You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

31 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Our tax pay for the deaths of Yemen children too. 

Perhaps would should all congregate and spread covid in protest.  It'll really help. 

I have no issue with your criticism of protesters not distancing, of course they should do if they’re able. It’s your casual downplaying of anti-black racism in America that I have a problem with. 

From someone who’s exercised about the systemic discrimination, oppression and violence that the Palestinians are subject to, I’d have expected a bit more solidarity. And I’m pretty certain most Palestinians who read your statement would too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

This is one of the most blinkered, regressive things I’ve read for a while, well done.

Systemic racism is legitimised with thinking like yours as it allows the racists to cower under the cover of acquiescence. 

He might not have been killed because he was black, but the system he lived in means that he’s far more likely to have been. This has informed his whole life, being stopped for no reason, being viewed with suspicion because of a racial bias that permeates that shithole of a country, a right wing grip on policy and a fucking toddler who thinks he won a talent competition to be president and is playing out his adolescent fantasies on real life and fanning the flames of intolerance and racial persecution.  

If you can’t see that then fuck you, you’re part of the conspiracy of silence.

There's a lot of statistics about black people being more likely to be stopped by police, arrested, beaten, killed, charged, imprisoned and serve longer sentences for the same crime. 

But looking at those same stats except comparing genders there's more evidence that he was killed for being male than he was for being black. Its harder to imagine the cop having a woman pinned down by her neck like that.

I'm not denying that there's racist cops, but if the justice system didn't treat men in general so badly it would massively benefit the black community by extension

5 minutes ago, Aventus said:

But looking at those same stats except comparing genders there's more evidence that he was killed for being male than he was for being black. Its harder to imagine the cop having a woman pinned down by her neck like that.

Which stats man?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Aventus said:

There's a lot of statistics about black people being more likely to be stopped by police, arrested, beaten, killed, charged, imprisoned and serve longer sentences for the same crime. 

I'm not denying that there's racist cops, but if the justice system didn't treat men in general so badly it would massively benefit the black community by extension

Off topic now, but that's just not true. There's an extensive list of black women who are victims of excessive force from cops in the US every year. 

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Off topic now, but that's just not true. There's an extensive list of black women who are victims of excessive force from cops in the US every year. 

I'm not denying that black women are victimised too compared to white women. 

But if we're comparing it to black men, it's not even the same sport, nevermind ballpark. 

1 minute ago, Liverpool lad said:

What posts have i missed that have aged well?

In the Coronavirus thread we are talking about the protests in America.

13 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I'm not denying that black women are victimised too compared to white women. 

But if we're comparing it to black men, it's not even the same sport, nevermind ballpark. 

Right, so because the disparity between male and female victims is greater than that between black and white victims, can we conclude that any given killing of a black man in America by police is more likely to be based on gender than race?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

S*n's political editor: "Millions of jobs could be lost, many of them S*n readers."

Well silver linings and all that.

You think it is a good thing people lose their jobs because they read a particular newspaper? 

21 minutes ago, Neil G said:

Right, so because the disparity between male and female victims is greater than that between black and white victims, can we conclude that any given killing of a black man in America by police is more likely to be based on gender than race?

Yes. 

When a police officer makes the decision to shoot, the likelyhood of gender influencing that decision carries more weight than the race of the victim. 

White men are apparently the privileged class, but almost ten times as many white men are shot and killed than women of all races combined.

You want black people to stop getting killed by police? How about we stop all men getting killed by police and we'll have got ourselves 99% of the way there. 

• Downvote 1