not. A virus gonna viral.

This may be the case but as the virus continues to circulate it should start to become less potent as viruses mutate to ensure their host survives more effectively. Also as the treatment options get better this should enable the NHS/healthcare systems to better deal with an influx of new cases- dexamethazone, remdesivir, convalescent plasma, IVIG, vitamin c/d high dosage IVs, anticoagulants, Tociluzimab to block the Cytokine storm etc. Re-organisation of services should also allow for reduced infection rates within hospitals and therefore limit the spread of the disease, leading to less of a peak and therefore potential collapse of services as occurred in Bergamo and some hospitals in Madrid.

We'll have to see what happens with the second spike, or whether we can flatten it to a low rolling hill.

I find the contrast between England and the other nations in the UK and Ireland interesting, England seems to be going for an 'acceptable' background case rate while the other nations are aiming to quash it all together and then use contact tracing to get on-top of local outbreaks.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Excess deaths fall for the fifth week in a row; number of deaths in week 29 was 3% below the 5-year average.

Thats great news. We need some respite seeing as 657,000 worldwide have died due to this virus. 

• Upvote 1

I have a trip booked to go to Amsterdam for a couple of nights at the end of next month, all booked and paid for. I have zero interest in going, not least because of the way my feelings about what has happened have been so markedly different from ‘others in the party’, shall we say. I realise as I’m writing this that I haven’t actually seen any of them, apart from my one friend who is definitely not going, since March. Confession time coming up 

10 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Didn't @Spy Bee say he was going on holiday to Spain? 

Didn't he also say that Covid was created by shape shifting lizards who were also responsible for Aids and the Moon Landings?

He'll be ok, though, as we're all getting immunity now and even if we weren't then catching it is akin to a gentle Spring shower and fluffy blankets

• Upvote 1

The blonde haired cretin is on the news saying the government intends acting ‘swiftly and decisively’ now there are signs of a second wave in mainland Europe.

Showing that they’ve learned their lesson, or attempting to change the narrative that will enable them to point to science led action based on a greater understanding of the virus than they claim to have had in Feb/March?

I’ve just enjoyed a nice packet of crisps so I’ll be generous and say it’s probably a bit of both. 

5 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Imagine the circle of people this cunt is mixing with if he’s in a minority thinking everyone should wear a seat belt. 

Oh. My. Word. What a fucking cunt. I don’t think I’ve ever felt more negative feelings on watching someone speak for that short a space of time and first time seeing them. 

I’m not even going to attempt any form of airing or explaining my thoughts to that. Fuck me, what a cunt. Fucking hell.

• Upvote 1

I have been told by multiple civil servants that #Brexit is the reason No10 has U turned on the #SpainQuarantine rule to include the #BalearicIslands & #CanaryIslands to strengthen the UK's negotiation hand!, I will be open to this rumour when France & Germany are targeted.

Guest Pistonbroke

Lot of arguments in the Government over here about who should pay the costs for those people who need to be tested after returning from a holiday in a risk area. The health minister for our region has said that anybody who has booked a holiday after things have kicked off should be aware of the risks and foot the bill themselves as have others including the FDP Chairman Christian Lindner. 

42 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

More birds have deffo been eying me up since i started covering my face. Seems the cosmos has found yet another way to backheel me in the sweetbreads.

So that's why outlaws had a girl in every settlement in the wild west. 

57 minutes ago, belarus said:

Oh. My. Word. What a fucking cunt. I don’t think I’ve ever felt more negative feelings on watching someone speak for that short a space of time and first time seeing them. 

I’m not even going to attempt any form of airing or explaining my thoughts to that. Fuck me, what a cunt. Fucking hell.

Next thing we'll learn is he posts on here. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

More birds have deffo been eying me up since i started covering my face. Seems the cosmos has found yet another way to backheel me in the sweetbreads.

Funnily enough since I started wearing my new mask I’ve been getting the eye quite a bit 

71kOur3hTAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Upvote 3

Uh-oh...

The American Federation of Teachers (AFT), the nation’s second-largest teachers union, said it will back members to go on strike because of unsafe working conditions in schools.

The AFT said striking should be a “last resort” but demanded several safeguards before schools fully reopen.

The safeguards, according to the union should include: comprehensive contact tracing in areas where classes resume, mandatory masking and updated ventilation systems in facilities