You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

19 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Why is it never Henley-On-Thames, or Windsor, or Chippenham or some other tally-ho Tory loving hole? Might actually put some pressure on these bellends in government if it was their support base that this virus was running rampant amongst.

It is their base now, Wrexham went Tory and it's red wall agogo with a few of the others too.

This new breed of Tory doesn't discriminate anyway, they think we're all cunts.

• Upvote 1

176 deaths yesterday and it barely gets a mention now due to no more daily press briefings, it’s  like the UK having the third highest death toll in the world has magically disappeared.

With ‘Super Saturday’ upon us and cities going into lockdown I guess this is the new normal

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Stickman said:

176 deaths yesterday and it barely gets a mention now due to no more daily press briefings, it’s  like the UK having the third highest death toll in the world has magically disappeared.

With ‘Super Saturday’ upon us and cities going into lockdown I guess this is the new normal

This Pillar 1 or Pillar 2 though?

This care homes or hospital deaths?

This include pig dog flu or not?

I’m just about sick of everything now. I’m sick of this government playing games with peoples lives. I’m sick of the media enabling it. I’m sick of the great British public swallowing this shit sandwich we’re being fed and claiming it’s as good as you’ll get in a Michelin starred restaurant. 

I feel like fucking it all off and watching it all burn down around me while drinking a fucking nice brandy and saying I told you so. 

• Upvote 4

This is England hospitals only. 

When you see this, we’re probably on course for consistently < 50 deaths per day now, almost exclusively people > 60 with underlying health issues. You obviously think it’s safe enough to go about your daily routine now.

CFC2C9FB-E463-4AAA-9757-8C0A98E53C0E.png

However, when you see that we’re still recording 150-200 deaths per day, I do wonder where they are all coming from. 

The other home nations are posting minimal figures, so is it still care homes keeping the numbers up? Or is it something else?

Although I suppose these do show an improving situation.

7A6991CA-D0BC-409E-A391-254B199A5F6D.png

07207846-6129-492F-9748-E450A2540073.png

I suppose the main question on the infections is the demographics of those infected (health, age, ethnicity etc) and those who test positive, them making sure they are isolating so not to spread the virus. 

15 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Any more on this?  My wifes mum lives in Wrexham. Very old and very doddery with no family close by.  

No solid news, but I have got as far as understanding that the pillar 2 test results are only included in the UK total, they are not provided at national state level, or regional level. So, there were 653 confirmed cases yesterday, *somewhere* in the UK.

40 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I suppose the main question on the infections is the demographics of those infected (health, age, ethnicity etc) and those who test positive, them making sure they are isolating so not to spread the virus. 

About that... https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/01/leicester-outbreak-driven-by-infection-rise-in-under-19s-says-phe-report

A rapid investigation into the Covid-19 outbreak in Leicester by Public Health England has revealed it has been driven by increased infections in the under-19s and people of working age, while the average age of those infected is around 40.

The proportion of infections among under-19s had fallen to around 5% in mid-May after the initial epidemic peak, the report published on Wednesday revealed. But it has since risen to 15% and the proportion of positive tests in working age people has also risen to the same amount.

The finding has prompted calls from the epidemiologists who carried out the study for further research to explore whether the return of children to school is connected to the growth in infections, although there is as yet no analytical link. The trends have not been observed in other parts of the east Midlands or related travel areas.
The infection rate recorded in the community from so-called pillar-2 testing – swab tests conducted outside NHS hospitals and Public Health England labs – was more than four times higher than the average for England. Of the 3,216 cases in the city, almost a third, 944, came in the past 14 days, the study said.

It showed how outbreaks took hold in the North Evington and Belgrave areas of the city, with the two wards accounting for over a quarter of the infections between 11 June and 25 June. Cases were linked to food factories, food outlets, shops and supermarkets.
There were also infections at one of the sites of University Hospitals of Leicester NHS trust. On one ward, five patients who were screened as coronavirus-negative on admission were subsequently detected as coronavirus-positive but were likely to be incubating the virus when they were admitted. All other patients and staff were screened and a dozen staff were found to be infected but were asymptomatic.
The ethnicity of the people infected broadly reflected the makeup of the population, which is about 50% from black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds. The increase in infections was attributed, in part at least, to an increase in testing. There was a linear growth in infections rather than an exponential acceleration that would be characteristic of the unrestrained spread of the virus, PHE said.

The report showed that, of the areas of England where infections exceeded the expectations of the PHE epidemiologists between 13 and 22 June, Leicester was top.

The scientists expected 582 infections but 711 were recorded. The Yorkshire locations of Bradford, Sheffield, Leeds, Barnsley and Kirklees also surprised the researchers with outbreaks considerably more serious than anticipated.

The highly localised nature of the outbreak was revealed by contrasting it with the fortunes of nearby towns and cities. From the start of June to 22 June, the infection rate in Leicester was almost 10 times higher than its nearest neighbouring city of Nottingham and 20 times higher than Coventry.

Fortunately our ever competent government is going to release 'detailed guidelines' about schools re-opening in September. I'm sure they'll be rigorous, well thought through and won't in any way be used to have a self-defeating pop at unions and teachers.

3 hours ago, Stickman said:

I think the media is letting them off the hook, the fact that the death rates are still miles ahead of our EU neighbours is barely discussed now. This is yesterday’s figures:

CE847C92-03DC-4CF9-A040-3D6EF2DAA402.png

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I think the media is letting them off the hook, the fact that the death rates are still miles ahead of our EU neighbours is barely discussed now. This is yesterday’s figures:

CE847C92-03DC-4CF9-A040-3D6EF2DAA402.png

That's staggering. But I've probably never been more disillusioned with politics in my life; post-Cummings they know they can get away with absolutely anything. And while I do to some extent understand Starmer attempting to play the 'bigger man' – particularly given those poll results which show that members of the public largely still blame each other rather than the government – how about trying to educate the public as to the scandal that is our response to this? He should be absolutely fucking hammering them. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

Out of interest, when did Italy, France, Germany or Spain last have as many as 176 deaths in a day?

I wouldn't take the figures as read, but I imagine they give a reasonable picture.

May 9 in Spain. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

That's staggering. But I've probably never been more disillusioned with politics in my life; post-Cummings they know they can get away with absolutely anything. And while I do to some extent understand Starmer attempting to play the 'bigger man' – particularly given those poll results which show that members of the public largely still blame each other rather than the government – how about trying to educate the public as to the scandal that is our response to this? He should be absolutely fucking hammering them. 

I agree with your first line but with regards the idea of educating the public, one thing I worry about now is that - like in the States with Trump - people have 'picked their side' and they'll just double down on it no matter what they do. Brexit culture has seeped into everything else, you saw that with Cummings' jaunt to his parents, people were unable to separate him from the fact he was in 'their' team. You're seeing that in the States. People not willing to discuss lockdowns or rising cases in particular States because 'their guy' is 'owning the libtards'. Even if they lose their jobs and their nan dies as a result.  

That's where we're at now. There's nothing Johnson can do to piss these people off. I suspect the only way to turn it around is some kind of scorched earth policy, let Johnson and Trump scorch the Earth until there's virtually nothing left and then try and pick up the pieces, sadly me and you - who voted not for these people - live on said Earth too. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Why is it never Henley-On-Thames, or Windsor, or Chippenham or some other tally-ho Tory loving hole? Might actually put some pressure on these bellends in government if it was their support base that this virus was running rampant amongst.

Population density and big fuck off multi million pound houses could be a clue

11 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

If only their base was toffs. It's fucking idiots.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I agree with your first line but with regards the idea of educating the public, one thing I worry about now is that - like in the States with Trump - people have 'picked their side' and they'll just double down on it no matter what they do. Brexit culture has seeped into everything else, you saw that with Cummings' jaunt to his parents, people were unable to separate him from the fact he was in 'their' team. You're seeing that in the States. People not willing to discuss lockdowns or rising cases in particular States because 'their guy' is 'owning the libtards'. 

That's where we're at now. There's nothing Johnson can do to piss these people off. I suspect the only way to turn it around is some kind of scorched earth policy, let Johnson and Trump scorch the Earth until there's virtually nothing left and then try and pick up the pieces, sadly me and you - who voted not for these people - live on said Earth too. 

Yes, sadly I think you're probably right. But I suppose that's why I at least want Starmer to go down swinging to some extent.

19 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Population density and big fuck off multi million pound houses could be a clue

11 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

If only their base was toffs. It's fucking idiots.

1 minute ago, mattyq said:

The average house price in Henley is £750k

They don't have to mix with the hoi-polloi

I know all of this chaps, it was more wishful thinking. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Stanley Johnson has posted a video from his villa in Greece. He got there via Bulgaria. Neither country are on the list of countries allowed to visit from the UK. 

I'd do time to fill this planet in. 

That's how they roll, they do it on purpose. they hate you and want you to know it. 

• Upvote 1