You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Good luck with that once the spike from these mass gatherings hit. 

Absolute fucking cretins. 

We'll know in a week or so.

A lot less people seem to be sticking to the lockdown recently, and where things have been relaxed we haven't seen infection rates increase. That works globally too, apart from in Iran. I'm hopeful that we won't see a spike.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jun/04/nhs-track-and-trace-system-not-expected-to-be-operating-fully-until-september-coronavirus

Another clustrfuck with Serco getting paid for it.

The NHS coronavirus test-and-trace system designed to prevent a second deadly wave is not expected to work at full speed until September or October, the Guardian has learned.

Tony Prestedge, the chief operating officer of the NHS scheme, admitted in a webinar to staff that the programme would be “imperfect” at launch, adding that he hoped it would be operational at a world-class level within three to four months.

It comes as a leaked email from the chief executive of Serco – one of the main companies contracted to deliver the service – revealed how he doubted the scheme would evolve smoothly but said he wanted it to “cement the position of the private sector” in the NHS supply chain. 

The disclosures come as scientists said lockdown measures should not be eased until the test-and-trace service is well established. The system, which tracks those who have contracted coronavirus and anyone they have been in contact with, before asking them to self-isolate, was rolled out across England last week with the help of 25,000 contact tracers.

I've seen the lockdown being flouted every sunny weekend and been surprised the numbers are still going down. I guess they would be going down faster with full adherence? Schools an offices are the biggest thing though. Especially work offices. People commuting to the nearest big city, sharing air with hundreds for 8 hours, then back home to their respective commuter towns. 5 times a week.

1 minute ago, Aw Geez said:

I've seen the lockdown being flouted every sunny weekend and been surprised the numbers are still going down. I guess they would be going down faster with full adherence? Schools an offices are the biggest thing though. Especially work offices. People commuting to the nearest big city, sharing air with hundreds for 8 hours, then back home to their respective commuter towns. 5 times a week.

I think bars, restaurants and the likes of the Tube would have been the biggest source of spreading the virus. Loads of people on a beach isn't ideal, but the consensus seems to be that it's exceptionally difficult to spread outdoors. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

I think bars, restaurants and the likes of the Tube would have been the biggest source of spreading the virus. Loads of people on a beach isn't ideal, but the consensus seems to be that it's exceptionally difficult to spread outdoors. 

True, I drive to work so didn't think of buses/tubes.

I'm confused by the test stats. From what I can gather, you can get a test if you are showing symptoms. If you're not showing symptoms you cannot get a test. So if you're asympomatic, you're not allowed to get a test?

If less people are being tested surely the number of infections will go down because less people are being tested. Would it not be better in that case to open up testing to more people and see if the stats still go down?

2 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

I'm confused by the test stats. From what I can gather, you can get a test if you are showing symptoms. If you're not showing symptoms you cannot get a test. So if you're asympomatic, you're not allowed to get a test?

If less people are being tested surely the number of infections will go down because less people are being tested. Would it not be better in that case to open up testing to more people and see if the stats still go down?

Are they testing all contacts of those that test positive? That theoretically should be the most efficient use of tests, if there was a risk of reaching their testing limit (which it doesn't look like at the minute in fairness).

3 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Are they testing all contacts of those that test positive? That theoretically should be the most efficient use of tests, if there was a risk of reaching their testing limit (which it doesn't look like at the minute in fairness).

No just told to self isolate I think. You're only supposed to get a test if you're feeling rough. It's gonna be hard to pin down fatality rates for that reason, 20 million people could have had it in the UK for all we know. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

They've said that they have capacity to test 200,000 per day but not that many tests are being used. It's hardly surprising that the numbers are going down if the number of people being tested is going down. So test people with symptoms, test and track but also if someone just wants a test to find out if they have it they should be granted. 200,000 per day - if what they have claimed is true, there should be plenty of capacity to increase who is being tested.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The ONS is testing people from thousands of random households, the stats I posted are from that.

So the testers are going into people's houses and testing them? If not, it's hard to believe they are random.

4 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

So the testers are going into people's houses and testing them? If not, it's hard to believe they are random.

That's right, yes.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/news/news/onsjointlyleadinggovernmentslargescalevirusinfectionandantibodyteststudy

Twenty thousand households in England are being contacted to take part in the first wave of a major new government study to track COVID-19 in the general population. The study will help improve understanding around the current rate of infection and how many people are likely to have developed antibodies to the virus.

Participants in the study will form a representative sample of the entire UK population by age and geography. The results will help scientists and the government in the ongoing response to the coronavirus outbreak, with initial findings expected to be available in early May.

Led by the Department for Health and Social Care (DHSC) and the Office for National Statistics (ONS), the study draws on the world-leading scientific expertise of the University of Oxford, backed by the proven research capabilities of human data science company IQVIA and the National Biosample Centre in Milton Keynes.

Participants will provide samples taken from self-administered nose and throat swabs and answer a few short questions during a home visit by a trained health worker. The swab tests will show whether or not participants currently have the virus. They will be asked to take further tests every week for the first five weeks, then every month for 12 months.

In total, 25,000 people will take part in the pilot phase of the survey, with plans to extend it to up to around 300,000 over the next 12 months.

Adults from around 1,000 households will also provide a blood sample taken by a trained nurse, phlebotomist or healthcare assistant. These tests will help determine what proportion of the population has developed antibodies to COVID-19. Participants will be asked to give further samples monthly for the next 12 months.

Swabs will be taken from all participating households, whether their members are reporting symptoms or not. Blood will not be taken in any households where someone has symptoms of COVID-19 or is currently self-isolating or shielding.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

They've said that they have capacity to test 200,000 per day but not that many tests are being used. It's hardly surprising that the numbers are going down if the number of people being tested is going down. So test people with symptoms, test and track but also if someone just wants a test to find out if they have it they should be granted. 200,000 per day - if what they have claimed is true, there should be plenty of capacity to increase who is being tested.

They haven't given figures for the number of people being being tested for almost two weeks, just the number of tests 'carried out', which may or may not include antibody tests and kits just posted out but not returned and analysed. It's a complete mess.

Viva la revolution!

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-plans-for-mandatory-face-coverings-dont-go-far-enough-doctors-say-12000768

Coronavirus: People should start wearing face masks now - and not just on public transport, doctors say

The British Medical Association says the policy shouldn't be restricted to public transport - and it should be enforced now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

Viva la revolution!

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-plans-for-mandatory-face-coverings-dont-go-far-enough-doctors-say-12000768

Coronavirus: People should start wearing face masks now - and not just on public transport, doctors say

The British Medical Association says the policy shouldn't be restricted to public transport - and it should be enforced now.

I’m now down to my last disposable mask. Hook me up with some links, man.