You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Also, you have asked for people to go with the science. You questioned it the other day regarding face-masks. Glad to see you are wearing one like you said yesterday SD but still, you think you know better than the actual experts. You don't. 

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Currently Infected Patients

5,020,424 (99%)

in Mild Condition

Very informative, thanks.

Do you realise how much of an arrogant smart cunt you come across with things like that? Its easy for you not to know anyone who has it given that you live in in-bredville with about 12 people around you but the nonchalant way you act around this (which is blatantly to not look like you were so baldy wrong all those months ago - I see you) is thick and fucking disgusting. 

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

I've never questioned the science around face masks.

Scientific advice is telling us to wear face masks and pretty much has been from the off. Are you telling me you haven't dismissed this like it wouldn't have a positive impact? 

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Scientific advice is telling us to wear face masks and pretty much has been from the off.

That is some historical revisionism right there. Scientists have been, and continue to be, divided on the benefits.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/04/scientists-disagree-over-face-masks-effect-on-covid-19

Dr Simon Clarke, associate professor in cellular microbiology at the University of Reading, said the report “falls short of delivering new evidence and too casually dismisses precautionary principle when addressing the possibility that masks and coverings could have negative effects on people’s behaviours”

Dr Ben Killingley, consultant in acute medicine and infectious diseases at University College London hospital, was also critical.

“The report is overly optimistic about the value of face coverings and it is incorrect to conclude that the evidence shows that face covering can reduce viral transmission in the community,” he said. “There is in fact no good evidence that face coverings achieve this.”

Killingley added that the report largely ignored real-world data, which suggests low effectiveness, albeit for protection of the wearer.

Dr Antonio Lazzarino of the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health at University College London, agreed.

“That is not a piece or research. That is a non-systematic review of anecdotical and non-clinical studies,” he said.

“The evidence we need before we implement public interventions involving billions of people, must come ideally from randomised controlled trials at population level or at least from observational follow-up studies with comparison groups,” said Lazzarino noting that will allow experts to look at the pros and cons of wearing masks.

“Based on what we now know about the dynamics of transmission and the pathophysiology of Covid-19, the negative effects of wearing masks outweigh the positive,” he said.

etc

27 minutes ago, Mudface said:

But why would the UK be significantly different to anywhere else? Even if it was, it's not exactly fizzling out, we're still getting at least 4000 new infections per week, and possibly 15000 if the estimates from that Zoe app are accurate. Plus an estimated 26K people currently have symptomatic CV-19, never mind the asymptomatic cases.

The disease was brought under some control by lockdown and it took 3 months to get it back down to the levels we saw towards the end of March. It hasn't magically disappeared, and as other countries have shown unless we're really careful it could come back with a bang.

Because of saturation (or herd immunity if you prefer that term). 

There are less than 2000 people in hospital in England now. We are identifying loads of asymptomatic cases, that we previously wouldn't have identified. If you don't think this is fizzling out, you really haven't looked at the data. Is there still a risk to an 80 year old with hypertension? Yes. Is there a serious risk to your average 25 year old - no. Life always has risks, and in the UK Coronavirus for a healthy person is now a very small risk.

I'm off to Spain next week. My mate says that apart from some social distancing, life is pretty much back to normal over there, only you have to wear a mask in the supermarket & you can't sit at the bar.

You may remember our boy Chuck Woolery:

Woolery made news late Sunday when President Donald Trump retweeted Woolery saying everyone is lying about Covid-19.
"The most outrageous lies are the ones about Covid 19. Everyone is lying," Woolery said in that tweet.

"The CDC, Media, Democrats, our Doctors, not all but most, that we are told to trust. I think it's all about the election and keeping the economy from coming back, which is about the election. I'm sick of it," his tweet said.

Woolery deactivated his Twitter account Wednesday, Young said.

In his last posted tweet, Woolery said, "Covid-19 is real and it is here."
"My son tested positive for the virus, and I feel for those suffering and especially for those who have lost loved ones," Woolery said in a tweet on Monday morning, which still lives in the cache of digital archive sites.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

You’ve got it completely right about Christmas, because it’s all it’s not only a very important time of year for the families, it’s also a very important time of year for the UK economy

That swift and uncomfortable segue is about the most Tory thing over ever heard. Actually, the fact that he doesn’t give a single fuck or attempt to hide his utter disdain for humanity at the expense of monetary gain actually makes me like him a bit more. I now only utterly detest his every fibre. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Spy Bee said:

I'm off to Spain next week. My mate says that apart from some social distancing, life is pretty much back to normal over there, only you have to wear a mask in the supermarket & you can't sit at the bar.

That and the couple hundred thousand Catalans back in lockdown.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

That and the couple hundred thousand Catalans back in lockdown.

Yeah, last time I looked (a couple of weeks ago when I heard some snooty ex-pat crowing about how great Spain dealt with the crisis) Spain were doing terrible in current active cases and number of infected as percentage of the population. 

32 minutes ago, Mudface said:

But why would the UK be significantly different to anywhere else? Even if it was, it's not exactly fizzling out, we're still getting at least 4000 new infections per week, and possibly 15000 if the estimates from that Zoe app are accurate. Plus an estimated 26K people currently have symptomatic CV-19, never mind the asymptomatic cases.

The disease was brought under some control by lockdown and it took 3 months to get it back down to the levels we saw towards the end of March. It hasn't magically disappeared, and as other countries have shown unless we're really careful it could come back with a bang.

Have you never heard of British exceptionalism?  Why cant you just believe?

So the onus is on business, supported by often misunderstood guidelines, to decide whether they should bring their employees back into the workplace.

This at a time when many businesses are under serious pressure to simply survive.

Let’s hope there aren’t any unscrupulous businesses out there who will now pass on that pressure to their people, forcing them back into workplaces that aren’t safe and banking on the checks supposedly in place  to stop this working about as well as track and trace etc.

16 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

That is some historical revisionism right there. Scientists have been, and continue to be, divided on the benefits.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/04/scientists-disagree-over-face-masks-effect-on-covid-19

etc

A man who uses the Jewish Chronicle as a source of fact accusing someone else of historical revisionism. I've seen it all. Fuck. Me. 

Just greatly amused.

I'm pretty sure I've never treated any organ as if it was gospel truth, not even the JC.

Scepticism is a healthy trait, and I encourage people to apply it to all utterances, especially those issued by an authority.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Just greatly amused.

I'm pretty sure I've never treated any organ as if it was gospel truth, not even the JC.

Scepticism is a healthy trait, and I encourage people to apply it to all utterances, especially those issued by an authority.

I don't believe that. Not one bit. Mind you, the JC got hammered for being caught out lying. Again. So you have things in common. 

Scepticism is healthy. I agree 100% Strontz. Actively being contrary so you don't get shown up for chatting out your arse isn't. 

26 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Because of saturation (or herd immunity if you prefer that term). 

There are less than 2000 people in hospital in England now. We are identifying loads of asymptomatic cases, that we previously wouldn't have identified. If you don't think this is fizzling out, you really haven't looked at the data. Is there still a risk to an 80 year old with hypertension? Yes. Is there a serious risk to your average 25 year old - no. Life always has risks, and in the UK Coronavirus for a healthy person is now a very small risk.

Nah, I'm going for Occam's Razor on this one. We locked down, reduced cases and (belatedly) protected the more vulnerable. That seems to me to be a far more obvious reason for the reduction in hospitalisations and cases than the 'everyone's had it'/ 'most people are immune' stuff that's been floating around since it started.

As for data, the US has had nearly 3 times more infections per capita than the UK and is still setting record daily figures. There are around 1500-2000 hospitalisations a day there. Why isn't there a similar herd immunity effect there?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Regional spikes are always going to be expected until it's eradicated.

I guess, a little flare up:

1,293 new cases have been recorded in Catalonia in the past 24 hours, a figure similar to that recorded in March at the height of the pandemic. In the course of a week the number of cases in Barcelona has tripled.

Anyway, enjoy the trip. Wear a mask.