You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

Aah right, got to be honest I won't be wearing one outside, inside fair do's!

Out of interest, why not?

I'm really not getting the big issue with wearing a mask. Especially in a country that doesn't have stifling heat. 

Is it a political reason? Or you just don't like/can't be bothered to wear one?

19 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Out of interest, why not?

I'm really not getting the big issue with wearing a mask. Especially in a country that doesn't have stifling heat. 

Is it a political reason? Or you just don't like/can't be bothered to wear one?

I genuinely don't see the benefit, certainly not this far in to the pandemic of wearing one outside, I just feel the likelihood of transmission is ridiculously low! If it was airborne we'd be well fucked by now anyway!

I think it's too far down the line indoors too to be honest, but if it helps stifle a second wave, fair do's!

Each to their own, you think wearing one outside will help, go for it! If they find proof that wearing a mask outside could help stifle a second wave and make it compulsory, cool I'm in.

23 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If they had just said wearing a mask will help to protect you it wouldn't be an issue.

Once the message became about helping others around you it was doomed. Not many really give a shit about others.

The opposite for me to be honest, I'd happily wear one to prevent a second wave, couldn't give a fuck about myself.

I'll be honest, I find any sort of face covering uncomfortable, even a scarf in winter, it has to be pretty fucking cold for me to keep a scarf round my face! It doesn't help that my glasses always steam up when I wear a face covering too!

34 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I genuinely don't see the benefit, certainly not this far in to the pandemic of wearing one outside, I just feel the likelihood of transmission is ridiculously low! If it was airborne we'd be well fucked by now anyway!

I think it's too far down the line indoors too to be honest, but if it helps stifle a second wave, fair do's!

Each to their own, you think wearing one outside will help, go for it! If they find proof that wearing a mask outside could help stifle a second wave and make it compulsory, cool I'm in.

Well, I have to wear one everywhere outside as it's compulsory again now (decision by regional government to help avoid a second wave/spike). I support the decision because I don't think everyone would be responsible if the decision was their own. Most would, as they would everywhere I'm guessing, but it only takes a small percentage to not to fuck things up. And also to create division, and remove responsibility from the government (the two aims of the Tories).

Before the latest move to make them compulsory everywhere again they were just compulsory in shops, transport, areas outside with lots of people, etc. That was probably the best balance but I can understand why a government, that actually wants to solve the problem, would choose an approach that is enforceable and possible to police. 

All of the messaging in the UK seems to have been done deliberately to make things as bad as possible, and pass the buck. 

Polls suggest a large percentage of the population supports wearing a mask. Some in government say "Meh, do what you think is best". Others say "Dunno if they even work". Hardly surprising when the result is that lots don't bother. Despite still having one of the worst covid situations in Europe, people have been encouraged more than elsewhere to think it's not a problem any more. 

And it's not as if it has even worked economically. It appears as if the recovery in the UK is slower than expected.

46 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Visit Japan. You can thank me later.

2 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

A place that fascinates me, I'd love to go if I had the cash.

Their history is an easy match for Britain's, maybe more fascinating. The teachings of the Hagakure have helped me immensely through troubled waters.

My sister in law is a classroom assistant. Her and the other staff have been told that in order to fit in normal class sizes next academic year the pupils will be sat two to a desk facing forward towards the teacher. Pupils will be instructed not to look towards or turn their heads towards their desk mate, or talk to them, and to face forward at all times.

Yeah, good luck with that.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Inside. A few months ago i'd say it was about 50/50. Now its nowhere that. There is definitely a feeling that the virus is over in this country. 

I don't think this is helped by how relaxed the big supermarkets have got. All of the social distancing efforts have all but been thrown out of the window. The 1 way stuff, someone by the door to sanitise the handle on your trolley, the socially distanced queuing for the tills. 

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

If they had just said wearing a mask will help to protect you it wouldn't be an issue.

Once the message became about helping others around you it was doomed. Not many really give a shit about others.

Very true that. Throughout the pandemic even the nutters seemed to think that choosing to go out was to do with bravery and not to do with suppressing the disease and halting the spread. It was all about what it could do to them and never others. 

3 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

The benefit is as we relax lockdown and social distancing protocols we need to mitigate some of the increased risk of spreading the disease. One of those mitigation actions is wear a mask. So more places are open, but perhaps when you're at these places you need to trade it off by wearing a mask. If all our behaviours return to completely as before, we'll be back to march in a fortnight. But we're supposed to be wearing masks in supermarkets and trains, tracing positive cases and their contacts (yes I know it's shit, but it's still better than none), distancing in pubs, still not going to football, still maintaining some form of distancing - where even though 2m is infinitely better than 1m, 1m is infinitely better than before. They key here is if the actions keep the R rate under 1, we will eventually irradiate the virus. 

So while things are better than before, if we want to beat this virus, we still can't just go back to before and each of these steps will help. 

27 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I don't think this is helped by how relaxed the big supermarkets have got. All of the social distancing efforts have all but been thrown out of the window. The 1 way stuff, someone by the door to sanitise the handle on your trolley, the socially distanced queuing for the tills. 

Very true that. Throughout the pandemic even the nutters seemed to think that choosing to go out was to do with bravery and not to do with suppressing the disease and halting the spread. It was all about what it could do to them and never others. 

The benefit is as we relax lockdown and social distancing protocols we need to mitigate some of the increased risk of spreading the disease. One of those mitigation actions is wear a mask. So more places are open, but perhaps when you're at these places you need to trade it off by wearing a mask. If all our behaviours return to completely as before, we'll be back to march in a fortnight. But we're supposed to be wearing masks in supermarkets and trains, tracing positive cases and their contacts (yes I know it's shit, but it's still better than none), distancing in pubs, still not going to football, still maintaining some form of distancing - where even though 2m is infinitely better than 1m, 1m is infinitely better than before. They key here is if the actions keep the R rate under 1, we will eventually irradiate the virus. 

So while things are better than before, if we want to beat this virus, we still can't just go back to before and each of these steps will help. 

My point was about outside areas mate, if that will help keep the R rate down as well as wearing them inside, why isn't it being recommended? Is it being recommended outside the UK?

43 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

My point was about outside areas mate, if that will help keep the R rate down as well as wearing them inside, why isn't it being recommended? Is it being recommended outside the UK?

Sorry I thought you meant inside. Outside I guess it depends a bit doesn't it and where you are. I'm sure if you were somewhere where there's not social distancing as we've seen at some of the demos or when we and Leeds won the league, it would be helpful. If you're walking alone in the park, it won't make any difference. But I do think wearing the mask makes you conscious of doing other things right. It's a reminder to distance, to be careful of what you touch on public transport, to keep your cleanliness high. I realise that won't make a difference for everyone, but I'm sure it would improve behaviours for most people just because of that prompted. 

Nice to see that the Govt have used the recent claims that death reporting being allegedly unreliable means they don't have to release the stats anymore. What are the odds that they can no long quite get to the true stats so they can't release them from this day forward?

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

Sorry I thought you meant inside. Outside I guess it depends a bit doesn't it and where you are. I'm sure if you were somewhere where there's not social distancing as we've seen at some of the demos or when we and Leeds won the league, it would be helpful. If you're walking alone in the park, it won't make any difference. But I do think wearing the mask makes you conscious of doing other things right. It's a reminder to distance, to be careful of what you touch on public transport, to keep your cleanliness high. I realise that won't make a difference for everyone, but I'm sure it would improve behaviours for most people just because of that prompted. 

To be fair, I'm still being allowed to work from so most of the times I leave the house it's only to walk the dog! I think if I wore a mask to do that the dog would pretend she wasn't with me!

• Upvote 1

This looks promising- https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-experimental-drug-prevents-79-of-covid-19-cases-progressing-in-trial-12032221 - although it's a little short on details:-

Coronavirus: Trial shows experimental drug prevents 79% of COVID-19 cases from progressing
The inhaled drug can already help asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients with other lung infections.
Alexander J Martin, technology reporter

Researchers trialling an experimental drug on critically ill coronavirus patients say it prevented their disease from progressing in 79% of cases.

The experimental drug known as SNG001 is an inhaled formulation of beta-interferon developed by the pharmaceutical company Synairgen and was given to patients in hospital with COVID-19 who needed oxygen assistance.

Although the treatment had already been shown to improve the recovery of asthma and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) patients who had other lung infections, such as flu, it was not known if it would help coronavirus patients.

The trial was conducted on a double-blind and placebo-controlled basis meaning neither the researchers nor the patients knew whether they were receiving SNG001 or a placebo.

Patients who received SNG001 were also more than twice as likely to recover over the course of the treatment period, meaning they suffered no limitations on their normal activities, than those on the placebo.

Three people who took part in the trial died after being randomly assigned to the placebo, Synairgen confirmed. There were no deaths among those patients treated with SNG001.

The drug is an inhaled formulation of beta-interferon which a naturally occurring protein that orchestrates the body's anti-viral responses, and is also used to treat the auto-immune disease Multiple Sclerosis.

• Upvote 1

So today is my 1st working day since a little before lockdown. I'm self employed and everything has been quiet and just wasn't worth chasing. So I've got some days in London this week, I should be able to do plenty of this work from home, but some of it needs to be on-site. So I was on the train - no real surprise on that, just 3 or 4 people. But the underground quite surprised me. I know it's quiet down here with lots of people maybe working from home till Christmas, but I've never seen it so quiet, no matter what time of the day or night. There were only 2 other people in my carriage from euston to the city and now I'm here there's barely a soul - and those workers I do see are mostly from the building sites. I'm just in a big pret now having a coffee and I'm the only one here and loads of places that would normally be open are shut, both in the city, Euston and lime Street. 

In terms of masks, everyone across public transport both on the underground and my mainline train have had masks on. But as soon as people are in the open, they're understandably taking them off. It's amazing how people who've needed to wear ppe through this crisis have dealt with it. I've had mine on since just before 5.30 and I've hated every fucking second. 

All in all its a real wake up call of how little people are out there and how lockdown is really still in effect. I can almost understand the absolute panic those Tory cunts are in. 

• Upvote 1