You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Hope for the worst and plan for the best.

I hope that's a deliberate wrong way round mistake, like buy high sell low. 

From Johnson's conference-

Q: How optimistic are you that families will be able to spend Christmas together?

Johnson says:

You’ve got it completely right about Christmas, because it’s all it’s not only a very important time of year for the families, it’s also a very important time of year for the UK economy and, and for many many millions of people working in all kinds of sectors. It is important that we hope for the best. But plan for the worst.

Q: How can you restore confidence in government?

In the end, the real secret is the common sense and the collective action of the British people

Reading between the lines, we're fucked forever.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I am genuinely astonished. Are you in a virus hotspot?

We know loads of people in the NHS  down in London which probably accounts for half . Either that or we are super spreaders ! To be fair the cases I know off are not all tested and confirmed but for example my lad had all the symptoms and self isolated and felt pretty shit for a couple of days. A very close mate and his lad did the same with his Mrs leaving all their food on trays outside their bedrooms. She was smart and managed to stay clear of it.

Other end of the spectrum was a friend of my Mrs who spent 10 days in an induced coma . He recovered but is not right. Another of her mates husband is bed-ridden with lungs shot to pieces after being in intensive care for weeks.

The amount of cases tested and reported are the tip of the iceberg and many people are going to have debilitating conditions for years as a result . No faith in the shite Hancock spoon feeds us, 

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Because health professionals have been focusing on coronavirus to the exclusion of everything else. The NHS has been an absolute shell of a health service for the past 3-4 months.

I literally know nobody who's had covid, let alone died from it. However I do know several people who have been fobbed off over cancer treatment, one of whom has sadly died.

My dad has cancer and is undergoing Chemo just fine

I've known several people who've had Covid including myself and one of my best mates has died from it, He was 41

I don't get your reluctance to deal with Covid at all. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, mattyq said:

My dad has cancer and is undergoing Chemo just fine

I've known several people who've had Covid including myself and one of my best mates has died from it, He was 41

I don't get your reluctance to deal with Covid at all. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt

I don't know what you mean by reluctance to deal with it.

It's clear a lot of people have been affected by the virus. I am just keen we don't neglect people with other health concerns.

This could explain why the virus is fizzling out faster than an Ars*n*l title challenge.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-herd-immunity-second-wave-oxford-study-boris-johnson-a9623791.html

Levels of herd immunity within the UK may already be high enough to prevent a second wave of coronavirus, a new study by Oxford University scientists suggests.

The researchers posit that some of the population may already have a high level of immunity to Covid-19 without ever having caught it.

In a paper yet to be peer-reviewed, they point to evidence suggesting exposure to seasonal coronaviruses, such as the common cold, may have already provided some with a degree of immunity, and note that others may be more naturally resistant to infection.

Modelling how differing levels of pre-existing immunity between individuals could affect the overall “threshold” needed to prevent a resurgence of the virus, they found that this could be as low as 20 per cent.

“It is widely believed that the herd immunity threshold (HIT) required to prevent a resurgence of SARS-CoV-2 is in excess of 50 per cent for any epidemiological setting,” wrote Jose Lourenco, Francesco Pinotti, Craig Thompson, and Sunetra Gupta, all of Oxford University.

“Here, we demonstrate that HIT may be greatly reduced if a fraction of the population is unable to transmit the virus due to innate resistance or cross-protection from exposure to seasonal coronaviruses.”

They added: “These results help to explain the large degree of regional variation observed in seroprevalence and cumulative deaths and suggest that sufficient herd immunity may already be in place to substantially mitigate a potential second wave.”

Calculations along a similar line by Gabriela Gomes, a professor of mathematics and statistics at Strathclyde University, have also placed the threshold needed for herd immunity at below 20 per cent.

For diseases where a vaccine is available, herd immunity is often calculated with the assumption that everybody has the same level of immunity – known as a homogenous model.

But, as with the Oxford researchers, Dr Gomes has been studying what are known as heterogeneous models – which operate on the basis that there are vastly differing levels of immunity within the population.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

This could explain why the virus is fizzling out faster than an Ars*n*l title challenge.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-herd-immunity-second-wave-oxford-study-boris-johnson-a9623791.html

Fizzling out? It's been dampened down in countries that have locked down for a few months, but the ones that didn't or came out too early have seen it come roaring back. The US are recording record numbers of new infections per day, and India and Africa look to be the next epicentres.

Just now, Mudface said:

Fizzling out? It's been dampened down in countries that have locked down for a few months, but the ones that didn't or came out too early have seen it come roaring back. The US are recording record numbers of new infections per day, and India and Africa look to be the next epicentres.

Sssshhh.... you can't speak facts. The whole thing is embarrassing and not as bad as the mild flu. Everyone is hysterical. Don't wear a flimsy bit of nylon to potentially save some lives. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

On the contrary, I wish more people would. They could start by supporting their opinions with science.

That selective reading again. Thought you had improved as a human. Clearly not. 

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

I needed a scan after I found a lump about two weeks ago, had my appointment through the post two days after I phoned my GP and had the scan six days after that. 

Our local health centre has a single GP where once it had four. They're not actually seeing any patients, so you ring up for a telephone consultation, for which you have to wait about a week. If you miss their call on the appointed day? Unlucky, you now have to wait another week.

24 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

In the UK. It's a UK study.

But why would the UK be significantly different to anywhere else? Even if it was, it's not exactly fizzling out, we're still getting at least 4000 new infections per week, and possibly 15000 if the estimates from that Zoe app are accurate. Plus an estimated 26K people currently have symptomatic CV-19, never mind the asymptomatic cases.

The disease was brought under some control by lockdown and it took 3 months to get it back down to the levels we saw towards the end of March. It hasn't magically disappeared, and as other countries have shown unless we're really careful it could come back with a bang.

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Our local health centre has a single GP where once it had four. They're not actually seeing any patients, so you ring up for a telephone consultation, for which you have to wait about a week. If you miss their call on the appointed day? Unlucky, you now have to wait another week.

Where have the other 3 gone? And as for the rest, thats pretty standard for most places in normal times.