You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It definitely made a difference in Q1, when they fared considerably better than the early lockdown countries, which is understandable since they didn't over night shut down hospitality industry in March and disrupt everything else that much.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/10294864/2-15052020-AP-EN.pdf/5a7ea909-e708-f3d3-8375-e2510298e1b8

As I said earlier to SpyBee - the first death there was March 11.

The first quarter had nothing to do with the country's response. The next three or four will see if their medical strategy to the virus "pays" any dividends.

This is from last week:

STOCKHOLM — On a recent weekday at Vällingby market, on the edge of Sweden’s capital, there were few signs that the Nordic country’s unique coronavirus strategy is saving it any economic pain.

Despite it being mid-morning, the stalls were quiet, and the underground trains arriving at the station below the market square were virtually empty.

“There are just no customers,” said Mike Singh, who runs a clothing stall. “Everyone’s staying at home.”

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

As I said earlier to SpyBee - the first death there was March 11.

The first quarter had nothing to do with the country's response. The next three or four will see if their medical strategy to the virus "pays" any dividends.

This is from last week:

STOCKHOLM — On a recent weekday at Vällingby market, on the edge of Sweden’s capital, there were few signs that the Nordic country’s unique coronavirus strategy is saving it any economic pain.

Despite it being mid-morning, the stalls were quiet, and the underground trains arriving at the station below the market square were virtually empty.

“There are just no customers,” said Mike Singh, who runs a clothing stall. “Everyone’s staying at home.”

Far be it from me to question the market stall owner Mike Singh's testimony and your words, as I am sure you and Mike are both sound guys, but if I may still be so bold as to refer you to the actual Eurostat figures for Q1.  

11 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Far be it from me to question the market stall owner Mike Singh's testimony and your words, as I am sure you and Mike are both sound guys, but if I may still be so bold as to refer you to the actual Eurostat figures for Q1.  

Well I am not sure Mike or I have mentioned Q1 - other than to point out Swedish governments response to the virus came after 90% of it was past.

Guess we will find out after Q2, and 3 and 4.

I will let Mike know you said he has nothing to worry about. He can spread the word there.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I see the Deputy mayor of Liverpool, Lynnie Hinnigan has been suspended for two months for breaking the Lockdown rules. Not much of a punishment considering she lied about the situation when it first came to light. 

On the subject of excess deaths, I see that we're currently at 'winter levels', with 50,000 excess deaths at this time of the year than normal.

That being the case, am I right to think that there's likely to be a lower 'excess deaths' number this winter, and probably next winter, as those who were likely to succumb to a winter death have passed 12-18 months earlier than what might have happened naturally?

Obviously I'm not excusing the figures and the calamity, but there is perhaps an inverse rebound effect to this.

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well I am not sure Mike or I have mentioned Q1 - other than to point out Swedish governments response to the virus came after 90% of it was past.

Guess we will find out after Q2, and 3 and 4.

I will let Mike know you said he has nothing to worry about. He can spread the word there.

I would expect that the overall Swedish economy, with a number of well known export brands in manufacturing and retail sectors such as Ericsson, Volvo, Scania, Saab-Grippen, Husqvarna, Ikea, H&M, SAS etc would be more sensitive to the overall demand in the EU and beyond than the in-country demand in markets, so it may not be that easy to calculate the impact of their government actions alone, in the quarters beyond Q1 and from Q3 on in particular.

However important, Mike's stall may not be the main driving force of their economy. We however, do wish Mike all the best in the upcoming quarters.  

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

On the subject of excess deaths, I see that we're currently at 'winter levels', with 50,000 excess deaths at this time of the year than normal.

That being the case, am I right to think that there's likely to be a lower 'excess deaths' number this winter, and probably next winter, as those who were likely to succumb to a winter death have passed 12-18 months earlier than what might have happened naturally?

Obviously I'm not excusing the figures and the calamity, but there is perhaps an inverse rebound effect to this.

Who can say mate. Plenty of people will suffer due to other illnesses brought on by this unusual situation. Maybe's next winter we could see yet another shitty virus surface, plus this one won't totally burn out unless they find a vaccine. It also gives the Tories some leeway on death figures for the future, who knows what those evil bastards have planned for the poor , the sick and the vulnerable. 

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

We however, do wish Mike all the best in the upcoming quarters.  

I will quote my post from this morning.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

What is certainly not proven yet is that their response made any difference really one way or another.

Be a right kick n the sack to everyone if we all end up in the same place, medically and economically regardless, eh?

That seems to be the trajectory now.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I will quote my post from this morning.

Be a right kick n the sack to everyone if we all end up in the same place, medically and economically regardless, eh?

That seems to be the trajectory now.

Which we economically probably will, eventually, especially in Europe, Slovakia said that they introduced very strict measures very early on because they cannot afford not to be ready when the much harder hit Western Europe finally gets going, it is true for most of the New Europe. Greece and Croatia also moved very early and very strongly because they are highly dependent on tourism and regardless of negligible human impact of the epidemic, they may and up (will end up) suffering more economically than much harder hit countries with more diverse economies.

So, maybe the second wave would be more testing, tracing, masks and isolation of hotspots and defense of vulnerable and less of lockdowns for all.  

So we have one of the most useless fucking governments on the planet for dealing with this virus and we're supposed to be having on average around 8000 people a day still being infected in England alone, and somehow relaxing the so-called lockdown rules is going to turn out well?

I can't see how there's not a second wave incoming, and the signs of it might appear a lot faster than in two weeks time.

At least people will have had while to get outdoors again and meet other people if restrictions are put back in place, but it'll surely be at the cost of a lot more lives. (incase anyone's wondering, I'd have preferred restrictions in place a bit longer. People with extreme mental health issues from being stuck inside should've been given some way of getting out more though to prevent that from being prolonged.)

I might be repeating myself a bit from earlier but I'd been up all night. Had Saints Row 3 Remastered on the way and nobody to get the door so had to stay up. At least this reality can fuck off for a while as I play that now I suppose.

We've talked about the world having gone mad a lot recently but with this latest chaos in the US it really has tipped over into proper madness, it's hard even keeping up with what's going on each day now.

Date

Cornwall & IOS C19 running total of cases

+/-  previous week

Milestones

Tue 31 March

+?

Mon 6 April

+117

Mon 13 April

+104

Mon 20 April

+99

Mon 27 April

+64

Mon 4 May

+48

VE weekend 8-10 May

Lockdown easing 13 May

Mon 11 May

+35

Mon 18 May

+14

Mon 25 May

+12

Mon 1 June

+3

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

I see the Deputy mayor of Liverpool, Lynnie Hinnigan has been suspended for two months for breaking the Lockdown rules. Not much of a punishment considering she lied about the situation when it first came to light. 

The 'people were just passing through to drop prezzies off' was more believable than the pile of shite Cummings got away with.  

d55d6628-559b-4e97-bbc0-44a28787c9ad.jpg

It's easy to get swept along by the pageantry of it all, but you should never forget how simple all this is.

The bloke above, the one overseeing this disaster, entered a popularity contest for Suffolk West in 2010 and 24,312 people felt he was the best person, though 23,800 disagreed and voted for someone else.

To be fair, he's increased his win rate since then, though in 2015 the UKIP candidate came 2nd, which suggests Suffolk West is full of absolutely foul human beings.  He is their king.

That's it.  That's the story of this guy in charge. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Good stuff. Has Spain opened bars up yet? Opened here yesterday so we may well get a spike from that. 

Yeah, couple of weeks ago. Last week they allowed people inside as well outside.

But different parts of the country are at different phases. Federalism has helped a lot. It's not just at autonomous community level (Andalusia, Galicia, etc) it's regional (Sevilla, Jaen, Cordoba etc). For example Malaga and Granada are a phase behind the rest of Andalusia. 

In fact, in Castile y León it was even more decentralised. Each health centre which covers about 50k/75k people took their own decision. So for example more populous areas like Salamanca and Burgos stayed a stage behind the smaller towns.

Seems to have worked really well, and the opposition from the right - PP and the Vox loons - just look like the utter cunts that they are. They wanted everything opened up much earlier, and everywhere at the same time more or less. Vox were holding Trump supporter type protests and people were lobbing rotten fruit at them from their balconies. 

The economy has obviously taken a big hit, especially in the south where tourism is an enormous part of total business here, but people have been generally pretty understanding and supportive. 

I haven't actually been in a bar yet but walking around town you can see things are being managed pretty well. 

The figures are no doubt not exactly as reported, doubt they are in any country, but I've been surprised by how well Pedro and co have done. 

I think most of the public thought it would be worse. If you'd told someone in the middle of April they could go to the beach in June they wouldn't have believed you. The summer was pretty much written off. Personally, I'm still very cautious and don't particularly fancy going to the beach or bars yet, but my main worry is for friends and family in the UK.

• Upvote 2

I went for a run down Crocky Park earlier and there were gangs of people all over the main field by the church (West Derby Village end). I'm talking pockets of 8 to 10 people just sat off bevvying. Some had kids running about. People just don't give a flying fuck.