You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I reckon "shopping for pleasure" is gonna be a thing of the past for a while. I'll wear a mask if I have to to get essentials but not to go to town or something looking at jeans to kill an afternoon. Horendous.

I don't much like shopping anyway, but there's no way I'm going now. I don't quite understand it, you can't even try stuff on can you? Might as well just order online. I think we're in a pretty dire situation at the moment for retail and services focussed office workers etc - Sandwich shops and that kind of thing. I was in the pub yesterday and it was fucking shite, again I'm not really inclined to be rushing back. I can feel a lot of redundancies coming and I can't help think there will be inflation in these sectors or they'll close. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Face masks in shops will not be mandatory in England, Gove suggests

Now that is some stupid shit.

Genuinely odd.

The only reason I can see is that one of Dom's focus groups raised a concern about seeing masks in shops and that might put them off spending if they are compulsory, but that's all I got, there's no other reasons for the constant mixed messages unless it's deliberate, which is deploable.

14 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Genuinely odd.

The only reason I can see is that one of Dom's focus groups raised a concern about seeing masks in shops and that might put them off spending if they are compulsory, but that's all I got, there's no other reasons for the constant mixed messages unless it's deliberate, which is deploable.

I think the right have been banging on about civil liberties and all that and how it should be a choice. 

32 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I think the right have been banging on about civil liberties and all that and how it should be a choice. 

13 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I knew the American numpties were at it, didn't realise stupidity had crossed the pond.

Masks are mandatory in all public spaces here mate

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Masks are mandatory in all public spaces here mate

Yeah, I know that, but I was refering to the idiots flouting the rules claiming that it was an infringement of their constitutional rights.

Didn't realise there was a backlash in the UK, must have passed me by.

22 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Come on over to Disneyland -- it's fun.

Think India is next to come unglued - that could get ugly.

India, especially in the cities, villages less so, was bound to lose control even though they went into lockdown early. Multi-generational households and cramped, overpopulated slums were always going to be an issue at some point.

5 minutes ago, skend04 said:

India, especially in the cities, villages less so, was bound to lose control even though they went into lockdown early. Multi-generational households and cramped, overpopulated slums were always going to be an issue at some point.

Yea, no way around population density with this.

Do you think the infrastructure is in place to handle it?

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, no way around population density with this.

Do you think the infrastructure is in place to handle it?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/06/coronavirus-crisis-exposes-india-social-inequalities-200626060045684.html

This pretty much sums it all up. If you've got money you'll be able to get decent care, if you're poor you're a bit fucked.

Well, that's just fucking wonderful-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/12/immunity-to-covid-19-could-be-lost-in-months-uk-study-suggests

There better be something in the T cells theory.

Immunity to Covid-19 could be lost in months, UK study suggests
Exclusive: King’s College London team found steep drops in patients’ antibody levels three months after infection
 A Cambridge University virologist said the study should ‘put another nail in the coffin of herd immunity’. 
People who have recovered from Covid-19 may lose their immunity to the disease within months, according to research suggesting the virus could reinfect people year after year, like common colds.

In the first longitudinal study of its kind, scientists analysed the immune response of more than 90 patients and healthcare workers at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS foundation trust and found levels of antibodies that can destroy the virus peaked about three weeks after the onset of symptoms then swiftly declined.

Blood tests revealed that while 60% of people marshalled a “potent” antibody response at the height of their battle with the virus, only 17% retained the same potency three months later. Antibody levels fell as much as 23-fold over the period. In some cases, they became undetectable.

“People are producing a reasonable antibody response to the virus, but it’s waning over a short period of time and depending on how high your peak is, that determines how long the antibodies are staying around,” said Dr Katie Doores, lead author on the study at King’s College London.

The study has implications for the development of a vaccine, and for the pursuit of “herd immunity” in the community over time.

The immune system has multiple ways to fight the coronavirus but if antibodies are the main line of defence, the findings suggested people could become reinfected in seasonal waves and that vaccines may not protect them for long.

“Infection tends to give you the best-case scenario for an antibody response, so if your infection is giving you antibody levels that wane in two to three months, the vaccine will potentially do the same thing,” said Doores. “People may need boosting and one shot might not be sufficient.”

Early results from the University of Oxford have shown that the coronavirus vaccine it is developing produces lower levels of antibodies in macaques than are seen in humans infected with the virus. While the vaccine appeared to protect the animals from serious infection, they still became infected and may have been able to pass on the virus.

Speaking on Sky News, Prof Robin Shattock of Imperial College London said a competing vaccine developed by his group could be available in the first half of next year if clinical trials go well. But he cautioned there was “no certainty” any of the vaccines in development would work, and said it is still unclear what kind of immune response is needed to prevent infection.
The King’s College study is the first to have monitored antibody levels in patients and hospital workers for three months after symptoms emerged. The scientists drew on test results from 65 patients and six healthcare workers who tested positive for the virus, and a further 31 staff who volunteered to have regular antibody tests between March and June.

The study, which has been submitted to a journal but has yet to be peer-reviewed, found that antibody levels rose higher and lasted longer in patients who were severe cases. This may be because the patients have more virus and churn out more antibodies to fight the infection.

There are four other types of coronavirus in widespread circulation, which cause the common cold. “One thing we know about these coronaviruses is that people can get reinfected fairly often,” said Prof Stuart Neil, a co-author on the study. “What that must mean is that the protective immunity people generate doesn’t last very long. It looks like Sars-Cov-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, might be falling into that pattern as well.”

Prof Jonathan Heeney, a virologist at the University of Cambridge, said the study confirmed a growing body of evidence that immunity to Covid-19 is short-lived. “Most importantly, it puts another nail in the coffin of the dangerous concept of herd immunity,” he said.

“I cannot underscore how important it is that the public understands that getting infected by this virus is not a good thing. Some of the public, especially the youth, have become somewhat cavalier about getting infected, thinking that they would contribute to herd immunity. Not only will they place themselves at risk, and others, by getting infected, and losing immunity, they may even put themselves at greater risk of more severe lung disease if they get infected again in the years to come.”

But Prof Arne Akbar, an immunologist at UCL, said antibodies are only part of the story. There is growing evidence, he said, that T cells produced to fight common colds can protect people as well. Those patients who fight the virus with T cells may not need to churn out high levels of antibodies, he added.
Shattock said the study was important and indicated that neutralising antibodies rapidly wane. “This certainly suggests that we cannot be confident natural infection will be protective for a significant proportion of individuals, nor certain of the duration of any protection.”

He added: “We would however expect that re-infection would be less severe for any individual as they will still retain immune memory allowing them to more rapidly respond. Nevertheless they could still be a source of onward transmission.

“It does indicate that vaccines need to do better than natural infection, providing consistent responses in the majority of individuals and sustained levels of protective antibodies. Ultimately this may require the use of annual boosting immunisations, particularly for the most vulnerable. This could be delivered alongside annual influenza immunisations.”

18 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Genuinely odd.

I could definitely see why during the peak. 

I’m sure the cunts would have insisted they were worn everywhere, if they hadn’t made such an almighty arse of equipping our NHS/care homes with PPE that such a diktat would inevitably have made the situation even worse, when clinical teams weren’t able to buy any stock off Amazon or wherever. Imagine the toilet-roll hoarder brigade if everyone legally has to wear a mask, with the obvious inference it could be the difference between saving their life and not. Instead we kept getting the it’s inconclusive if they help or make it worse message.

Less sure why they’ve still not done it, now the PPE crisis has been eased. I’d say perhaps it’s because they want to let the NHS/care homes build up surplus stock ahead of spike/wave 2.0, but I wouldn’t credit them with being able to think that far in advance. We all know they’ll just run round with their arses on fire again, advising nurses to wrap red, white and blue tinfoil round their faces, whenever the picture changes.

Well, it's all doom & gloom in here as per usual. Did you know that there are now less than 1500 people in hospital in England with Covid-19 and that number has reduced by over 40% in the last fortnight? That's 1.17 people per hospital. 

Also, most cases we are identifying now are asymptomatic.

I was surprised to learn this weekend, that if we did testing for flu in this country, in the same way we are testing for Covid, we would identify anywhere between 50% and 77% asymptomatic cases: https://www.nhs.uk/news/medical-practice/three-quarters-of-people-with-flu-have-no-symptoms/

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Well, it's all doom & gloom in here as per usual. Did you know that there are now less than 1500 people in hospital in England with Covid-19 and that number has reduced by over 40% in the last fortnight? That's 1.17 people per hospital. 

Also, most cases we are identifying now are asymptomatic.

I was surprised to learn this weekend, that if we did testing for flu in this country, in the same way we are testing for Covid, we would identify anywhere between 50% and 77% asymptomatic cases: https://www.nhs.uk/news/medical-practice/three-quarters-of-people-with-flu-have-no-symptoms/

Did you know that there are now more than 44,000 people been killed by this flu like virus and that it's possible that some of those caught it off of asymptomatic people? Did you also know that England accounts for the vast majority of those deaths across the UK? Did you also know that the vast majority of those asymptomatic cases are in England with a small minority in the rest of the UK? Did you also know that England is the only country in the UK that has eased the majority of the lockdown, even though their numbers are way higher than the rest of the UK combined? Did you also know that England has a prime minister who is well known to be a liar? Did you also know that all home countries except England have refused to completely ease lockdown until the numbers are genuinely low, in order to avoid rapid spikes like in other countries?

What? You did? Well, fuck my old boots. Is your name Nick Hancock? Or maybe that woman who wanted to pin it all on the scientists? Or maybe even Dominic Cummings?