You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Just now, Dr Nowt said:

Bit Groundhog Day like, but being a miserable cunt I can't deny it's got compensations.

How you feeling now?

I'm okay now mate, on blood thinners but no side effects, just hope I don't get stabbed.

Just enjoy the peace mate, as boring as it is.

Can't be arsed fishing for the stats, does anybody know off the top of their heads how many infected/deaths there were when the lockdown first started? 

Just wondering if we're in the funny position of ending lockdown in a worse position than when we started it. 

6 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Can't be arsed fishing for the stats, does anybody know off the top of their heads how many infected/deaths there were when the lockdown first started? 

Just wondering if we're in the funny position of ending lockdown in a worse position than when we started it. 

The lockdown started on 23rd March.  On that day there were 74 new deaths in hospitals and 359 confirmed deaths in total.  There were 967 new cases that day.

Today there were 377 new deaths and 1,887 new cases. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Aventus said:

We've moved onto bumming now mate. 

7 minutes ago, TK421 said:

The lockdown started on 23rd March.  On that day there were 74 new deaths in hospitals and 359 confirmed deaths in total.  There were 967 new cases that day.

It’s definitely food for thought when you see it written down like that. 

Just now, Captain Turdseye said:

It’s definitely food for thought when you see it written down like that. 

Well the government would point to context and say that the numbers were increasing exponentially at that point, which justified the lockdown.  And that the trend now is downwards in respect of the R number, rolling seven day averages and so on. 

The issue I have with that is that the virus must have its own intrinsic R value, that is to say the R number it would have if measures weren't put in place to suppress it such as social distancing.  So surely it follows that when the lockdown is eased, the R number will increase and converge upon the true intrinsic R number of the virus.

I think that if this happens the government will stop talking about the R number, because it will make them look bad when it's above 1.  We'll see what happens. 

5 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Well the government would point to context and say that the numbers were increasing exponentially at that point, which justified the lockdown.  And that the trend now is downwards in respect of the R number, rolling seven day averages and so on. 

The issue I have with that is that the virus must have its own intrinsic R value, that is to say the R number it would have if measures weren't put in place to suppress it such as social distancing.  So surely it follows that when the lockdown is eased, the R number will increase and converge upon the true intrinsic R number of the virus.

I think that if this happens the government will stop talking about the R number, because it will make them look bad when it's above 1.  We'll see what happens. 

Surely if the numbers go up and the Govt want to avoid looking bad, they will just massage the numbers rather than reinforce the lockdown. They've shown with DomCumGate that they are willing to make alterations to the facts to prove they're right in their actions.

39 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Except the lockdown hasnt ended

3 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Except the lockdown hasnt ended

Could you tell the people out on the streets and in their cars that? I went out today for laundry and it felt like things were going back to normal, just with no shops open.

5 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Except the lockdown hasn't ended

True, but it's certainly going in that direction, shops are being given the nod to plan their re-openings, talk about schools opening in the next weeks or so. 

And the general public seem to be getting bored, add to that the recent Cumjob, they've now got an excuse to ignore any lockdown rules. 

38 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Scary

32 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

We've moved onto bumming now mate. 

Even scarier

23 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

Could you tell the people out on the streets and in their cars that? I went out today for laundry and it felt like things were going back to normal, just with no shops open.

They were all out for their laundry 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They were all out for their laundry 

So when I go and pick it up tomorrow, does that mean everyone else will also be out collecting theirs too?

Guest Pistonbroke
54 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

That's what it feels like over here as well, although all the shops have been open for a few weeks now. Started off with the smaller shops up to 800 square metres but now they are more or less all open. Restaurants have also been given the go ahead as long as people social distance, as in only so many guests and tables far enough apart. Schools (at least for our youngest) still only one day a week for a few hours. Missus also got the go ahead to start back teaching in kindergartens as of the 8th June. 

1 hour ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

I went from Dale Street to Hope Street today via Church and Bold Sts about 2pm and I was surprised at how few people were about, which was surprising given the weather.

Just now, Dougie Do'ins said:

I went from Dale Street to Hope Street today via Church and Bold Sts about 2pm and I was surprised at how few people were about, which was surprising given the weather.

Everyone must have clean clothes aplenty.