You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

10 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

I could....plus that is nor just bravado. But i'm actually a peaceful guy in real life, albeit tetchy at the moment. Yer still a piss taking cunt john ;) Sort it out lad, we're all going to die soon and you'll regret your outlook on life. 

10 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

I#m pretty sober to be honest. SD just rubs everyone up the wrong way with his Gov't arse licking tactics....plus i'd wipe him out without breaking a sweat. So need to stir the shit J. ;) 

Negged for smileys.

50 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

As I said earlier, the average age in Italy is 45.9. I notice SD chose to ignore that fact though. 

The average age of infection or death? Because I’ve definitely seen stats that the average age of death is around 80 somewhere.  

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

The average age of infection or death? Because I’ve definitely seen stats that the average age of death is around 80 somewhere.  

Infected mate. But the more people who are infected leads to higher death rates amongst those in the more susceptible groups. It's a vicious circle. Italy also have one of the highest old age populations in the World. The overall mortality rate is always going to depend on the demographics of a country. The mortality rate is not age standardised as some would have you believe, professors who work in the field of epidemiology tend to know what they are on about. 

12 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Although older people are more susceptible to dying through this the average age in Italy alone is 45.9. So stop posting crap. 

Its median age is now 45.9 years compared to the EU's median of 42.8, higher than any other European country except Germany.

Here’s where he got 45.9 from. It’s Italy’s median age.  

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Its median age is now 45.9 years compared to the EU's median of 42.8, higher than any other European country except Germany.

Here’s where he got 45.9 from. It’s Italy’s median age.  

That doesn't excuse SD for saying we'll only die if we are over 81 in an attempt at humour. This virus might be more fatal for the older generation but it doesn't attack due to age, there are many other factors due to underlying health problems, we are all susceptible one way or the other. We also don't know the repercussions it will have on those who are unfortunate enough to have caught it. 

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

That doesn't excuse SD for saying we'll only die if we are over 81 in an attempt at humour. This virus might be more fatal for the older generation but it doesn't attack due to age, there are many other factors due to underlying health problems, we are all susceptible one way or the other. We also don't know the repercussions it will have on those who are unfortunate enough to have caught it. 

So no acknowledgement you got it completely incorrect?  

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

I think it's been said many times but an overwhelmed NHS means that there will be many people that will suffer or die from non corona related illnesses/accidents/conditions that would normally have been able to get the care they needed. This has the potential to affect many more people outside of the projected high risks.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Philtrum said:

I think it's been said many times but an overwhelmed NHS means that there will be many people that will suffer or die from non corona related illnesses/accidents/conditions that would normally have been able to get the care they needed. This has the potential to affect many more people outside of the projected high risks.

Exactly. Plus people of all ages are dying due to this virus. Taking average ages of those who have died is pointless, unless they were 100%. People just like to back each other up regardless of the facts and complexity of it all, pretty pathetic trying to gain oneupmanship on such a topic, although it comes as no surprise to see the usual knobs going down that route. 

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Exactly. Plus people of all ages are dying due to this virus. Taking average ages of those who have died is pointless, unless they were 100%. People just like to back each other up regardless of the facts and complexity of it all, pretty pathetic trying to gain oneupmanship on such a topic, although it comes as no surprise to see the usual knobs going down that route. 

Well you did have a go at a fellow poster for ignoring your (wrong) statistical figure.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
12 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

We're all going to die from a disease whose victims have an average age of 81.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I didn't say that. I would have hoped you at least understood the meaning of the word "average".

In the context you posted this you were implying exactly what I'm accusing you of. I'm fully aware what the word 'Average' means, it doesn't detract from the way you used it. 

5 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Back each other up regardless of the facts - despicable. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, SasaS said:

Well you did have a go at a fellow poster for ignoring your (wrong) statistical figure.

I was having a go at him for the way he replied, although no surprise to see you jumping in on this. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

In the context you posted this you were implying exactly what I'm accusing you of. I'm fully aware what the word 'Average' means, it doesn't detract from the way you used it. 

The way I used it was in accordance with its actual meaning.

It stands to reason that if the average age of death is 81, then it will kill people younger than that too.

• Downvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Back each other up regardless of the facts - despicable. 

You post loads of unfounded wannabe facts, but you carry on regardless. I hold my hands up if I got the mortality rate by age mixed up with other demographics, but you and your ilk (the right leaning knobs) have a bone to chew, and like the good little dogs you are you'll chew on it for ages until you get bored. 

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/12/21173783/coronavirus-death-age-covid-19-elderly-seniors

In Italy, a country with one of the world’s oldest populations, a March 4 analysis by the national health institute found that of the 105 patients who died from the virus, the average age was 81. This put a 20-year gap between the average age of people who tested positive for the virus and the deceased, the institute said. On Friday, an ICU physician in Lombardy — the epicenter of Italy’s outbreak — told JAMA there have been only two deaths of people under the age of 50.

• Downvote 1